Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 AM
jasonspath

how do i begin yoga?

I am new to yoga and I am exited but confused on starting my journey. I was doing yoga classes at my local gym until I watched gurus say western yoga has lost its meaning and now it's a pointless exercise program. So I started doing my own research on figuring out my own yoga program until I heard gurus say practicing yoga without the guidance of a guru is more harmful then good. What do I do? I have no mentor and I dont want to steer myself in the wrong direction!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 AM
Mayflow

Stretch your body and stretch your mind, and be happy and gentle with self and others. Enjoy life and be yourself, for it is for each to practice in their own way.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Master

I suggest that instead of going to a gym for yoga, go to a dedicated yoga center.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Master
yes, seconding kris, and also one that sticks to a specific tradition (ex Hatha Yoga, Bikram, Ashtanga, Iyengar...)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Deactivated Account
How do you start yoga?
How would you start building a shed?
Just start.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Master

Great thing to do.

When you realise that yoga is not an exercise but a way of life - mind, body, spirit, you will revotionise your life.

Yoga is more about stretching, it's about breathing, it's about mindfulness, it's about meditation, it's about eating, it's about philosophies, it's about devotion. And many other things.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Free_Spirit1983

Strange seeing this on here as I'm just starting with yoga too..

I found a good yoga centre in my area and I've booked a 4 hour kundalini workshop this Saturday,

Good luck with your venture!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Experiencer
there is probably a local yoga class you can find.
and once you learn where to start, its perfectly ok to do it on your own. its meant to be done daily. do it meditatively. you can find how to do some kriyas just online. dont worry about getting it exact, that will come with time. your intention is most important.
Old 21-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Anandini.Devotee

Yoga is more then just posing and stretching. I've seen very successful people think that they are advancing and going down the right path attending some exercise programs lead by a master who is no more awakened then themselves. This is a very bad thing happening in the west, society has simply used yoga as another means of mediocrasy.

Yoga is so simple, it is about quieting the mind, not encouraging more thoughts by analyzing god and demons and what is the right or wrong way to practice. Someone will think that because they have attended a meditation seminar or that they have found the right deity or that they can chant mantras or talk to spirits that they have found the right way and they will even try to lead others. Learning to meditate is great, but without a master to guide you it is not possible to learn how to keep yourself stable.
Old 21-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Anandini.Devotee

I will add by saying that kriya is the ancient yoga. The one that modern yoga has mistranslated and monopolized off of. It was never supposed to be a workout routine. Most yogis NEVER DO AN ASANA. Please spread this around because people calling that yoga is a shame to all the great masters of the himalayas. Please give them their yoga back!