Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 26-11-2010, 10:16 PM
din

Spirituality 101

Spirituality 101 in two half-hour videos

http://www.adyashanti.org/cafedharma/index.php?file=video

Tzu, are you listening? :)
Old 27-11-2010, 12:35 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by din

I listened, and i've listened to several other of this nice man's videos.. i disagree.. i understand this as mind-play, non-functional mind-play.. and, it's not a problem, life will continue regardless..

Be whatever you choose..
Old 27-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by din

i listened to this two videos already. but it was a long time ago. if i am not mistaken this video is about who we are more that what we usually and customarily we think we are.

very clear, very simple, basic and helpful for those in spirituality 101.

tzu as usual i don't understand how you can't relate to this.
my guess were you we're never confused as to your identity all your life.
perhaps you are blessed with solid rock self confidence.

so i find it strange that some can relate to the latter (spiritual 102) without relating to the former (spiritual 101)

Last edited by hybrid : 27-11-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 27-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Master
the video illustrates in my opinion that in the world of subjectivity, this can be divided into :

1. contents of consciousness and
2. consciousness itself.

being related to as the objects of consciousness depends on consciousness and would not exist without it.

the experience of being consciousness is associated as being immortal invincible empty blissful infinite and eternal. these are very liberating and desirable experiences. generally speaking, contrary to some view that this experience leads to nihilism or escapism or the loss of will to engage in "real" life is not true.

this is spiritual 101. if there is a spiritual 102, it is to integrate it to the finite aspects of practical living. this is when we recognize that we are both the source and it's expression. the universal and the individual.

Old 27-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Master
i can't say i disagree with the guy if i have an entirely different experience. it seems like he is also talking based on his experience. so i wouldn't know. but it is enough for me to understand what he is saying even conceptually.

Old 27-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Master
I know what Tzu means... and all this stuff about 'really are' is something I was mislead into for a time.

But since I'm discerning I find I agree for a while and then disagree for a while as I listen... typical of a Taoist I guess.
Old 27-11-2010, 04:26 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid
tzu as usual i don't understand how you can't relate to this.
my guess were you we're never confused as to your identity all your life.
perhaps you are blessed with solid rock self confidence.
Hi Hybrid: I was raised in a southern fundamental Christian environment, almost every member of my family made their living from service to the church in one capacity or another, my brother and 2 cousins are ordained ministers, and there are choir directors, youth ministers, missionaries, administrative staff, etc.. From as early as i can remember, the 'story' didn't add-up.. so, i was drawn to every sort of other belief system, and.. there's always something that doesn't add-up..

What is observable, though, is that there are common elements within each system, fundamental understandings that transcend the differences, a thread of Truth.. Here's what i have found to be consistent and without contradiction except for 'semantic nuance'.. Spirituality is the understanding that 'we' are Parts of a Greater Whole, where the Whole is greater than the sum of its parts.. we are always 'Parts AND Whole' simultaneously.. the only difference is in the perception we choose..

The whole "egoic consciousness' routine is another attachment to 'belief'.. so you discard your given name and wear a cool Spiritual name? That's just another attachment or 'ego' for those that favor that concept.. how about shaving your head to avoid attachment to the image you can create with hair? or, is shaving the head actually saying, 'look at me, i'm not attached to my hair anymore', when.. now you're attached to how much better you are..

Suffering has to do with not understanding Life..that we ARE One AND Many at the same time.. Hurt one/hurt all ~ help one/help all.. it's that simple, but.. the implications are heavy, and those that want power have devised every manner of rationalizing away that basic Truth.. even to the point of convincing people they don't really exist.. People exist, Life exists, the Cosmos exists, look.. just Look..

