Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Trieah

Question

Could spiritualism be considered a form of unorganized religion?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Medium_Laura

Religion is man made. Where as to be "spiritual" is following your own true path. If you mean more like "spiritualist churches" then yes, it can be because it has a set of "rules" that are expected to be followed.

Being "spiritual" for yourself and with your own beliefs/rules is not IMO an organized religion.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Serenity Bear

In the Uk Spiritualism became a recognised religion after the passing of the Fraudulents Mediums Act of 1952. This act has be superceeded by the Trading Standards Act which was passed in the last two years or so - sorry cant remember the date.

Spiritualism is a religion follows the 7 Principles first layed down by Emma Hardinge Britain. It began on the 31 March 1848 at Hydesville New York State with the Fox Sisters interpritting the raps of a spirit (Charles Rosna) into a legible system. Before this time there had been recogniseable raps but no one had had a two way conversation.

PS Spiritualism has its own Ministers who can marry two people as do other Priests, Vicars etc (yes a registrar has to be present). We also have funerals and Christenings/naming ceremonies as other churches. We celebrate Easter,Christmas etc, but also some places celebrate Hydesville Day. Unlike other religions we can have two names, especially for those who are 'named' as an adult. We have the name we were called by our parents but also those given to us by/in the Spirit World.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Medium_Laura

Well there ya go :P
Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trieah

No, not at all.

Modern Spiritualism is a religion, a science and a philosophy. Unlike orthodox religions there is no doctrine or dogma to adhere to.

Their seven principles are not rules.

They are simply guidelines of how people should live their lives, as was communicated by the spirit of Robert Owen, through the mediumship of Emma Hardinge Britten.

THE FATHERHOOD OF GOD

THE BROTHERHOOD OF MAN

THE COMMUNION OF SPIRITS AND THE MINISTRY OF ANGELS

THE CONTINUOUS EXISTENCE OF THE HUMAN SOUL

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

COMPENSATION AND RETRIBUTION HEREAFTER FOR ALL THE GOOD AND EVIL DEEDS DONE ON EARTH

ETERNAL PROGRESS OPEN TO EVERY HUMAN SOUL

It's down to individual choice as to how each person perceives any one of the principles. For the majority of it's followers Spiritualism becomes a way of life.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 AM
mac

Quote:

Do you mean Modern Spiritualism, the science, philosophy and religion (in the UK) or do you mean 'spiritualism' the state/practice of being spiritual? (whatever that means) Did you know they are not the same?

If you meant the former, why might you think Spiritualism is "unorganised"?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 PM
deepsea

I remember once looking through the telephone directory for the name of the local spiritualist church. We had just recently moved in to a new area.

There was no such thing in the classified area.
Had to ask around the new neighbours if there was one in the area.
So assumed at that time the spiritualist church was not classed as a religion.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea
I remember once looking through the telephone directory for the name of the local spiritualist church. We had just recently moved in to a new area.

There was no such thing in the classified area.
Had to ask around the new neighbours if there was one in the area.
So assumed at that time the spiritualist church was not classed as a religion.

Places will be in directories etc. only if someone pays for a phone line or advert.

For anyone searching for a Modern Spiritualist church then 'Diary Dates' in local papers often carry upcoming events but as you're reading this you're likely online.... In that case a Google search should readily yields church lists and lots of other information. All one needs to do is to look for the nearest local church.

As for Modern Spiritualism being a legally-recognised religion, it's been that way since mid last-century.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Guide
Quote:

I dont look at spiritualism as religion at all actually. I feel religion is based on others teaching and thats why I love spirituality. I depend solely on the world and spirit to guide me. I learn from the world around me, and I believe from what feels right to me inside.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:42 AM
deepsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Places will be in directories etc. only if someone pays for a phone line or advert.

For anyone searching for a Modern Spiritualist church then 'Diary Dates' in local papers often carry upcoming events but as you're reading this you're likely online.... In that case a Google search should readily yields church lists and lots of other information. All one needs to do is to look for the nearest local church.

As for Modern Spiritualism being a legally-recognised religion, it's been that way since mid last-century.

Thanks Mac,I'm going back a few years ago now.
The internet wasn't known then,or if it was,not many folks had comps.
So it was a case of asking around which I did,was readily given the information I wanted.