Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 23-12-2021, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyacey12
thanks everyone for your suggestions! very helpful. do you think just listening to water sounds
is good for meditation? I'm trying to use what's on Spotify and I like the sound of water :)
Yes! Anything that works really. Water is lovely.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-12-2021, 10:36 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Here's my perspective on thoughts while sitting. The goal is not to let go of them. The goal is to notice them. Once noticed the volitional act of switching attention back to the object of attending is a defacto letting go of the thought. Don't make it about the distraction. Make it about the attending.
Old 23-12-2021, 11:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Here's my perspective on thoughts while sitting. The goal is not to let go of them. The goal is to notice them. Once noticed the volitional act of switching attention back to the object of attending is a defacto letting go of the thought. Don't make it about the distraction. Make it about the attending.
This is spot on for me, nicely articulated. The arising of thoughts is only a problem if you make it into one, and the more you fight your mind, the noisier it tends to get, and the more frustrating your practice will be. Whereas if you just keep patiently bringing attention back to the object of attending (eg the breath), as JASG says, the mind will quieten down by itself after a while.
Old 24-12-2021, 10:33 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
The arising of thoughts is only a problem if you make it into one, and the more you fight your mind, the noisier it tends to get, and the more frustrating your practice will be. Whereas if you just keep patiently bringing attention back to the object of attending (eg the breath), as JASG says, the mind will quieten down by itself after a while.
Cut one head off the Hydra and two more sprout. LOL!

Mind cant focus on two things at the same time so it's really a matter of strengthening focus by assiduously attending an object. Let neuroplasticity do its behind-the-scenes work. Eventually that level of focus and clarity can be maintained without attending an object and even outside of practice.
Old 24-12-2021, 02:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Cut one head off the Hydra and two more sprout. LOL!
Perfect analogy!

I love what you said about letting neuroplasticity do its behind-the-scenes work too, I think that's exactly right; I think what often happens is that meditators feel like they've got to be actively making something happen, whereas I think it's more like you allow it to happen (usually behind the scenes, as you say). I've come to think that trusting in the process is a big part of meditation, as are patience and discipline - you get out of it what you put in, as they say.
Old 29-12-2021, 11:19 AM
Knower
Quote:
Am I the only one that can't meditate? I try to let go of thoughts but another pops up immediately after
As the great meditation master Tilopa said: "Let it settle itself". That means that you must make no effort to still your mind. Let thoughts come up and go away on their own not by pushing them away, not even by letting them go. if they stay for long, let them stay for long. Let it settle itself. If you stir the mud, it will rise to the top of the glass of water. But if you do NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING but just sit, then the mud will settle by itself.

Secondly, you must not expect to have a still mind so easily. It takes months and years of meditation to develop the quality of silence, and the time period differs from person to person, because of a number of factors such as :

1. if you practiced meditation in previous lives, then it will be easier to have a silent mind through meditation in this one.

2. If you daydream and chatter to yourself or talk too much to others then it will be difficult to develop a silent mind through just a few days or weeks or months of meditation. You must patiently go on meditating at least 30 minutes at a time daily for many years .
Old 29-12-2021, 01:36 PM
Viswa

Quote:
Am I the only one that can't meditate? I try to let go of thoughts but another pops up immediately after

Why to control thought??

No, it's not an enemy, just dwell in it as not a friend either..

"Thoughts" are always based on "Needs"..Find out what you need in your life, thoughts then surely will change in TIME, according to the need

Old 29-12-2021, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viswa
Why to control thought??
No, it's not an enemy, just dwell in it as not a friend either..
"Thoughts" are always based on "Needs"..Find out what you need in your life, thoughts then surely
will change in TIME, according to the need
Now this is a post I disagree with.
If anyone wants to 'dwell in' unwanted, silly, useless, negative, even detrimental thoughts, making no sense
causing emotions to go all over the charts...well ---go ahead. *shrug*
They can be like leaves blowing in the wind with no direction.

Thoughts certainly do not all come from needs as anyone can attest to from watching them.
Sorry Viswa.
Quote:
saurab: That means that you must make no effort to still your mind.
I see someone else thinks this.
My comment: Laugh at unwanted, useless, distracting thoughts disturbing your focus and concentration;
wave them off as you would a fly.
Or go down the road they lead you, that is, away from your Goal...which is the ego's purpose here...that being:
To do anything to distract the human from God, peace, love, insights galore, spiritual advancement.
Others call this the devil or the 'bad angel on your shoulder'....
they're from the Lower ego-self.

But, hey, knock yourself out dwelling in your thoughts...the ones you do all day ...just continue on when you sit in meditation, I guess.
That is the last thing I care to do.

Some here promote pain and discomfort as being good things while sitting in meditation ..so to each his own, right?
Best wishes. Really.

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 29-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Viswa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Now this is a post I disagree with.
If anyone wants to 'dwell in' unwanted, silly, useless, negative, even detrimental thoughts, making no sense
causing emotions to go all over the charts...well ---go ahead. *shrug*They can be like leaves blowing in the wind with no direction.
You are free to disagree... But, how do you say some thoughts as 'wanted' and 'unwanted', 'useful' and 'useless', etc..
Can you give a practical example??
Old 29-12-2021, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viswa
You are free to disagree... But, how do you say some thoughts as 'wanted' and 'unwanted', 'useful' and 'useless', etc..
Can you give a practical example??
Really?
Let's see:
*Unwanted thought #1: I hate my second grade teacher; I hope she's dead.
#2 I am so mad at that garage ripping me off -I think I will glue their locks, yeah, I'll dress in black at 3 am...that'll teach 'em.

Wanted thought#1: I will sit here till you come, Lord.
#2 You are the most amazing Being.

* These are detrimental thoughts that can be brought up with your therapist or by yourself in contemplation and self analysis.