Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 26-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Master
The origins of Hinduism

Hi, Can someone please explain to me the origins and time/date? Thank you!
Old 26-03-2015, 03:57 PM
celest

QUOTE=Jatd]Hi[/url], Can someone please explain to me the origins and time/date? Thank you![/quote]

Google it Jatd, there,s lots of good info: I was curious myself and found really good answers.
Old 26-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatd
Hi, Can someone please explain to me the origins and time/date? Thank you!

It's impossible to determine. The Vedas were an oral tradition passed on by memory in families. Only later were they recorded. Earliest symbols found are from the Indus Valley civilisation and the two main cities there that were dug up. That dating goes as far back as 6000-7000 years. So it's all pretty debatable. Not too many historians agree on it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_Civilization

The origins would have been in the souls of the seers who recited the Vedas, largely thought to have occurred by trance states.
Old 27-03-2015, 12:13 AM
Suspended
Yes, it is hard to determine.. Also, the Aryans who brought the Vedic tradition with them were more than likely coming from outside India at some long lost period of time. The migrations are said to have occurred around 2000 BCE.

The actual traditions and Vedas themselves are older than that.. Then you have the merging with the indigenous traditions and peoples of India at that time....

Historians of religion say that Judaism and Hinduism are the oldest world religions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Ar...gration_theory

There is quite a lot of debate amongst scholars on this topic as Vinayaka mentions.
Old 27-03-2015, 12:34 AM
Guide

It seems that the anti Aryan Migration Theory people are winning out, not that it really matters. Almost all Hindu scholars view it as myth now. Western non-Hindu scholars of Hinduism haven't given up on it, perhaps because they started it.
Old 27-03-2015, 12:46 AM
Suspended
I think it is somewhere in the middle of the two... I don't think you can say that the migrations didn't happen, but at the same time the civilisations in the Indus valley are quite old, and certainly more than 2000 BCE.

You only have to look objectively at the sheer variety of religious belief in India to see all the parallels and connections to ancient Persian sun gods, proto-Shiva deities like Rudra, and various other beliefs and practices that have all come together to form the multilayered, rich religion we now name Hinduism..
Old 27-03-2015, 01:19 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul
I think it is somewhere in the middle of the two... I don't think you can say that the migrations didn't happen, but at the same time the civilisations in the Indus valley are quite old, and certainly more than 2000 BCE.

You only have to look objectively at the sheer variety of religious belief in India to see all the parallels and connections to ancient Persian sun gods, proto-Shiva deities like Rudra, and various other beliefs and practices that have all come together to form the multilayered, rich religion we now name Hinduism..

There certainly was movement, ( often climate driven) and naturally integration between cultures and languages as a result. The time frame is vague, as are the routes, and direction of the routes. I'm personally not that interested, but let the anthropologists who enjoy that sort of thing go for it all they want. What I do take exception to with history of that era, is anyone presenting their theories as fact. This search for 'facts' is some sort of strange psychological phenomenon to understand mankind. Leaving it all as a mystery is fine by me. It's the present that counts anyway.
Old 27-03-2015, 01:22 AM
Glad to see you over here, Jatd!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 27-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Master

It is hard to define what constitutes Hinduism, let alone date its origin. None of the ancient writings which are often quoted as representing Hinduism even mention Hinduism. I am of the opinion that the people who created those records were not at all interested in creating a religion. They were just trying to understand their place in the mystery that is universe. They had very few tools to go about their quest other than observing and speculating. They were curious to know the source of the mystery of life.

I think it so happens that the source of mystery itself is just as interested in seekers as the seekers are in understanding the source. Hence these early seekers were able to discover the techniques that are now available to those of us who yearn for the source of mystery that is life.
Old 27-03-2015, 06:51 PM
celest

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
It is hard to define what constitutes Hinduism, let alone date its origin. None of the ancient writings which are often quoted as representing Hinduism even mention Hinduism. I am of the opinion that the people who created those records were not at all interested in creating a religion. They were just trying to understand their place in the mystery that is universe. They had very few tools to go about their quest other than observing and speculating. They were curious to know the source of the mystery of life.
I think it so happens that the source of mystery itself is just as interested in seekers as the seekers are in understanding the source. Hence these early seekers were able to discover the techniques that are now available to those of us who yearn for the source of mystery that is life.

Nothing starts as a so called Religion, its people who make it such, then they start changing it to suit themselves