Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 AM
Master
what is spirituality?

Today a light bulb went on after reading a number of different threads. What really is spirituality? I've noticed most people are on a spiritual search for something. I am one of those people . Is it more about the search then what your looking for? What would happen if you actually found it. Would you stop searching? Do you really want to find what you seek? Or is the search more important than what you find? Its just a thought.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Lorelyen

The many different threads, the division of the forum into topics/sections tells of how many answers you'd get if people were ready to repeat themselves.

Many are looking for answers that seemingly can't be found in the mundane, material world. They probably haven't any lifetime spiritual aims but if they can deal with more immediate problems they'll be happy enough.

For others it's the Great Work, a lifetime pursuit toward an aim. That aim might remain the same but what they discover en route might change how they approach it. Likewise, the aim might change as they come to terms with their Selves, the dark and light, the balance, the shedding of illusion and delusion (as best they can). It's likely to last to the end of their days because they are not static - it's a flow: experiences compound. The process itself can be absorbing and sometimes frightening!
(I put myself in this category - the search for Self, to become what I should have been all along - so until I get to the end of my time here I can't have found it (in a nutshell)).

Even sincerely religious people look on process and progress toward a lifetime aim - sometimes redemption, a place in heaven or some equivalent place, a reincarnation with a more developed soul.

Yet others, I suppose, are fascinated by the paranormal, by magick. Some are happy to be immersed in the processes covered by topics on this forum but with no particular aim except the hope they're doing themselves good.

But your question is interesting. I wonder how many seekers ask "Why?" What they hope to get from it.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
The many different threads, the division of the forum into topics/sections tells of how many answers you'd get if people were ready to repeat themselves.

Many are looking for answers that seemingly can't be found in the mundane, material world. They probably haven't any lifetime spiritual aims but if they can deal with more immediate problems they'll be happy enough.

For others it's the Great Work, a lifetime pursuit with an aim only vaguely describable. The aim might remain the same but what they discover en route might change how they approach it. Likewise, the aim might change as they come to terms with their Selves, the dark and light, the balance, the shedding of illusion and delusion (as best they can). It's likely to last to the end of their days because they are not static - it's a flow: experiences compound and augment their firmaments. The process itself can be interesting and absorbing and sometimes frightening!

I put myself in this category - the search for Self, to become what I should have been all along, by the end of my days.

Even sincerely religious people look on progress and process toward a lifetime aim - sometimes redemption, sagacity, various things.

Yet others, I suppose, are fascinated by the paranormal, by magick. Some are happy to be immersed in the processes embodied by topics on this forum but with no particular aim except the hope they're doing themselves good.
i like your explanation. On my journey i have learned and experienced some positive life changing experiences. So is it not what you seek but you find along the way? Oooooh wow! i hurd that one 1,000 times but my little light bulb went on again and gave that qoute a whole new meaning.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
Today a light bulb went on after reading a number of different threads. What really is spirituality? I've noticed most people are on a spiritual search for something. I am one of those people . Is it more about the search then what your looking for? What would happen if you actually found it. Would you stop searching? Do you really want to find what you seek? Or is the search more important than what you find? Its just a thought.

Spir means breath. Ritual is what you do with the body, or the ritual of involution into a material vehicle. In the end, the word Spiritual is the follower of the breath. The primary meaning of breath is what you take in and what you expel out. This holds correspondence to all levels of reality, not just breathing.

For instance, food holds correspondence to knowledge. Knowledge is parallel to sex. Sex is in and out, just as breath is in and out; just as speech is in and out; just as all things are this.

Spiritual is view. Wrong view makes ill will and anger by wrong desire. If right view is attained (Spiritual understanding), then right nature (love) and unity (right desire for the benefit of others).

These are the three non-virtues fixed by the three jewels. In truth, there are only three things to fix.

1) Right View (Who you are by identity)
2) Right Nature (Who you are by nature / Love)
3) Right Unity (Who you are in others)

YOU are the thing you are looking for with the Spirit. It's your Spirit in us all. This is Enlightenment, or realization of Identity, Nature and Unity as single in all beings.

Breath. I have four books on Amazon explaining all of this in detail. LINK
Old 04-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
i like your explanation. On my journey i have learned and experienced some positive life changing experiences. So is it not what you seek but you find along the way? Oooooh wow! i hurd that one 1,000 times but my little light bulb went on again and gave that qoute a whole new meaning.

Thank you. I regret that I edited my post - a terrible habit but seeing a post laid out in the full panel is different from seeing it in the reply box! Still, the content is basically the same.

Yes, the voyage of discovery, opens the world to you (inner and outer). It carries us toward a wholeness, a broadening of awareness that enriches our experience of life on the planet; it surely puts us in a position to drive our own lives rather than be puppets to social conditioning, no matter what that aim is or was. It isn't always easy to deal with shadows cast across our paths nor to shed delusion for which we often have to kill a few sacred cows. But if we want to reach any understanding of ourselves we have to do it.

