Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 30-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Knower

Hi fall-sky. If you are looking for a quick answer to your depression through some mystical eastern philosophy. There is none.Buddhism for me,is ongoing and develops with its practitioners.Its a long term commitment,maybe even for lifetimes.I guarantee you that, with the correct practice of Buddhism it will lead the cessation of depression. Buddhism is a path , its teachers are the map.You are your best chance.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Suspended
I think it is a holistic approach probably needed.. If you just cling to Buddhism it won't work. It is like people who go to retreats depressed and wonder why they are still depressed or worse at the end.

Yes, the teachings and meditation can help, of course! But, it is about changing things around you and inside you... Step by step. Obviously, qualified support and counselling probably necessary as no one on this forum has the training or can give it properly on a forum. General questions and answers okay, though.

Best of luck!
Old 30-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I stress again that people who are spiritually inclined don't knows much about mental illness, and those who pretend to have half baked and biased ideas

What about a doctor specializing in mental illness who has had mental illness himself who is also spiritually inclined? :)

Quote:
If I had depression, I would never assume that my experience of it, or how I overcame it, is applicable to everyone who is depressed. There's no reason to believe that meditation is a cure, though it probably is a good part of a more holistic approach to it.

Good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul
I think it is a holistic approach probably needed.. If you just cling to Buddhism it won't work. It is like people who go to retreats depressed and wonder why they are still depressed or worse at the end.

Yes, the teachings and meditation can help, of course! But, it is about changing things around you and inside you... Step by step.

Exactly!
Old 31-01-2015, 05:38 PM
Knower
Thanks, everybody. Sorry to be so slow to respond. My energy level is very low and pessimistic. I think Buddhism would help, but it's hard to make myself do anything such as reading - to say nothing of meditating or fasting.
Old 31-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Uji-om

Howdy,
Medications usually didn't do much for me but I took them for half a year because I needed to try something and I didn't know what else might help.
Regular exercise helped but not always. It was probably the fresh air and increased metabolism that goes with it.
For me, the things that help me, help a small amount (like 5 or 10 percent each). So I do quite a few things to keep mentally better. Especially, during the winter months like now when seasonal moods affect us more.
Here are a few of the things that help.
I mentioned exercise and preferably outside, most people I know with bad depression spend way too much time away from nature's sun, air, water, etc. We get some energy from the sun, air, water, and contact with earth.
Another help is grounding. If walking or standing on bare ground for half an hour isn't considered too wierd wherever we are, then grounding helps.
Another reason grounding helps is because it gets us a little more sun.
Most of us are getting most of our light from light bulbs and not much natural light at all. The Sun gives us more than just vitamin D.

People feeling depressed usually don't eat too great. Studying some raw food recipes can help. Think 'raw healthy' food creates a better spirit than cooked processed food. Raw fruit, veggies, nuts help with our energy too.
These types of changes require some effort, but they help physically and mentally and energy wise.
Buddhism is generally a good stable belief system too, and should help a little. As Buddhism says, there is much suffering in life, so we should practice to reduce it. I suspect that the mindfulness that you mention helps some too
Regular talking with a friend or counsler about our moods and behaviors is always a good idea. Especially, if you've had some psychotic issues.

So basically, I suggest more fresh raw foods in the diet, exercise, grounding, and some sunshine. Life without these things is difficult.

Best regards, mindfully Uji.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-sky
I think Buddhism would help, but it's hard to make myself do anything such as reading - to say nothing of meditating or fasting.

