Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 20-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
Agreed we have to pass on the traditions and keep them alive, the only way we can do that is to honour and live them.

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 20-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Knower
Seems similar to the process of Manifestation.
Old 20-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Pathfinder

Thunder I followed your link to an example of another medicine wheel. At first I didn't get it, but then I realized I had to think outside beyond stereotypes. In that clip, I didn't see any Indians, and I thought what...? But seeing beyond that, I heard music, I saw people dancing, riding horses, and singing. If I had to describe it in one word, I would say it was "Alive". I guess I understand it more than seeing something on paper or a picture of it. I am coming to believe a lot of us are trying to over think everything when we should just live. I wonder, do we really have to go back to pre-bronze age living to find peace and live the way Indians used to? Or can we live for today with what we have and still find peace and happiness? I think we just have to find our own "medicine". Those people and horses were turning around in a circle and moving without really thinking about it. It seemed natural to them. I will learn to find my own medicine and how I move and interact with the world.
Old 20-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Medicine_Dog

@Seekerofsolace

Your perception of the video is interesting, it demonstrates how each of us perceives differently. If I could describe that video in one word-- I'd say "harmony".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Arrows
At birth each of us is given a particular beginning place within these four great directions on the wheel. This starting place gives us our first way if perceiving things, which will then be our easiest and most natural way through our lives.

Gifts of the sacred directions:

South-green-innocence/trust.
West-black-introspection.
North- white-wisdom.
East-yellow-illumination.

It goes on to state-- A person is not whole, until they progress around the wheel. A person that only perceives one way is incomplete. For example:

Someone who only possess the gifts of the north, will be a wise man but cold, for he has no perception from the heart(south).

There are many people who posses two or three of these gifts, but they are still not whole. We grow by seeking the understandings of each of the Four Great Ways. Only by this way can we become full and balanced.

United-- perhaps

So while individuality is spoken of, the goal is to unite ourselves with all things, To try an understand each perspective.

After looking into this book, I feel like Black Elk when he said:

"I saw more than I can tell and understood more than I saw."

Keep the perceptions coming...
Old 21-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Medicine_Dog

The wheel-

"Each stone possessing a different perspective"
Old 21-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Suspended
Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekerofsolace
Thunder I followed your link to an example of another medicine wheel. At first I didn't get it, but then I realized I had to think outside beyond stereotypes. In that clip, I didn't see any Indians, and I thought what...? But seeing beyond that, I heard music, I saw people dancing, riding horses, and singing. If I had to describe it in one word, I would say it was "Alive". I guess I understand it more than seeing something on paper or a picture of it. I am coming to believe a lot of us are trying to over think everything when we should just live. I wonder, do we really have to go back to pre-bronze age living to find peace and live the way Indians used to? Or can we live for today with what we have and still find peace and happiness? I think we just have to find our own "medicine". Those people and horses were turning around in a circle and moving without really thinking about it. It seemed natural to them. I will learn to find my own medicine and how I move and interact with the world.

You made a very good post and saw what I am saying.
Old 22-11-2013, 12:47 AM
pgrundy

The pony video reminded me of when my husband's Malamute came to live with us. He was three years old and getting into fights. He was an enormous but very beautiful dog. I was scared because I had never had a dog, any dog, much less a huge wild looking dog who had become a problem for his fighting.

So my husband brought him to our place and immediately left to get some dog food and other things for him. Not knowing what to do I ran around the perimeter of the fence with him--we live on just under and acre, and we ran in a big acre circle, over and over.

By the time my husband got back we were friends. This dog became the best friend I ever had, never got in one single fight, and watched out for me in all kinds of situations without harming anyone.

He died last November. I knew he was going to leave as we took our morning walk. I know that sounds crazy but I did. We saw a huge buck and we just met his gaze, no drama. Something was strange. That night this dog died. I cried for weeks, and yet, it was such a gift, we were so healing for each other, and he showed me so much about life. I cannot say I 'owned' this dog.

Maybe that is not a medicine wheel. But when I saw the ponies that is what it made me remember.
Old 22-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Medicine_Dog

@pgrundy

Thanks for sharing the story, I'm sorry for your loss. Pets become a part of our lives and by doing so leads us to:

Quote:
Maybe that is not a medicine wheel. But when I saw the ponies that is what it made me remember.

Is it not?

You and your dog shared a connection, each of you became a part of the other. In doing so you exchanged medicine, by exchanging medicine the both of you became a part of the great big medicine wheel of life.

Peace
Old 22-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Pathfinder

@Pgrundy, I am very close to my dogs as well. Sometimes I believe they are human! I wonder if they look at me and say, "sometimes I believe he is a dog!"

I think I may start back up with martial arts. "Martial Arts," you ask, "What does that have anything to do with a medicine wheel?" The art I studied is called Taijutsu, which means "body movement art." Yes it is filled with combat techniques, but that isn't really the focus. "The technique can get you killed," is what my teacher told us. The focus isn't learning a technique per say, but how to move your body in a combat situation, or just everday things such as balance, walking, driving, or even talking to people. There are five basic kata from which formulate all of your movements. They are the earth, fire, wind, water, and void kata. By thinking of yourself as "earth" you move through a kata with a mindset of "I am a rock, I am stable, grounded, and hard." Taking on an aspect of fire its more, "I am a flame. I am fast, agile, powerful, and I will burn through quick!" Void is a difficult one because you are only really able to move as the void when you master all of the other aspects. Once that occurs, you take on another characteristic entirely which seamlessly combines all of the elements together.

I liked it because it was teaching me to think about aspects of the physical world and apply them to my movement and views of life. I like the adaptability of it all. Just because you are basically a water person, doesn't mean you have to stay there, you learn to take on new aspects to fit a situation. I hope this relates...
Old 22-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Medicine_Dog

Interesting, IMO most martial arts being that they seek self improvement, are good medicine. Budo Taijutsu, that's some ninpo stuff man-- And I ain't talking about the turtle kind.

Thanks for sharing!!