Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Closed Thread

Old 17-11-2005, 12:50 PM
DASA

Krishna Conscious Philosophy

I thought I'd invite people here to discuss any philosophical matters concerning the meaning and purpose of life - but with specific reference to the philosophy of Krishna Consciousness which is where my background is from.

If anyone would like to find out any more information, or would like to start any general discussions please post here and we'll see where it goes .... (see general introduction below)

What is Krishna consciousness?

Krishna consciousness is an sublime process of self realisation which has existed for many thousands of years, especially within India. It has become increasing popular around the world since the 1960's when an elderly monk known as Srila Prabhupada, on the order of his guru (Srila Bhaktisiddhanta) brought the teachings from India and single-handedly took the responsibility of spreading them around the Western world.

'Krishna' is a name for God which means 'all-attractive' - God has many names around the world such as Allah or Jehovah, just as the sun is also known by various names in the different languages of the world. Athough different people around the world may describe the sun in varying ways with different languages we can easily understand that in truth it is the same sun which rises each morning in all parts of the globe. Similarly although God is given many different titles it is to be understood that as the Supreme Person He is above all sectarian notions of 'Religion' and it is the same God being worshipped by the majority of people around the planet.

This act of worshipping Krishna or God is identified in the ancient Vedic scriptures of India as 'sanatana-dharma', literally meaning 'eternal duty'.

Srila Prabupada himself describes it as follows:

"Sanatana-dharma does not refer to any sectarian process of religion. It is the eternal function of the eternal living entities in relationship with the eternal Supreme Lord... Non-sanatana religious faith may have some beginning in the annals of human history, but there is no beginning to the history of sanatana-dharma because it remains eternally with the living entities."

The Primary role of the Krishna consciousness movement is to spread the process of mantra meditation (chanting/singing God's holy Names) around the world and to promote the understanding of 'sanatana dharma' as it is described in the ancient Vedic scriptures (such as Bhagavad-Gita, Srimad Bhagavatam & the Upanishads).

This process of mantra-meditation is said to be the best method for making spiritual progress in this current age which is known as the 'age of Kali'. Specifically we promote the use of the following 'Maha-matra' (Great mantra) but other names of God can also be used if one is already following a particular faith:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna,
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare,
Hare Rama Hare Rama,
Rama Rama Hare Hare.

This mantra is from an ancient text called the Kali Santaran Upanishad. The word 'Hare' refers to the energy of the Lord, and the words 'Krishna' and 'Rama' refer to the Lord Himself. The Maha-mantra has been well known in India ever since 500 years ago when a person known as 'Caitanya Mahaprabhu' (also known as Gouranga) spread it publically around the country.

This mantra can be spoken sofly to oneself, or can be sung by a group of people, depending on the circumstances. Most practitioners spend some time each morning in meditation, and then meet with others throughout the week.

Here's Srila Prabhupada's description of the Maha-mantra:

"Krishna consciousness is not an artificial imposition on the mind; this consciousness is the original energy of the living entity.

"When we hear the transcendental vibration, this consciousness is revived...This chanting of 'Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare / Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare' is directly enacted from the spiritual platform, and thus this sound vibration surpasses all lower strata of consciousness - namely sensual, mental, and intellectual...as such anyone can take part in the chanting without any previous qualification."
Old 04-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Space_Man

Re: Krishna Conscious Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASA
I thought I'd invite people here to discuss any philosophical matters concerning the meaning and purpose of life - but with specific reference to the philosophy of Krishna Consciousness which is where my background is from.
* cautiously/respectfully *

O.K
Old 05-01-2006, 04:16 PM
DASA

RE: Meaning of Life?

Hello Spaceman,

Thankyou for your post. I'll answer your last question first:

"And, just to clarify: Is it O.K. with you that people from different religious backgrounds participate in the discussion, or do you prefer to have only responses from people who share your own beliefs?"

YES - please feel free to discuss anything you wish, Krishna Consciousness is a non-sectarian process. I don't personally follow either the view that:

1) There is only one path to perfection and it is the same for everyone.
2) All paths lead to the same goal.

I feel that a balanced position somewhere inbetween the two is a healthy position for discussion and debate.

Your questions are straight to the point, I like that - I'll try my best to answer them both from a Krishna Conscious perspective.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Space_Man

Re: RE: Meaning of Life?

[quote=DASA] YES - please feel free to discuss anything you wish
Old 06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
DASA

The Meaning of Life?

Hello again Spaceman,

Thanks for the post. It's suddenly become more lively on spiritualforums since your arrival.

In answer to your comments: Yes it is described that generally we are all currently living 'under an illusion' (in sanskrit this illusion is called 'Maya'). We take this temporary body for ourselves, and are mostly too busy in day-to-day activities to understand the bigger picture of our eternal life.

