Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 14-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Deactivated Account
Dating someone 'non spiritual'

I use the term 'non spiritual' loosely because I'm well aware we are all spiritual beings.

I was wondering if people can make a relationship work if their partner has no interest at all in spirituality, psychic development, God or anything remotely connected to this.

There is a potential new guy on the scene and it's very, very early days, but we are interested in getting to know each other. He is very intelligent, has degrees in both biology and physics, has the same health condition as me, and is incredibly interesting to talk to as well as a very nice guy!

My only reservation is - he is an atheist with no beliefs in anything 'otherwordly.'

I am very psychic but he doesn't know this yet

I know people will say stuff like 'if you like each other it doesn't matter' and 'opposites attract' and 'it depends on the couple' but I'm interested in real experiences with this. Has anyone been in a relationship where one is psychic and the other disregards it, and how did it work out? Can it really work when beliefs are so different? I am on my spiritual path and am aware of not trying to change anyone so if he remains an atheist this should not impact on me - but how does this work in the real world?

Any thoughts/experiences
Old 14-08-2011, 12:58 PM
mattie

Yes, A Relationship Is Viable

One can have wonderful relationship w/ someone who doesn’t have the same beliefs.

One of the most loving couples I know who have a long-time relationship are an example where one is fairly far along on their journey while the other one is just moved past admitting they are scared of the word ‘metaphysical’ a year ago & is still working through their own substantial fear issues. What works for long-time relationships is having the flexibility to allow for change in both parties (Gail Sheehey, ‘Passages’).

If it was your potential partner who was further along would you want to be considered on your own merits or graded according to your beliefs?
Old 14-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Topology

When my wife and I first met we were exploring and learning energy work together. She's lost interest and I am left to explore alone. If you're wanting your mate/partner/spouse to be right there with you, they could change and lose interest... I wish she hadn't lost interest. I'm of the personality that wants someone to meet me, to be travelling along a similar enough road, not just sleeping in the same bed. But that's me.
Old 14-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Deactivated Account
Thanks Mattie, that's good to hear.

Of course I would want to be considered on my own merits regardless of beliefs. It don't mean it to sound like I am 'grading' him at all; I think it's natural to be somewhat jittery about the idea of someone who dismisses everything I know to be true, but I like him enough to be open to dating him regardless.

It is important to me to respect him where he is, and this thread is my, perhaps displaced, attempt to gain reassurance that beliefs etc do not make a difference to many couples.
Old 14-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topology
When my wife and I first met we were exploring and learning energy work together. She's lost interest and I am left to explore alone. If you're wanting your mate/partner/spouse to be right there with you, they could change and lose interest... I wish she hadn't lost interest. I'm of the personality that wants someone to meet me, to be travelling along a similar enough road, not just sleeping in the same bed. But that's me.

Thanks Topology, I get that.My spiritual development is very important to me and it would be nice to share that road with someone, but it might not work out that way. Either way, it'll be an interesting road to tred. I guess time will tell how things go if I do end up with the guy.
Old 14-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Medium_Laura

Yes is it okay. Sometimes we are placed with people for that very reason.

My partner did not believe in psychics or mediums at all. We've been together 7 years now.

I was open and honest from the start. He didn't understand fully but he "RESPECTED" me, even through it. That's the key.

After 7 years (giggles) he's a FIRM believer that psychics and mediums are real. I've shown him too much proof (just by him hearing me read others and the things I know) that he can't deny it.

Often he asks my "advice" now when he's going through some drama :)
Old 14-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Deactivated Account
Thanks Laura, that helps. My friend knows that I have seen mediums and that I am a believer, and he respects that. He has no idea that I have psychic experiences though because I don't tell many people. How do I even come close to explaining I see particles and white lights in my bedroom at night?! Maybe he will come to believe, but the main thing in my mind is not to force him to do this. If I am to date him, i need to respect his beliefs or none and not take it personally should he not be open to what I experience.

My fear is that dating someone with such a scientific view will be like a Mulder/ Scully thing, but I guess if that's the case it could go either way!

Glad it worked out so well for you Laura.

Just to add I'm not judging my friend for being an atheist, nor do I consider myself 'further along' than he is. What he chooses to believe is his business and his road to tred. My question here is purely whether or not a relationship of this kind could work. Thanks for all the replies so far :)
Old 14-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Master
Hi Starbuck

My husband and his whole social net work , did not believe nor felt comfortable with my spirituality~ We have had so many discussions on it over the years some great ones ..some not so great ones .
Its all working towards whats meant to be ~ The truth is in being able to be oneself and acceptance of yourself and with the base being one of respect of individuality the rest naturally falls into place.
We are who we are at any giving moment in time~ and I have certainly learn't a lot from my husband and he states he has me...its a good balance I find . Yes it can work the relationship ~ many spiritual ones have the same chances of sharing a complete life path or not sharing one.

Balance between heaven and Earth .. the middle path ...requires two people to be different in certain areas to learn ... as a couple IMO.

My husband is use to me telling him things ..( It just naturally flows sometimes... and then I get on with whatever I am doing..be it physical or non physical ).. I am me for me~ And he is himself ~I hope this helps you in some way.

Enjoy and many blessings

:) xo
Old 14-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Medium_Laura

Thanks Starbuck :) I feel being honest is very important. Someday he will find out what I see/hear/sense anyway - why not just be upfront. If he bolts.. then he bolts :P We probably weren't meant to be! But communication for our relationship has been the most wonderful way of getting through issues. Kept us together and still in love :)

If he were to judge me solely based on that, then I guess that's his problem not mine.

It does work and we don't agree on everything! Like Smiler, we also have some good and not so good discussions lol. I have debated about the Big bang and Darwinism until I'm blue in the face lol He still thinks we came from monkeys where as, I think we were created as humans (not evolved). That's one of the things we just don't agree on. Therefore, we agree.. to disagree :P lol
Old 15-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Master

I think you should go for it. You cannot have everything in a relationship. It would be nice but it does not work that way. Nothing in life is perfect. My husband has no interest in spiritually, astral projection or anything similar. That is the way he is and we both accept that. I do not talk about those things to him anymore. There is no point. He thinks it is a joke. He is not nasty about it but he just does not believe in it. I am happy with my husband and I would not want anyone else. You may find someone else that is spiritual but he lacks something else.