Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-06-2017, 12:51 AM
Knower
Quote:
=FairyCrystal

Anywho, to repeat my question: anyone managed to successfully let go of 'mummy issues'?

I did. We haven't spoken in years.

I realize that to some this is just unfathomable, but it is okay to ask yourself why you'd have a relationship with a relative when if that person were a stranger, you'd turn and run as fast as possible.

I think a lot of people have it in their minds that family sticks together - always. And that's just crazy. The responsibility for being happy and at peace - as much as possible - rests within each person. Sometimes that looks like picking the lesser of two unfortunate choices. For example, 1) you're not happy in a relationship with your mother, and 2) you're not happy having her out of your life. Neither looks good, but they're not equally 'bad'.

You have to pick one. But the one thing I think you can't do is try to get her to change.

It's not okay to say "this person or that person drives me nuts" when you chose to have a relationship with him or her. Some will say - "But she's my mother - I have to have a relationship with her."

No, you really don't. You're an adult now and all of your relationships are choices.

I'm not saying all this is applicable to you - I'm just putting it out there.

I suggest you either take her as is or walk away - permanently. She's not going to change at her age. Not unless she has a moment of deep insight and is motivated by something intensely personal. It could happen. But it won't happen due to something you say.