Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Totem Animals and Essential Oils

I've been interested in combining these two - I've looked online and found some pre-made blends, but I'd rather work on my own.

I don't know if anyone has any info. on this or not - I haven't really been able to find much.

The best way I could think to do it was by what element/s the animal was associated with and then what essential oils fit in with that/those elements.

Like the Hawk totem for example: Air - Lavender and Sun(Fire) - Frankincense, etc.

or

Shark: Water - Rose...etc.

I already have a strong connection with Lavender and Frankincense. I had also recently purchased some Rose Absolute (in dilution).
Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Master
Huh I've not heard of totem animals and essential oils but it sounds really interesting and I love your ideas for them.
Spiritlite.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Neither have I really...but I figured what the hey...'Why Not?!' I did in my search online come across a 'Hawk Totem' candle which had Pine-Lavender-Orange oils.

As for the site that had the Animal Totem oils - they didn't list all the ingredients but for the Hawk one they added a bit of Clary Sage due to the Hawk's 'clear sight'. That's not one that I'd use due to the estrogenic effects...but I understand their reasoning behind it.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 PM
ShamanWoman

Use your intuition, it sounds like you've got some good ideas already. If you come up with something to go with jaguar, let me know. :)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Kapitan_Prien

Here is one site that states 'Earth/Water' for Jaguar:

http://wolfs_moon.tripod.com/JaguarTotem.html

Edit to add - Hawk: http://wolfs_moon.tripod.com/RedHawkTotem.html -- Fire/Air,

The Bald Eagle is Air/Water
Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Master
Hey thanks so much for the link......now I hvae to figure out what my totem animal is right now, it always changes for me.
Spiritlite.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 AM
Ciqala

If you wanted to do it native style, use traditional plant scents like sage, pine, cedar, sweet grass, forest smells, sea salt, to make oils (depends on tribe/nation area location, traditional plants change), look up the powers behind the scents themselves, like lavender = usually calming, sage = cleanse, and tool to unite spirits, use the creative mind and intuition while summoning such animal and uniting them with a scent. Ask them if they like the smell. Sea weeds are powerful plants, to mix in with a water creature totem perhaps.
This isn't actually an already made thing, so thus it comes from you and what you relate to such animal, and what such animals would like. Keep in mind, the powers of plants because they are beneficial to what you want to create too. I think it would be cool to make oils.

As for sacred elements and directions, it all depends on what you classify an animal to stand for, being water, fire, earth, wind, or west, east, south, north, because it is different all over the world.
My own traditional cultural one looks like this (but as i said, there are many varieties):

west - black - water (water creatures)
south - red - fire (ummmmmmmm mythological totems (mythological animal totems have powers), like thunderbird and Phoenix, and dragons, and this also includes reptiles. 0_0)
east - yellow - earth (four leggeds)
north - white - wind (winged ones)
Old 05-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Thanks for the additional info Ciqala.

Yes I understand what you're saying with what you have down regarding - for example (west-black-water)...which would be for me...the shark of course. I would also use blue too. I never thought to use sea salt and sea weeds but that's a good idea. A pinch would be ok.

I tend to try to find ones that my body likes - it really loves Lavender-Frankincense blend...it works very well when I put some on my temples and the top of my head to help with clearing out my body's psyche.

There is a thread in the Wiccan section on Sea Magick which might also be helpful - there is a link in there to a site that may help with other ideas concerning sea creatures.

I have two shark's teeth on my U-Boat commander's cap and also an ancient/fossilized shark's tooth I keep as well.

(I've long since added a shark 'form' made out of shark skin to this cap and a coin for Neptune):

Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Ciqala

Oh nice hat indeed, and great idea, i love shark teeth :)
Yeah, that's always a good way to go by. You could probably use lavender and frankincense for any animal. My body - well my energies - are very sensitive to aromas, almost over stimulating right now, but i can certainly tell what ones have an effect at least. I'm obsessed with incenses right now.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Kapitan_Prien

I was into citrus and mint...but my body didn't like that after what I consider a short period of time...it always goes back to Lavender. I find Lavender is good for trauma too...

I read something interesting on Frankincense...about healing soul trauma...so I think it is good to help with regards to my being a 'walk-in'.

I also recently purchased Frankincense 'dhoop' incense too (cones).