Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 10-03-2017, 02:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
And where pray tell, did you come up with the nugget about vegetarians and vegans looking skinny and malnourished? We carry the right amount of body weight for our frames instead of packing around excess (am I talking to you?) generally speaking.

Just about every vegetarian/vegan l ever met looked skinny and malnourishd and just kinda seemed low energy.

I've met a couple who looked and acted like they were starving all the time!
My experience is that a few individuals will do okay on a all plant diet..... But most will not.

As far as myself....I'm a weightlifter with around 8 to10% body fat..... My BMI is 26....all the medical charts say I'm too heavy for my height but it's all muscle so l couldn't care less what the charts says.......I'm lean enough to have visible veins like the amateur bodybuilder that l am

I'm 55 years old and have absolutely normal blood pressure..... And eat meat or fish every day.....all of it game or fish l caught.

I also have no trouble pulling my 70lb recurve to full draw and holding it till the shot presents itself.

The photo in my avatar is myself and taken last summer in North East Texas in front of the world famous Bob Lee Archery Works.......fat l am not!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:29 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

From personal experience:

I lost ~130 lb in about ~14 months, by reducing my calorie intake with ~1,000 calories /day, from ~2,400 to ~1,400. You're hungry the first 3-5 days until your brain gets used to fewer calories. Drink lots of water to have your stomach full. Eat balanced (fats, proteins, carbs), and take a multivitamin daily.

1 lb of fat = ~3,500 calories
14 months = ~426 days
@1,000 calorie deficit/day you lose 426,000 / 3,500 = ~122 lb
I lost ~130 lb

After 14 months, I gradually raised the daily intake from 1,400 to 2,400 calories / day

I kept my weight normal for the last 14 years.

Good luck!

PS: It's pure physics (thermodynamics). Don't believe anything else!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:42 AM
Master
Congrats, baro-san on your achievement! I lost a bunch of weight years ago and kept it all off for 7 years - so, now I struggle with weight gain and health issues (had open-heart surgery June 30, 2014 - a triple).

I saw someone mention the BMI and I had read this article from livestrong.com a short while ago and thought it might be helpful in this conversation thread:

Disadvantage: BMI Misses Normal Weight Obesity
Because BMI is simply a measure of your weight versus your height, it doesn't take into account where that weight comes from -- lean tissue or fat. For this reason, you might have a normal "healthy" weight, according to your BMI, but still face health risks due to excess body fat. For example, excess abdominal fat that pushes your waistline to larger than 35 inches for women and 40 inches for men ups your risk of obesity-related diseases, according to the National Institutes of Health, regardless of your BMI. And normal weight obesity -- which happens when you're overfat, but not overweight, according to BMI -- increases your blood lipid and blood pressure levels, which increases your risk of heart disease.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanchain
Just for your information:

My herbalist said that my daily protein requirement is about half a glass of milk, or a little less than one egg.

Doesn't sound right.

Quote:
The low volume surprised me, but then it made sense. Usually only these four types of people need high protein: 1) the young, 2) the pregnant, 3) the sick (recovering), and 4) the laboured.

The excess nutrients that we take in may be absorbed for storage if it is fat soluble, or may be flushed out if it is water soluble. I think excess proteins are flushed out.

If your issue is not getting a filling diet, then I think it's just a matter of the stomach adjusting to a lighter diet.

If your issue is too much weight loss, then it could be that your body is removing toxins, as they are typically stored in adipose tissues (fat). So if your health is not deteriorating due to weight loss, then I think your body is adjusting to a healthier state.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Doesn't sound right.

Gem, it doesn't sound right because its not!

An inactive person needs at least 1/4 gram of protein per pound of body weight daily....an active person needs at least 1/2 gram per pound of body weight daily and a weight lifter/ bodybuilder will need at least 1 gram per pound of body weight daily.

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 10-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
... BMI ...
I agree. "normal" weight isn't a guarantee of health. Health, both physical and mental, is built with a healthy lifestyle: diet, exercise, supplements, sleep, stress reduction, etc., and in each case details matter. My message was just that body fat is quite accurately controlled through calorie balance, using formula 1 lb ~ 3,500 calories.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1

An inactive person needs at least 1/4 gram of protein per pound of body weight daily....an active person needs at least 1/2 gram per pound of body weight daily and a weight lifter/ bodybuilder will need at least 1 gram per pound of body weight daily.
Recent research shows that excess protein is unhealthy.
People who get 20 percent or more of daily calories from protein have a 400 percent higher cancer rate, and a 75 percent higher risk of mortality, compared to those who get only 10 percent of daily calories from protein
From what I read, targeting ~0.5 grams per pound of body weight is a good general recommendation. As in most cases, details matter, like quality and source of protein.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san
Recent research shows that excess protein is unhealthy.
People who get 20 percent or more of daily calories from protein have a 400 percent higher cancer rate, and a 75 percent higher risk of mortality, compared to those who get only 10 percent of daily calories from protein
From what I read, targeting ~0.5 grams per pound of body weight is a good general recommendation. As in most cases, details matter, like quality and source of protein.

That sounds reasonable. As Lucky1 pointed out, people who do strenuous physical activity require more than those with less physically active life styles. Indeed excesses (and deficits) in general are detrimental to long term health.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1

Sounds about right, but it might be best for those with a high body fat percentage to go by lean weight, and such people would do best by seeking help from a properly qualified nutritionist.

A boiled egg has about 6g protein, which is completely inadequate for any person. 125 ml (1/2 cup) of milk has less than 4g. These numbers don't even correlate. Never see a herbalist for nutrition advice!
Old 12-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Congrats, baro-san on your achievement! I lost a bunch of weight years ago and kept it all off for 7 years - so, now I struggle with weight gain and health issues (had open-heart surgery June 30, 2014 - a triple).

I saw someone mention the BMI and I had read this article from livestrong.com a short while ago and thought it might be helpful in this conversation thread:

Disadvantage: BMI Misses Normal Weight Obesity
Because BMI is simply a measure of your weight versus your height, it doesn't take into account where that weight comes from -- lean tissue or fat. For this reason, you might have a normal "healthy" weight, according to your BMI, but still face health risks due to excess body fat. For example, excess abdominal fat that pushes your waistline to larger than 35 inches for women and 40 inches for men ups your risk of obesity-related diseases, according to the National Institutes of Health, regardless of your BMI. And normal weight obesity -- which happens when you're overfat, but not overweight, according to BMI -- increases your blood lipid and blood pressure levels, which increases your risk of heart disease.

So glad you pulled through your open heart surgery, Silver. I had open heart surgery to repair a genetically bad valve about 25 years ago. Going under the knife for such a high risk surgery is always scary. I wish you well in getting to and maintaining a healthy weight so that you never have to go through that again.