I have been confused, and i don't have a huge supply of "self confidence".. but.. i have a simple process for resolving inconsistencies.. i stop talking to myself, i suspend the mind's preferences, prejudices and beliefs, and.. i look sincerely at what's happening.. almost always, what's happening fits into the 'common elements' mentioned earlier, and.. from this, i am able to discern the nature of what's happening, not the specifics, but the flow.. Life seems to reveal itself and its flow, and i go.. sometimes i nudge here, bump there, but.. mostly i slide through the spaces left by those the don't get it or that try to force it.. they leave silent gaps where the 'travelers' slip along quietly, without resistance.. fine-tuning the process as they go..

Be well..
Old 27-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I know what Tzu means... and all this stuff about 'really are' is something I was mislead into for a time.

But since I'm discerning I find I agree for a while and then disagree for a while as I listen... typical of a Taoist I guess.

yes if everybody just can "tao" it.
but there was always a time when you weren't this way.

i am interested in that... there was a time i don't know how to tao. so i can relate to the video, these videos are for seekers. probably a "milk for babes" in the caliber of tzu and you. but i am sure tzu wasn't always like that and there was a time that he was also seeking.

so i would guess that although he denied egoic consciousness being such a belief and attachment only, there was time with him having less understanding and his mind was also dominated by egoic consciousness. meaning attached to this belief one time or another,

Old 27-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi
Greetings..

Hi Hybrid: I was raised in a southern fundamental Christian environment, almost every member of my family made their living from service to the church in one capacity or another, my brother and 2 cousins are ordained ministers, and there are choir directors, youth ministers, missionaries, administrative staff, etc.. From as early as i can remember, the 'story' didn't add-up.. so, i was drawn to every sort of other belief system, and.. there's always something that doesn't add-up..

What is observable, though, is that there are common elements within each system, fundamental understandings that transcend the differences, a thread of Truth.. Here's what i have found to be consistent and without contradiction except for 'semantic nuance'.. Spirituality is the understanding that 'we' are Parts of a Greater Whole, where the Whole is greater than the sum of its parts.. we are always 'Parts AND Whole' simultaneously.. the only difference is in the perception we choose..

The whole "egoic consciousness' routine is another attachment to 'belief'.. so you discard your given name and wear a cool Spiritual name? That's just another attachment or 'ego' for those that favor that concept.. how about shaving your head to avoid attachment to the image you can create with hair? or, is shaving the head actually saying, 'look at me, i'm not attached to my hair anymore', when.. now you're attached to how much better you are..

Suffering has to do with not understanding Life..that we ARE One AND Many at the same time.. Hurt one/hurt all ~ help one/help all.. it's that simple, but.. the implications are heavy, and those that want power have devised every manner of rationalizing away that basic Truth.. even to the point of convincing people they don't really exist.. People exist, Life exists, the Cosmos exists, look.. just Look..

I have been confused, and i don't have a huge supply of "self confidence".. but.. i have a simple process for resolving inconsistencies.. i stop talking to myself, i suspend the mind's preferences, prejudices and beliefs, and.. i look sincerely at what's happening.. almost always, what's happening fits into the 'common elements' mentioned earlier, and.. from this, i am able to discern the nature of what's happening, not the specifics, but the flow.. Life seems to reveal itself and its flow, and i go.. sometimes i nudge here, bump there, but.. mostly i slide through the spaces left by those the don't get it or that try to force it.. they leave silent gaps where the 'travelers' slip along quietly, without resistance.. fine-tuning the process as they go..

Be well..

to communicate in such a way so as to be able to relate to a seeker what's going on inside of him, his struggles and his thoughts and attitudes towards his own being is the mark of having a true understanding.

it's like saying hey i know what you've been going thru and i understand how you feel. i've been there and this is how i have come to overcome my difficulties.

to dimiss something like oh its just a mind game and life goes on doesn't help at all, what in the first place is that suppose to mean anyway? life goes on ,, so what? and you can dismiss every perspective all you want by saying it's a mind game (including yours mind you) but it never done anyone any good anyhow.

Old 27-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Master
Quote:

you and tzu made me think how it is like to be two anti-socials became enlightened hahaha. just kiddin.

well to be misled is to take something the a wrong way.
"really are" is a good way to talk about how we are entrapped with our own subjectivity.