I still think it's useful to ask ourselves why we feel the need to do it, even if every time I ask I come up with different reasons!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:52 PM
boshy b. good

Quote:
Spirituality 'to me' is the "thick and
thin" of eat, drink, and be merry.

It might be offull targeted bad'd in the bible,
the good good, but we know it goes through

Otherwise, we find innernessed waiting to
firework

Quote:
Spirituality to me is a fix, do we dare
that.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Master

Quote:
Today a light bulb went on after reading a number of different threads. What really is spirituality? I've noticed most people are on a spiritual search for something. I am one of those people. Is it more about the search then what your looking for? What would happen if you actually found it. Would you stop searching? Do you really want to find what you seek? Or is the search more important than what you find? Its just a thought.

Spirituality is the search for the Self and the finding of the Self and the resting in the Self.

We may start the spiritual search by looking outwards to some teacher or path or practice. We may flit from teacher to teacher, trying this practice and that practice, seeing what works for us. Perhaps we feel that there is something missing and maybe the next teacher will supply that missing bit. Perhaps we find comfort in our identity of being a spiritual seeker.

Eventually we turn inwards, because that is where the answers lie. Then we have to start unlearning and letting go. This can be uncomfortable because we are in uncharted territory, having to rely on ourselves.

And maybe one day there is realisation. We see what has always been there. This is not the end of the journey but it is the end of seeking. We can still explore everything which is out there, but we do so out of curiosity, not out of need.

So we begin the spiritual journey searching for something spectacular and if we are fortunate we find that the Answer is actually very simple.

Peace.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:29 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:

Different ideas of spirituality on this forum:

1. Supranormal experiences and magik - e.g. OBE, astral projection, telepathy, ESP, mediumship, bright lights, visions etc. This is the most common idea of "spirituality" that I have witnessed here on this forum and relates to aspects that appear to be supramundane i.e. that the ordinary man and woman on the street would find to be more opaque and less common. Often exciting and interesting.

2. Social activism - actions, thoughts and deeds to improve (in whichever manner one's belief system dictates) society e.g. advancing certain causes or ideals

3. Virtue and ethics - The belief that certain characteristics indicate a person is spiritual e.g. being softly spoken, displaying attributes such as being friendly, exhibiting certain social characteristics that a person believes is evident of being "spiritual" such as being collaborative and speaking of goodness. This is usually evidenced by shifts in attitude and aims to exhibit certain social and personality characteristics.

4. Self improvement - Advancing the self in terms of knowledge, ideas or psychological aspects e.g. trying to adjust one's psychology, advancing oneself in terms of accumulation of knowledge or position, gaining improved understanding of one's psychological patterns and adjusting this. This can include working with aspects such as one's "inner child". etc.

5. Energy work and/or adjustment of feelings - Example bliss, adjustment of energy centers and energy flow in and through one's being, healing.

6. Religion - Following the ideals and standards evidenced in religions e.g. Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Taoism, Advaita-Vedanta amongst others (This may or may not relate to 7 depending on the religion and the aspirant's interpretations of the teachings) Other religions or structured belief systems can include Scientology, Neo-Advaita, and other followings in this world (of whichever nature)

7. God-nature/Truth - Actualizing the teachings of God/Buddha in and through one's life. I personally believe this is the synthesis of a wide array of spiritual masters/traditions including Jesus, Buddhism, Advaita-Vedanta, Sufism and others - which are all extraordinarily similar in result and pointer in my opinion. This is my personal definition and attitude to what is spiritual work.

8. Romance and relationships - Attracted to ideas such as soul-mates and twin-flames, or seeking friendship amidst like minded people. Generally not attracted to other areas as much, as relationships of this nature are a dominant area of interest and focus in one's life, and companionship on this forum and IRL is appreciated.

9. Other - Other areas including an interest in faeries, nature, elementals, stones, aromatherapy etc.

10. Unsure what one is yet seeking, but looking for some answer/solution/path that may help one gain some clarity/peace of mind/truth in one's life (related to 7 and is often the precursor to the path of Truth)

Some of these inter-relate to a degree, some are complementary, others are not... This is how I have seen things operate on this forum

When I personally think of spirituality, I see it as encompassing everything but it's also highly specific in terms of a path of practice and outcome (#7) if one is looking for transcendent nature/Truth/God realization/Gnosis.

BT
Old 05-02-2018, 03:20 AM
Master
I am really thinking what spirituality is for me. It is the journey, its what i learn about my true self along the way. I always had issues with teacher's and things that are written in stone. Simply because you choose your own path for different reasons. This thread in part with a few others opened up some new doors and closed a few others. I can accept others paths better and my own as well. I have new true meanings for old hazy things. Thanks alot world
Old 05-02-2018, 04:47 AM
Suspended
Ascender

That sounds nice, hallow.