Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 18-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Master
Billions of dollars spent to what purpose?......what a disgusting waste or resources just to feed the minds of the curious few.....if it has some significant outcome for the betterment of mankind....then maybe.....but such blatant waste when there is so much poverty and desperation amongst humans and the destruction of habitat for animals etc that could have been helped with those billions of dollars.... just so that those few could jump up and down and clap their hands and say 'we did it!'.....its truly an abomination.....
Old 18-07-2012, 06:00 AM
arive nan

There will be significant outcomes for mankind. There already have been. I am not one to discount the significance of discovering a better way to treat certain cancers just because it isn't available for free to everyone from the moment of it's discovery. This is significant and a benefit to mankind even so. The lives that have been saved by it so far matter imo. These curious few are not bad people. They are brilliant minds who along the way to making these discoveries create technology that has other uses. Searching for these answers is their skill, and it often has practical uses for humanity. So they are not abominable people for following their curiosity and doing what they can with the skills they have. They do not deserve to be mocked for the positive feelings they feel when they find answers to the questions they seek.
Old 18-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Master
I never called them abominations, but the money spent on the project.......and I certainly did not mock them........i stated my opinion...
Old 18-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Kepler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly1
Billions of dollars spent to what purpose?......what a disgusting waste or resources just to feed the minds of the curious few.....if it has some significant outcome for the betterment of mankind....then maybe.....but such blatant waste when there is so much poverty and desperation amongst humans and the destruction of habitat for animals etc that could have been helped with those billions of dollars.... just so that those few could jump up and down and clap their hands and say 'we did it!'.....its truly an abomination.....
You might want to see the SMBC comic I posted on the previous page.
Old 20-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by arive nan
There will be significant outcomes for mankind. There already have been. I am not one to discount the significance of discovering a better way to treat certain cancers just because it isn't available for free to everyone from the moment of it's discovery. This is significant and a benefit to mankind even so. The lives that have been saved by it so far matter imo. These curious few are not bad people. They are brilliant minds who along the way to making these discoveries create technology that has other uses. Searching for these answers is their skill, and it often has practical uses for humanity. So they are not abominable people for following their curiosity and doing what they can with the skills they have. They do not deserve to be mocked for the positive feelings they feel when they find answers to the questions they seek.

of course. everything can be justified.
but i think the issue being raised here is one of misplaced priority.
Old 22-07-2012, 01:54 AM
joelr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly1

Nicely said, as you sit and share your opinion with so many others on a device created by physics discoveries.
You might consider just how much technology has come from physics. Not just entertainment but all sorts of life improving technology in just the medical field alone. Just an X-ray or MRI alone may save your life someday.
Following your argument we would have no such tech, we could have fed some poor people along the way but it's likely the death toll from the lack of simple medical equipment would be higher.

A continued understanding of physics will continue to add to the list, it will help in unimaginable ways.

Laser surgery, radiation, computer technology, it's all about physics, the more secrets we unlock the more we can change the world in ways that will ultimately be much bigger and better than even putting billions of dollars directly into stopping poverty. For example could we clone food items?
We don't know, but our ancestors might. Much of that sci-fi stuff that could revolutionize our lives can pretty much only happen from understanding physics more and more.
Obviously some money goes to quick-fix solutions for poverty, and that's good. But we totally need that science budget.

I could never understand how anti-science budget people don't see the importance. Yes at first it's about curiosity but then engineers and other such types take the knowledge and make it work for us. How can you take for granted the ability to see if that pain in our body is cancer or just gas?
How does that equal an "abomination"?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Master
Scientific curiousity is fine. I do have a problem with "disinterested" investigation however.
The motive force of any action is directed toward some end. The idea that we can exonerate ourselves from
consequences because 'we have no vested interest' (we're just gonna see what happens), is a lie.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Neville

There is of course more to this, The binding element of mass will be of particular interest to those who would prevent things from being made or indeed would wish to un make them..

I know , it's all a bit Huxley or Wells...But there is indeed something of value to be learned here for both good and ill.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
...But there is indeed something of value to be learned here for both good and ill.
Things of value fall within the sphere of "good". There is no living WILL to empower the cause of "ill".
Choose.
Are you an agent of life?
Choose.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Neville

Quote:
Originally Posted by H:O:R:A:C:E
Things of value fall within the sphere of "good". There is no living WILL to empower the cause of "ill".
Choose.
Are you an agent of life?
Choose.

Hello H:O:R:A:C:E,

I enjoy you're very optimistic outlook very much, but sometimes wonder to what extent you allow it to influence a practical world view.

Are all the Despots , Mass Murderers and meglomaniacs, psychopaths et al are not living anymore then ?

What were you asking me to choose. I don't do one sided.