Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Mysteries, Myths & Legends

Old 11-03-2011, 06:07 AM
nightowl

Your local legend...???

Almost every town has its legend and ghost stories. What are some of the legends or stories from your town.

In my neck of the woods we have the legend of Moll Dyer.

Moll Dyer (died c. 1697?) is the name of a legendary 17th-century resident of Leonardtown, Maryland who was said to have been accused of witchcraft and chased out of her home by the local townsfolk on a winter night. Her body was found a few days later, partially frozen to a large stone. Stories say her spirit haunts the land, looking for the men who forced her from her home. The land near her cabin is said to be cursed, never again growing good crops, and an unusual number of lightning strikes have been recorded there.

It is said the rock they found her on bear her hand imprints. They have moved the stone to the county courthouse where it is on display for visitors to see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moll_Dyer

nightowl
Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM
mava

Freaaaky.
This is such a great idea for a thread!!!!!!!

I don't really know of any myths from my town, but I can't wait to see what others post!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Master
no ghostly legends in or around my tiny present hometown. plenty of history, though ... like the tragic black township of Rosewood was not far from where i live.

i made Key West my hometown for 15 years before moving to the boonies ... now THAT'S a legend filled town.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Queries
no ghostly legends in or around my tiny present hometown. plenty of history, though ... like the tragic black township of Rosewood was not far from where i live.

i made Key West my hometown for 15 years before moving to the boonies ... now THAT'S a legend filled town.

How about sharing some of the stories from Key West? Please...

Thanks Mava, I am hoping to here some neat stories too!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
How about sharing some of the stories from Key West? Please...

Thanks Mava, I am hoping to here some neat stories too!

well, there's this true story about this man who was so in love with his girlfriend that when she died he stole her body from her grave and took her home. he then enshrined her body and lived with it for like 7 or 8 years. ew! talk about attachments.

of course, the Hemmingway House is apparently haunted by Hemmingway. and the little New Orleans style cemetary, the old fort and the lighthouse are also haunted. i, personally, never encountered Hemmingway or any of the other ghosts purported to be haunting Key West.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:24 PM
nightowl

Quote:
well, there's this true story about this man who was so in love with his girlfriend that when she died he stole her body from her grave and took her home. he then enshrined her body and lived with it for like 7 or 8 years. ew! talk about attachments.

of course, the Hemmingway House is apparently haunted by Hemmingway. and the little New Orleans style cemetary, the old fort and the lighthouse are also haunted. i, personally, never encountered Hemmingway or any of the other ghosts purported to be haunting Key West.

eww is right! I'm all for love but....geese!

...New Orleans style cemetary, must have some above ground tombs and crypts? They are eerie and neat. In the bigger New Orleans cemetaries some of those crypts are really decked out. I remember seeing one with a chandelier inside and stained glass windows.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Master
Quote:
eww is right! I'm all for love but....geese!

...New Orleans style cemetary, must have some above ground tombs and crypts? They are eerie and neat. In the bigger New Orleans cemetaries some of those crypts are really decked out. I remember seeing one with a chandelier inside and stained glass windows.

yep, Key West is just a big hunk of coral rock so there's no way to dig deep graves so the little cemetary is all vaults, crypts and tombs. it's pretty cool but far smaller than those cemetaries in New Orleans. i had one of my clearest "ghost" sightings in one of those old New Orleans cemetaries.

oh hey! DOH! how could i forget? i grew up in one of the most legend ridden areas of America! i grew up in N. Tarrytown where the Legend of Sleepy Hollow took place, which is not far from the mountain where Rip Van Winkle took his long nap. when i was kid i used to see "ghosts" in the Sleepy Hollow cemetary all the time. i used play inside and around the famous Old Dutch Church.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM
nightowl

Quote:
oh hey! DOH! how could i forget? i grew up in one of the most legend ridden areas of America! i grew up in N. Tarrytown where the Legend of Sleepy Hollow took place, which is not far from the mountain where Rip Van Winkle took his long nap. when i was kid i used to see "ghosts" in the Sleepy Hollow cemetary all the time. i used play inside and around the famous Old Dutch Church.

Yes! The Sleepy Hollow Legend is my favorite! I am planning on visiting it here real soon. I was thinking of going around Halloween, I think it would be even more awesome then. Have you seen Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken in Tim Burton's version of Sleepy Hollow, it is one of my all time favorite flicks. It is sooo well done!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Ascender
nj pine barrens - jersey devil - satan had sex with a virgin and a freak flew out, the thing is still flying around out there.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Yes! The Sleepy Hollow Legend is my favorite! I am planning on visiting it here real soon. I was thinking of going around Halloween, I think it would be even more awesome then. Have you seen Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken in Tim Burton's version of Sleepy Hollow, it is one of my all time favorite flicks. It is sooo well done!

yeah, i saw that movie. we have it on DVD. i like it (how can you not like Depp?) but it's nothing like Washington Irving's original story. N. Tarrytown has been renamed Sleepy Hollow, which is, IMO, really lame because Irving specifically mentions N. Tarrytown in his story. i guess town officials decided that changing the town's name would bring in more tourists.