Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 26-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Deactivated Account

How Do I Know?

How do I know if I am meditating the correct way?

I normally put on a white noise, I like to use this one a lot:

cannot post link, you need 15 posts.

I start to focus on my breathing, I take a deep breath in through my nose, then out my mouth, I do sometimes find it hard to take a deep breath, as I don't get much exercise as I should. - After a few times of doing that, I breath normally, then I focus on the darkness I see in my eyes. ( I have my eyes shut. ) And I just focus on what I can see, nothing. - After a while, the vision in my shut eyes start to become light, then dark, then light, then dark, like a very slow strobe light, anyone else have this?

When I stop and open my eyes, I feel very very refreshed, it's nice to stop sometimes, as my mind is hyperactive a lot.

Am I doing it right?
Old 26-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Lorelyen

I honestly can't think there's one correct way.

Looking at different approaches (here, as much as anywhere) the important things are
-learning to get as physically relaxed as possible.
-learning to still the mind
-having a reason to meditate (which might just be learning to still the mind)
- visualising what you need to.

Your breathing pattern is right as long as you aren't tense with it. Start with a count inhalation for 4, hold it for 2, exhale for 4 (seconds approximately). Don't hold after the exhalation, just start a new inhalation. Feel it reaching right down into your stomach then building up into your chest. Deep but gentle, slow breaths. When you feel ready, step it up to 8:4:8, then 12:6:12.

If you find physical relaxation difficult, a few yoga asanas done properly, the kind that need long, slow tensions, may help or something more vigorous like dance. Posture is important. For westerners an armchair is fine. Point you have to watch is that you'll have some support should you drop off to sleep!

Stilling the mind is a problem for most. You never get rid of all your thoughts. In fact in the early minutes your mind might just not still! No matter, Let it ramble for a bit. Then start counting your breaths.... not the timing this time, you should already have a feel for that, but the number of breaths. You'll get so far then realise some thought has intruded.... well, maybe you won't in which case you're well away! Most people find thoughts creep in. When that happens, don't get frustrated. Try and blow the thought out like smoke or something then start again.

In the early stages don't spend too long at this practice. Say 10 minutes.

As for the dark behind your eyes.... Hmm, this practice can lead to "opening the third eye" which is nothing to be scared of and it probably won't happen straight away (it's a good reason to meditate though). Teal Swann has a lovely video about this should you want to try it.

The patches of light and dark behind your eyelids, do you ever have these in the minutes before sleep? I'm asking because they may be hypnogogic images. I have them and they can seriously interfere with meditations where I'm trying to visualise some scene or "pathwork". Like swatches of colours that very slowly surge and move around, the whole time changing, sometimes darking out then returning. They're all over the field of vision.

If so, don't be afraid but images might appear among them. Just let them be. They'll drift on in the end.

I don't know if this will help but most techniques are some variation of these basics. You sound like you're doing fine. But keep up deep, slow breathing, always within your capacity so you don't find yourself having to gasp!

Good luck!
Old 26-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Newbie ;)

Anxiety is the only obstacle to your meditation. When I first started meditating, I felt the same way and all my focus was going into the very question "am I doing it right?". There really is no wrong way. Meditation is pretty much all about letting your mind settle down. Thoughts may rush to and fro and bombard you uncontrollably. Just let them pass. Release your mind. Breath. Release all anxiety and question. Trust!! And be at peace
Old 26-03-2016, 11:51 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenuria81
Anxiety is the only obstacle to your meditation.

Pretty much this...anxiety, as well as the fear of the unknown, can "snap" one out of meditation as I've experienced this when I get into deep meditation...for some reason I begin to feel afraid for some reason and I snap out of deep meditation...This is something I am slowly working on...it takes time so be patient with yourself :)

I also do not believe in a "one true way" to do things....whatever feels comfortable for you and you are relaxed seems to be the key factors in meditation...
Old 27-03-2016, 02:07 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
I honestly can't think there's one correct way.

Looking at different approaches (here, as much as anywhere) the important things are
-learning to get as physically relaxed as possible.
-learning to still the mind
-having a reason to meditate (which might just be learning to still the mind)
- visualising what you need to.

Your breathing pattern is right as long as you aren't tense with it. Start with a count inhalation for 4, hold it for 2, exhale for 4 (seconds approximately). Don't hold after the exhalation, just start a new inhalation. Feel it reaching right down into your stomach then building up into your chest. Deep but gentle, slow breaths. When you feel ready, step it up to 8:4:8, then 12:6:12.

If you find physical relaxation difficult, a few yoga asanas done properly, the kind that need long, slow tensions, may help or something more vigorous like dance. Posture is important. For westerners an armchair is fine. Point you have to watch is that you'll have some support should you drop off to sleep!

Stilling the mind is a problem for most. You never get rid of all your thoughts. In fact in the early minutes your mind might just not still! No matter, Let it ramble for a bit. Then start counting your breaths.... not the timing this time, you should already have a feel for that, but the number of breaths. You'll get so far then realise some thought has intruded.... well, maybe you won't in which case you're well away! Most people find thoughts creep in. When that happens, don't get frustrated. Try and blow the thought out like smoke or something then start again.

In the early stages don't spend too long at this practice. Say 10 minutes.

As for the dark behind your eyes.... Hmm, this practice can lead to "opening the third eye" which is nothing to be scared of and it probably won't happen straight away (it's a good reason to meditate though). Teal Swann has a lovely video about this should you want to try it.

The patches of light and dark behind your eyelids, do you ever have these in the minutes before sleep? I'm asking because they may be hypnogogic images. I have them and they can seriously interfere with meditations where I'm trying to visualise some scene or "pathwork". Like swatches of colours that very slowly surge and move around, the whole time changing, sometimes darking out then returning. They're all over the field of vision.

If so, don't be afraid but images might appear among them. Just let them be. They'll drift on in the end.

I don't know if this will help but most techniques are some variation of these basics. You sound like you're doing fine. But keep up deep, slow breathing, always within your capacity so you don't find yourself having to gasp!

Good luck!

I did research a few months about opening your third eye, I'd love to do it, but will take a long time. :) I am sure that will help me on my spiritual path.
Old 27-03-2016, 05:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlo.n
How do I know if I am meditating the correct way?

I normally put on a white noise, I like to use this one a lot:

cannot post link, you need 15 posts.

I start to focus on my breathing, I take a deep breath in through my nose, then out my mouth, I do sometimes find it hard to take a deep breath, as I don't get much exercise as I should. - After a few times of doing that, I breath normally, then I focus on the darkness I see in my eyes. ( I have my eyes shut. ) And I just focus on what I can see, nothing. - After a while, the vision in my shut eyes start to become light, then dark, then light, then dark, like a very slow strobe light, anyone else have this?

When I stop and open my eyes, I feel very very refreshed, it's nice to stop sometimes, as my mind is hyperactive a lot.

Am I doing it right?

Sounds fine.