Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 19-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Master
I like a variety of music, and "dark music" as we call it, definately affects my moods and energy. I can be somewhat seduced by certain types of music... as well as uplifted by higher vibrational sounds.. I love it all.... depending on my mood and perspective.. i tend to listen to the "darker stuff" sparingly though as it really affects me.

"you know that you have found your passion when your love for it overrides any fear to attain it..."-Solace
Old 21-09-2011, 10:12 AM
kislany

I grew up with heavy metal and rock (70s and 80s) and I'm still stuck in that era somehow. But on the dark side, I love goth music - not the really harsh ones, but more the melodious ones with the female lead clearly dominating (think the old Nightwish, etc).
Old 21-09-2011, 11:54 AM
sappy

I listen to lots of metal there is nothing like listening to Marilyn Manson, NIN, Pantera, Lamb of God..... (You get the idea)...... especially when your ****ed off instead of making me angrier it actually calms me down.
Old 21-09-2011, 12:48 PM
illusion

I think it's possible to just enjoy music for its aesthetics, without getting hung up about lyrical content. I listen to a lot of stuff that would be consider base, aggressive, or "dark". But there is a lot of energy in that type of music, which has a positive effect on me. If the lyrics get too angry or hateful or are otherwise not on my wavelength, I just chuckle to myself and filter them out, and enjoy the music as a pure sound experience.

The spiritually evolved music is generally way too pallid and retiring to do anything for me, although I might relate more to lyrics that focus on love and unity, the music itself is not what I gravitate towards. An exception to that might be conscious hip-hop and reggae, which are simultaneously energetic and inspiring.

I believe this has already been pointed out, but I will tune in and agree that angry music isn't always destructive. Sometimes it can be about righteous anger. I think someone mentioned Ministry as an example, and their songs often deal with human rights and justice and personal responsibility and awareness. All good things.
Old 24-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Charlies Angel

Talking

I am a big metal fan. I hear it being called dark, the devils' music, Satan worshiping and other stereotypes. Yes, it can be aggressive and often is if it's done right IMO. I'm 30, no rebellious teenager! I've been listening to metal for ten years now.

Some times I slip into easier listening, I currently like Christina Perri and Florence and the Machine, but I always come back to metal. When I first got into Marylin Manson, I was conflicted. Holywood and Anti-Christ Superstar are two of my favourite albums and I found I had to distance myself away from the anti religious imagery and lyrics and concentrate more on the music. After all a lot of what MM does IMO at least is to shock and to annoy orthodox Christians!

ATM I am revisiting Iowa by Slipknot. But I also enjoy the gentler sounds of Corey's side project Stone Sour. I find deep meaning in heavy metal and through it I find a catharsis. I have had some difficult times in my life, bullying, jealousy, bad relationships and bad friendships. Heavy metal/thrash etc gives me a medium to expel my negativity, anger and disappointment. I get into the rock club, I mosh as hard as I can, I scream to the lyrics (incidentally how good are RATM for that?!) and I feel better. I honestly think I am the pleasant and chilled and incredibly patient person because I can use my music to vent.

In all my years going to rock/metal clubs I have rarely if ever seen any aggression or violence. Yet the streets spill out with fights from people leaving mainstream music clubs. How can you vent to Kylie or Britney?!

Give me metal any day!
Old 25-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Sangress

Slipknot. whooo. I'm a maggot. :P

I'm listening to a band called Drowning Pool at the moment. It's one of those bands that is both grungy and uplifting and can switch to dark and gruesom at a moments notice. Love bands like that who have a diversity and depth to them.

I don't think its the genra of music that affects a person, its the meanings behind a song, the lyrics and the emotions in it that are important to me at least.
Old 25-10-2011, 01:57 AM
mattie

Personal Preference

I’m not inclined to label various types of music as light or dark. This is VERY subjective.

That said, I’m not keen on lyrics that promote violence or misogyny.
Old 25-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Master
"Full-fat, high cholesterol" old-school heavy rock for me [ AC/DC, Sabbath, Zeppelin, etc] but also high-quality soft rock like Queen and pagan rock - Inkubus Sukkubus.
Anyone see the common link there ?
Old 25-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Charlies Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangress
Slipknot. whooo. I'm a maggot. :P

I'm listening to a band called Drowning Pool at the moment. It's one of those bands that is both grungy and uplifting and can switch to dark and gruesom at a moments notice. Love bands like that who have a diversity and depth to them.

I used to love Drowning Pool. I saw them years back at Ozfest, I think. I saw Dave Williams after in the signing tent and he raised his beer to me. Not long after he joined the spirit world.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Sangress

Quote:
I used to love Drowning Pool. I saw them years back at Ozfest, I think. I saw Dave Williams after in the signing tent and he raised his beer to me. Not long after he joined the spirit world.

*drools* jealoussss. Lol.