Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 05-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Pathfinder

Encounter with a wolf

Recently we visited the Miami area and went to a zoo-like place called the Safari Edventure. There were all sorts of animals there, but there were also wolves, and the staff allowed visitors in to interact with the wolves. I enjoyed interacting with them as they were young and playful arctic wolves. They reminded me of my White German Shepherd who I named Wolfie. One of the young ones licked me on the face and nibbled my chin. They reminded me so much of my dogs, but had a much more primal feeling. A couple took their 2 month old baby in there and the wolves were so curious about her and sniffed and licked her. I really enjoyed watching them and interacting them.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
That must have been an inspiring meeting! I hope the wolves are happy in their surroundings (?) The ones you met seem very friendly with humans.

I have never encountered a full-blood wolf. The nearest I came to that was I met a wolf/dog hybrid with high wolf content. Her mother was timber wolf. I don't know what the father was. She was silver grey, slim and very sleek....she didn't look to have German Shepherd in her make-up.
She was young, fit and well, but was kept in a large 'run'. It was obvious she didn't get to go out very much. I felt so sorry for her and wished I could have taken her to the woods and fields for miles....
She was very 'wriggly' and friendly, and licked my armpits -was so fascinated by them! I felt sorry that she must have licked up so much underarm deodorant!

I'd had to leave my dog in the car while I visited her. When I got back to the car, my dog was very pleased to see me as usual. But as soon as she caught the scent of the wolf-dog on me, she suddenly did not look happy. I never knew why.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Experiencer

Did you both notice how soft their fur was?? Amazingly so,,quite unexpected really as one would think the fur would be coarse..
Old 05-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Pathfinder

Wolves

living in Australia you don't get to see any wolves outside of zoos, we have Dingos, but they were brought here by the Aborigines and went feral, so we don't really have any true wild dogs like wolves, Wolves and hybrid wolves are banned from entering the country. When I was younger I read Jack London's Call of the Wild, I really wanted a Wolf as a pet, A little bit older i realized how unrealistic that was. But what does concern me is the plight of a lot of hybrid wolf/dog animals in America, So many people really like the idea of "owning" such a beautiful animal(it being really cool) without any knowledge of their very special needs, they cannot be treated as an ordinary dog, they are very high maintenance, and need a lot of time, not to mention a large safe enclosure. So after getting their Wolf/Dog hybrid, and then just cannot cope with the animals needs, these beautiful animals often end up being dumped by their "owners". By this time the poor animal has not been socialized properly and is usually killed, because no one wants the animal. It is a very sad situation. While it is true, some carers of these animals do an excellent job, most don't.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wolf Medicine Woman
Did you both notice how soft their fur was?? Amazingly so,,quite unexpected really as one would think the fur would be coarse..

Yes the fur was soft. I think that's because of the sleek 'guard hairs' on a wolf's coat, plus the downy under-fur. Both together they are wonderfully soft.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsong
living in Australia you don't get to see any wolves outside of zoos, we have Dingos, but they were brought here by the Aborigines and went feral, so we don't really have any true wild dogs like wolves, Wolves and hybrid wolves are banned from entering the country. When I was younger I read Jack London's Call of the Wild, I really wanted a Wolf as a pet, A little bit older i realized how unrealistic that was. But what does concern me is the plight of a lot of hybrid wolf/dog animals in America, So many people really like the idea of "owning" such a beautiful animal(it being really cool) without any knowledge of their very special needs, they cannot be treated as an ordinary dog, they are very high maintenance, and need a lot of time, not to mention a large safe enclosure. So after getting their Wolf/Dog hybrid, and then just cannot cope with the animals needs, these beautiful animals often end up being dumped by their "owners". By this time the poor animal has not been socialized properly and is usually killed, because no one wants the animal. It is a very sad situation. While it is true, some carers of these animals do an excellent job, most don't.

I absolutely agree with you Dragonsong. When I met that beautiful wolf-hybrid girl, it was at a woman's farm who bred them. I was instantly aware that the hybrid was not going to get the life she was genetically and emotionally meant to have.
It was a poignant meeting. She was about a year-18 months old, and had a life of misunderstanding ahead of her perhaps...adopted possibly by someone who wanted a cute "wolf-like dog".?
Many humans don't know how to live with a wolf, and keep up with its genuine needs, even if it loves them. And a high wolf-content hybrid is going to be like a wolf in temperament.

I am not generally in favour of this hybridising.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:50 AM
Deactivated Account
That's awesome! I hope to meet & greet some wolves before I die, and I know just the sanctuary/reservation where I want to have that experience...

Old 10-08-2015, 09:11 AM
10SkyBlue12

Wolves are really magical and majestic creatures. I envy you for having the opportunity because i live in a tropical country. Were they baby wolves or adult wolves? must have been really awesome interacting with them.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsong

I too am in Australia. In the high country wild dogs are a real problem to graziers. Most are cross breed dogs dingo/ pig dog. Unfortunately some are just lost & left behind by hunters that were out chasing pigs & roos. I probably should rephrase my statement that the owners of these animals are the real problem.
Old 28-08-2015, 09:10 AM
NyctoTwoSpirits

I never liked the thought of wolf-dog hybrids having been made, as it feels like an insult to the wolves of the wild, and to wolf therians. I've always had a very deep connection with wolves, that I later realized to be a past life. Wolves are beautiful creatures, but they are in no way tame or domestic. They belong in the wild, where their home is. While it is painful to see them in zoos, I can understand some being kept in sanctuaries to aid with education and help their numbers.