You can always just sit back and listen! This playlist might be a good start to get into Buddhism. I recommend any teachings by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, he is my favorite teacher. Very down to earth, very clear and concise. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after listening to a bit of this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcEQ...fCg3p37e4K5-bg
Old 02-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uji-om
Howdy,
Medications usually didn't do much for me but I took them for half a year because I needed to try something and I didn't know what else might help.
Regular exercise helped but not always. It was probably the fresh air and increased metabolism that goes with it.
For me, the things that help me, help a small amount (like 5 or 10 percent each). So I do quite a few things to keep mentally better. Especially, during the winter months like now when seasonal moods affect us more.
Here are a few of the things that help.
I mentioned exercise and preferably outside, most people I know with bad depression spend way too much time away from nature's sun, air, water, etc. We get some energy from the sun, air, water, and contact with earth.
Another help is grounding. If walking or standing on bare ground for half an hour isn't considered too wierd wherever we are, then grounding helps.
Another reason grounding helps is because it gets us a little more sun.
Most of us are getting most of our light from light bulbs and not much natural light at all. The Sun gives us more than just vitamin D.

People feeling depressed usually don't eat too great. Studying some raw food recipes can help. Think 'raw healthy' food creates a better spirit than cooked processed food. Raw fruit, veggies, nuts help with our energy too.
These types of changes require some effort, but they help physically and mentally and energy wise.
Buddhism is generally a good stable belief system too, and should help a little. As Buddhism says, there is much suffering in life, so we should practice to reduce it. I suspect that the mindfulness that you mention helps some too
Regular talking with a friend or counsler about our moods and behaviors is always a good idea. Especially, if you've had some psychotic issues.

So basically, I suggest more fresh raw foods in the diet, exercise, grounding, and some sunshine. Life without these things is difficult.

Best regards, mindfully Uji.

The sunshine idea is interesting, because when I'm depressed I absolutely detest sunshine, pleasant breezes, etc. It's very strange, but I will often wear jackets and pull-up my hood even when it's hot. It's very hard to make myself go outside when the weather is nice and sunny. I feel like I"m going out into a rain storm, and I just dread it. I don't know what's going on in my mind.

I also heard a voice a few days ago. It was just a mocking voice saying my name, but it woke me up. That concerns me, because voices waking me from sleep is what started happening in the months before I had a psychotic episode in 2009.

I had been exercising every day, but my knee and hip have made that difficult. That is probably the main reason I'm having more trouble.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceField
You can always just sit back and listen! This playlist might be a good start to get into Buddhism. I recommend any teachings by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, he is my favorite teacher. Very down to earth, very clear and concise. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after listening to a bit of this playlist:

Thanks, hopefully I will listen to that tonight. I decided to skip breakfast this morning - anything to add some variety to my life. I'm hoping to do a little fasting too. I used to wait until 3pm to eat, and that worked o.k. Some days I feel so terrible, that I try anything to snap out of it - such as drinking a coke or eating something tasty.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceField

O.k. I got about halfway through the first video in your link. Probably Buddhism is better for people who are not depressed. At least in my own case, I'm looking for some inspiration, purpose, hope. I don't particularly care about living a more skillful life. That is more interesting to somebody who isn't depressed. Now maybe if I lived a skillful life, then I wouldn't be depressed. Right now the only thing that keeps me going is focusing on death from old age. That's my goal. Maybe Hinduism or something else would be better for me?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Argento

Maybe you could stop thinking about depression altogether. If you try to be free from depression it will continue....What you resist persists n' all that.

Coming from an ex depressee. 8 years wake n' cry. 10 years cured.

I realised that trying to be free from depression eventually becomes a vehicle for its continuity. Trying to be free IS the shackle.

All my symptoms disappeared in one instant. I was crying, fell on the floor and snapped out of it. I noticed that I was the cause.

Obviously I have no idea of your background so I could be way off the mark here..

But I will state controversially that doctors have no idea about depression. Don't listen to those eejits.

It is a thought loop that effects the chemical balance of the body, not the other way round....in my experience anyway.

Problem is that we love our thought loops....no matter how they unbalance our emotions.

I hope you read my post as a positive (most tend not to understand, lol). Remember you're not depressed....If you tell yourself that you are, you give up responsibility and in turn the opportunity for it to pass