Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 16-07-2022, 08:30 PM
Deactivated Account

I think everybody has social needs to some extent. But no matter how non dual a person gets, they are still within the body. If and when we obtain this complete non dual consciousness integrated in our beingness, we would want to help others obtain it and share with others this 'special' state. I think that comes off as a social need. But to be serious, we must be careful not to fall into a state where we don't want to go to work, or we don't want to walk the dog, or we don't want to treat the spouse good. And our journey towards non-duality should have a positive social impact. I think the best test to see if your really non dual is with your husband/wife, hahahaha!!!
Old 17-07-2022, 09:42 AM
Master

duality in non-duality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
Before awakening and after awakening = duality.
Non-duality is not negation of duality . It is recognition & appreciation of non-duality in seeming first-hand superficial duality .
Old 17-07-2022, 09:57 AM
Master

identification with limited existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
This realisation is not so much a gaining but more a letting go of our identification with limited existence.
This is very well stated valid point . To elaborate it , identifying / associating / recognizing /appreciating the lasting all-pervasive common denominator in diverse duality situations helps overcome the problem of identification with limited existence in day to day life . Understanding non-duality and its repeated practice is key .

If this does not suit one (which is quite possible for variety of reasons) , one can listen to and follow the wisdom pearls of greater beings like philanthropist, honest politicians , religious leaders , great scientists ) . That too can develop us .
Old 17-07-2022, 10:04 AM
Master

positive social impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknaton
I think that comes off as a social need. But to be serious, we must be careful not to fall into a state where we don't want to go to work, or we don't want to walk the dog, or we don't want to treat the spouse good. And our journey towards non-duality should have a positive social impact.

Positive social impact is key to anything and non-duality can not be exception. There is no one version of non-duality do's and donts . There is ample scope for creative freedom and intelligence for genuine seeker to suit one's temperament , education , social status etc . Your stated examples well fit in acceptable non-dual behaviors .
Old 17-07-2022, 10:14 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
Non-duality is not negation of duality . It is recognition & appreciation of non-duality in seeming first-hand superficial duality .
Which makes it yet another 'thing' for people to get hung up on. Same as the term "non-Dual person" in the post above, and what's just as bonkers is describing oneself as 'non-Dual'.

Duality vs non-Duality IS Duality, and Duality is one of the cornerstones of your reality - without Duality your reality wouldn't be very much.

Alan Watts said "We thingify things" and that's what's happening here, non-Duality itself is at best an 'object' of consciousness. If people have 'achieved it' then it's no longer non-Duality because you can only 'achieve' 'things'.

According to Rupert Spira, non-Duality is the collapsing of the distance between consciousness and its objects - non-Duality as expressed in this thread is an object of consciousness. It's a thing. In the non-Dual Advaita Vedanta, Advaita means "Not two." In the context of this thread there is "Not two," there is only one 'thing' - you - and you are not a 'thing'.

If anything, Non-Duality is a 'pointer'.

Last edited by Greenslade : 17-07-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 17-07-2022, 10:25 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknaton
If and when we obtain this complete non dual consciousness integrated in our beingness,
You already have. And when you 'achieve' non-Duality there's no thought of 'I am non-Dual' because there is no 'I' to be non-Dual. To a 'non-Dual' person there is neither Duality nor non-Duality, there is only Isness.
Old 17-07-2022, 05:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Duality vs non-Duality IS Duality, ...
Perhaps it is not a case of Duality vs non-Duality as two different and separate states.

Maybe it is the realisation that all duality is pervaded by non-dual Being.

Or to put it another way, all changing form is pervaded by unchanging formlessness.

Non-dual Being has no division and no limits. It is One thing everywhere.

Peace
Old 18-07-2022, 02:07 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Non-dual Being has no division and no limits. It is One thing everywhere.
In Advaita Vedanta, Advaita means "Not two." There are no 'things', there is only you, and you are not a 'thing'.

And if people didn't redefine the ego and the self for their own agenda they're realise that we can't achieve what we already are. Using non-Dual as a prefix is the differentiated consciousness of the ego, as is differentiating between changing form and the unchanging formless.

When there are no limits and no divisions, there is neither form nor unchanging formless because there is no ego/Ahamkara to perceive/experience them.

There is no non-Duality as a mind/ego exercise.