Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 11-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Greg

Is the breath enough?

I was just wondering if you think Breath meditation is enough to help oneself with their spiritual happiness? I ask cos I suffer from depression and breath meditation seems to be the only meditation that I can do. Other more insightful, mindful meditations can sometimes cause me distress. I know in Zen they only concentrate on the breath, so maybe there's some truth in it. I'm not really interested in chakra clearing, energy cleaning, astral travel or anything like that, I just want to feel happier in my life.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:53 PM
oliness

I do two main meditations. The first is mindfulness/concentration meditation which is mainly focusing on the breath. The breath is the main object to fix the mind on but I often silently chant mantras or count to 10 in order to help the mind settle. This gives the mind something to do, so it doesn't get as easily distracted.

The second, which I believe is equally important is loving-kindness meditation - developing positive emotion and love for others. Breathing meditation helps in developing awareness and calmness, but it doesn't directly induce positive states of mind. For that the meditations based on love and compassion are needed.

I believe that both are equally important. I don't think you will experience happiness just through breathing meditation (though it is very important and will have many benefits). For that, as well as to reduce selfishness and cultivate greater love, practices that directly work on developing love are needed. I believe that any spiritual life without such a practice is incomplete.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 AM
I think in this nutty world and the nuttiness that may go on between our ears ---if you are finding some peace concentrating on your breath - halleluleah!
And yes it is sooooo enough.
Breath control is wonderful - maybe you could google it and read what some yogis have said about this practice fo further inspiration.
You're on a great path, imo.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 12-12-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Greg

Thanks Miss Hepburn
Old 13-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Greg

I'm findng it really hard to meditate at the moment cos I'm really depressed, then I feel guilty that I haven't meditated :(
Old 13-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I'm findng it really hard to meditate at the moment cos I'm really depressed, then I feel guilty that I haven't meditated :(
Hi Greg,
Yes, it can be hard to meditate when we are depressed, for sure.
So don't meditate.
And don't feel guilty about it either.
Now, think of something that would get you out of your depression.
(Because it's all in your thoughts...think ****** thoughts -get depressed - think better thoughts, get out of the depression...you're in control.)

When you are not depressed - meditate if you want and enjoy it.
Where did you get this concept that is making you feel guilt about not meditating?

You got some bad info!!!

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 13-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Master
Meditation can be anything. I even like thinking during meditation as it has a very freeform way of unfolding as if the concentration on stillness almost untethers the mind and it goes wandering about almost trying to be friends with the higher self and gives up the tendency to control...

Lying down, sitting in a recliner. laying in the bath, walking and even driving... it can all be meditation. Discipline is a good thing but it'll come and doesn't need to be forced. Just go with it Bro and enjoy the experience.
Old 13-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Guide

Speaking of breath meditation, check into Kryia yoga.

Powerful, clears out the cobwebs and brings bliss. You will have to go to someone qualified to initiate you into it or check out Self Realization Fellowship on the internet.

I promise if you do this sincerely you will make great inroads to realization quickly and there is no room for depression.

I cannot think of anything better that that.
Old 15-12-2011, 04:08 AM
SpiritualGuidance

Great question and replies. Well, I am a newbie here. I am sorry if i am wrong. I think meditation is a great way to find mental peace and relaxation. This is because while meditating you forgot the external world and just concentrate on our internal spirit which make us feel good.
Old 18-12-2011, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualGuidance
Great question and replies.
Well, I am a newbie here.
I am sorry if i am wrong. I think meditation is a great way to find mental peace and relaxation.
This is because while meditating you forgot the external world and just concentrate on our internal spirit which make us feel good.
Well, yeah, honey - if you can get to 'that point' through all the thoughts and emotions of pain,
anxiety, lost dreams, shame and jealousy --- sure.

Meditation can be an extremely difficult thing for wounded people.
Just sayin'.

And, btw, welcome here.