Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 20-06-2023, 04:24 AM
Master
Do we have free will?

I do recognise that this topic is over debated but now let’s examine the following scenario:

We as an earth bound entity, imagining we are only this mind-body, we are offered choices in life. On one side are the self-serving urges and on the other, whispers of conscience, speaking as voice of truth, in resonance with unconditional love.

The narrow view opts for satisfying mind-body cravings. Periscope vision, looking beyond form, beyond this life span, veers towards love.

Depending upon our choice, karma comes into play ~ the law of cause and effect. This suggests we have free will, maybe limited but we do.

On the other hand, from the understanding, should it so dawn, that we are a soul or spirit having human experience and that life as it plays out in linear time has already been created or impulsed, free will to so choose earth life learning then exists only at soul level, not at mind-body ego level. Experiences like déjà vu for instance, suggest that we already know or have ‘seen’ what we now go through, signalling that life is something like a lucid dream, we imagine as real.

So what’s the take on free will then? Does it exist or not and if not, what about the law of karma?

Please share your insights or understanding.
Old 20-06-2023, 04:43 AM
Master
Do we have free will?

In a way, I would say "Yes" but when I look at the 'sources' that some people 'drink' from for their belief systems, I would say those 'sources' seem to have a major influence/control over our free will.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 20-06-2023, 06:56 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
So what’s the take on free will then? Does it exist or not and if not, what about the law of karma?
Please share your insights or understanding.
There is not the slightest evidence that a 'law of karma' exists.

Should 'free will' be subjected to investigation (if at all definable) there is no point where it can be pinned down, the only valid argument as far as I can see as to the existence of such an attribute would be to show that 'free will' is open ended - that means no outside source (whatever) to decide on anything.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 20-06-2023, 08:04 AM
Master

Yes I can value all points of view from the above comments as I’ve often wondered the same thing.

However, after reading the Edgar Cayce books I now tend to believe that there is some karma involved.

My simple way of looking at this is that we are dealt a hand of cards (karma) which we HAVE TO play but how and when we play each one is where free will comes in to play.
Old 20-06-2023, 08:05 AM
Ascender
The law of karma doesn't explain free will, because you could have the illusion to decide freely (while your choice is strongly determined by outside circumstances) and still have to endure the consequences of your choice.

Typically if you are in a set with limited resources, or roles to take, in many cases it's "first come, first served", and you just have what's left for you if you come later than others.

Studies have shown that our mind is easily tricked by this "illusion of choice", and many people don't come back on their previous choices, even if they discover that there were better things to do.

That's where ego and energy comes into play, because if you have enough energy to switch your route, and don't cling onto previous thoughts / views, you can change the course of events, your "fate".
Old 20-06-2023, 08:17 AM
Master
It depends of cause what we understand by free will.
On a spiritual level, wile we are in third density, we have to choose, the path of the light or the path of the dark. And it is not the part of the personaly I understand to be body/mind complex who chooses, it is spirit. After all wile the body/mind complex vanishes, spirit will continue on it's journey, and it does not matter which path it chooses. All leads to the same destiny in the end. Both paths are equally valid within creation.
Old 20-06-2023, 08:21 AM
deadCanDance4

Hi,

Somehow I see everything being in some sort of an alignment, it is not that it directs peaople per se though because of this alignement (call it universal) the question of free will cannot have an answer in my opinion.
Old 20-06-2023, 09:48 AM
Master
Eckhart Tolle on free will ~ https://youtu.be/MEatCKgB6Qc
Old 20-06-2023, 02:44 PM
Master

Certainly not over debated to be sure, maybe it's more both are not understood as we say each are or accepted but as different, because karma is not separate (of) from free-will and free choice. We feel we have to choose one or the other when say karma itself is not understood when both are about being free to... Both are about and are more. Karma is about choice of the entity. Is there choice in karma to?

There is cause and effect in free-will just as in karma and so where is one looking, same results. How much do we know thinking one is and one is not when there is choice. I think this is correct "Depending upon our choice, karma comes into play" ... suggesting free will and karma. Whether choice is free-will or imposed there will be karma and are we suppose to see and observe in karma. An observer. But this may be another topic to discuss.
Quote:
So what’s the take on free will then? ... what about the law of karma?
We don't include both which caught my attention as very insightful and meaningful. I do think we see karma everyday (here) if we wish to. It can be the over debate is about is more about what is debated as opposed to what is not debated and our intention as well. I would say we are here because of the nature of spirit itself. Karma is not set in stone though cause and effect may be. I have said before, karma and free-will is about and either can be seen and both can (and should) be observed.

Last edited by lemex : 20-06-2023 at 03:55 PM.
Old 20-06-2023, 04:02 PM
Master
In my view, as long as there is a doer doing a thought, word or deed, which is not aligned with truth or love, there is karma. Karma can be good or bad. Both are anchors, binding and confining, rooted in attachment.

When we act spontaneously, in childlike innocence, joyful and vibrant, free from fear and desire, nonchalant to outcomes, in a mode embrace and release, recognising God in-dwells all forms ~ then there is no karma.