Bhagavad-Gita 18.61: "The Supreme Lord is situated in everyone's heart, O Arjuna, and is directing the wanderings of all living entities, who are seated as on a machine, made of the material energy."

Our relationship with Krishna (God) can be revived at any moment, it does not wait untill after we leave our current body, as then we will simply be transferred again to another one.

The Primary method of reviving is our original spiritual consciousness to to chant/sing God's names. Such as the famous 'Maha-Mantra' :

'Hare Krishna Hare Krishna,
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare,
Hare Rama Hare Rama,
Rama Rama Hare Hare.'

It is said that the souls in animals are the same as human souls, but generally in animal bodies the chance to take to spiritual life is non existant (although not impossible in some rare cases). We have to wait untill we receive a human birth again.

B-Gita 5.18: "The humble sages, by virtue of true knowledge, see with equal vision [the soul within] a learned and gentle priest, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater."

So best to make good use of our current body while we still have it ! :-)

Do you agree with the concept of reincarnation? And of a Supreme Person in control of this universe?

Hare Krishna,

Your servant,

Das
Old 07-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Space_Man

Re: The Meaning of Life?

Quote:
It's suddenly become more lively on spiritualforums since your arrival.

Quote:
In answer to your comments: Yes it is described that generally we are all currently living 'under an illusion'...

Our relationship with Krishna (God) can be revived...The Primary method of reviving is our original spiritual consciousness to to chant/sing God's names.
So, to your mind, are there other means for one to find
Old 07-01-2006, 11:07 PM
DASA

Re: Re: The Meaning of Life?

"So, to your mind, are there other means for one to find
Old 08-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Poppies

Quote:
"All other interactions are categorised as being motivated either by Goodness, Passion, or Ignorance - or a mixture of two/three. As long as we are interacting within these 3 'modes' we will continue in the wheel of re-birth moving up and down amongst planets & lifeforms for eternity and a day. (Untill we get bored of it ;-))

DASA

I hope you don't mind me being curious! :)

When you say that "interactions are categorised as being motivated either by Goodness, Passion, or Ignorance" - I'd like to ask what the definition of "Passion" is. Is that 'sexual passion'? or is it passion as in the emotions - for example, a "crime of passion" is one perpetrated 'in the heat of the moment'? Anger can be described as 'passion'... jealousy etc etc.

Also, what about something like 'selfishness'? - Is that included in those 3 - "Goodness, Passion or Ignorance"....

I'm not really 'going anywhere' with this, but I'm really enjoying reading, and these questions came to mind! :)
Old 08-01-2006, 02:08 PM
DASA

Re: Meaning of Life

Hello Poppies,

thanks for the question, here's some further quotes from Bhagavad-Gita regarding the 'mode of passion'.

From the 14th Chapter:
"The mode of passion is born of unlimited desires and longings, O son of Kunti, and because of this the embodied living entity is bound to material fruitive actions."

"When there is an increase in the mode of passion the symptoms of great attachment, fruitive activity, intense endeavor, and uncontrollable desire and hankering develop."

"From the mode of goodness, real knowledge develops; from the mode of passion, greed develops; and from the mode of ignorance develop foolishness, madness and illusion."

In sanskrit the mode of passion is actually called 'Raja guna'. Guna has no real English equivalent, but translates to 'mode', and also to 'rope' as in it is something which binds you. Raja translates to 'actions whereby one tries to enjoy the fruit of his deeds'. (Fruitive action)

Basically it is acting selfishly, like you mentioned - wether it be 1% selfishly or 100% selfishly - depending on how much goodness and ignorance is also involved when we make a decision.

Sexuality is described as a natural part of human life, and can be performed in either Goodness, Passion or Ignorance depending on the motivation.

Later on Krishna gives a description of someone who has 'transcended' the 3 modes and attained perfection.

"One who does not hate illumination, attachment and delusion when they are present or long for them when they disappear; who is unwavering and undisturbed through all these reactions of the material qualities, remaining neutral and transcendental, knowing that the modes alone are active; who is situated in the self and regards alike happiness and distress; who looks upon a lump of earth, a stone and a piece of gold with an equal eye; who is equal toward the desirable and the undesirable; who is steady, situated equally well in praise and blame, honor and dishonor; who treats alike both friend and enemy; and who has renounced all material activities -- such a person is said to have transcended the modes of nature."

Best Wishes & Gouranga !!

your servant,

Das
Old 08-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Space_Man

Quote:
Are you interested in Space Travel & Astronomy - from the name and pictures?
Actually, that picture in my signature is there to remind me that no matter how big, horrible and overwhelming I think my own personal problems are, there are 10 billion of my fellow human beings on this planet who don
Closed Thread