Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 02-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Knower
Distraction when meditating

When I'm meditating my mom's dog likes to sit by my leg. But his fur tickles my leg and distracts me. So I push him away.

Would a Buddhist monk move their foot if a dog sat on it when they were meditating? Would they just not be bothered by it and so not have to do anything?

Or is it not a bad thing to move out of the way if it distracts you?

Should you react at all?
Old 02-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoGeminiWolf
When I'm meditating my mom's dog likes to sit by my leg. But his fur tickles my leg and distracts me. So I push him away.

Would a Buddhist monk move their foot if a dog sat on it when they were meditating? Would they just not be bothered by it and so not have to do anything?

Should you react at all?

It's all stages, you work up to that.

If the dog bothers you move the dog but try to make sure it is all setup before you start your practice. As you progress those distractions won't be distractions. If they are now, don't worry about it, just fix it and go back to your practice.

When I first started the TV, kids, dogs, whatever would bother me. Over time it doesn't matter at all.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:47 AM
Master
Why do people even have dogs? So annoying!
Old 11-03-2020, 12:52 AM
Newbie ;)

Hello
I can tell you, (me being a TYPE A Personality), everything distracts me in meditation. Some days are worse then others, but its the goal of doing it, sitting in the power that "fine tunes" us. I agree with the other comment, soon enough it wont matter.
Keep at it
-K
Old 11-03-2020, 01:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoGeminiWolf

Should you react at all?

Seems the dog has you on the path of self enquiry..that’s handy!
Old 11-03-2020, 08:27 PM
Deactivated Account

Meditation is many different things. Different groups and teachers and religions mean different things by the word. Like for some, meditation involves swallowing the tongue etc. Special mantras and such to some. Some say it is about watching the breath, or saying words with each breath. Some sit still or be quiet to do it. To me, it is non-attachment in each moment to one's thoughts, a sense of freedom or liberation as we go through life. So the word means different things to different people, so the dog bugging one while "meditating" would mean different things as well. To me, meditation is a state of freedom from thought and so it is not about seeking an experience or about what one is externally doing, it's more about seeking a way to be no matter what the external experience is. So the dog to me is not a hindrance or a distraction as it doesn't matter what is happening externally. I don't sit still and try to experience this or that, that is not meditation to me. In fact, that would not be meditation to me as it involves seeking something which is an idea that creates bondage or conflict in the present. The idea is to be here now free of self created conflicts and judgments. Free of the mental "talking" in one's head. Dogs are amazing wonderful conscious beings and I would hate to ignore such a being trying to show love to me cause I was busy being self obsessed in some way. Just my opinions. Others like sitting and doing various mental exercises for various experiences or purposes. Relaxation and stress reduction for example.