Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Affirmations

Old 30-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Saspian

Secular assertions.

We all hold differing views relevant to the nature of God and possibilities inherent within the Cosmos. the first mantra I practised some decades ago was provided as part of my joining a Transcendental Meditation Group. At times i still go back to it, but largley prefer other methodologies today.

As one who finds cognitive therapy attractive (CBT), a system whererby, we look very carefully at verbal statements that upset us, or more succinctly how we respond badly to what others say, and thus give them undue control over us, I feel that such can be well utilized by atheist, theist or polytheist alike.

Secular assertions can involve sane directives to a whole host of human problems including spiritual ones.For example "self pity is not good" or "blame is counterproductive" can be generalized to fit many situations we find ourselves in, as can be "people are problems everywhere", a little softer than Jean Paul Sartre's ....."hell is othe people".

The psychiatrist Albert Ellis founded R.E.T. or rational emotive therapy, quite similar to C.B.T, and claims have been made as to the system being overly mechanical. Ellis himself stated, "there is not much point being the best adjusted nut in the mental home"
That said, I utilize over 200 personal and positive asertions and over many years have found it a great help with depressionas well as coping with other people.
Old 31-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Master
LOL, I loved that quote by Ellis "There is not much point being the best adjusted nut in the mental home". My laugh of the day.

I got through life as a loner. I knew I had issues, but in a lot of ways, I think that it made me stronger and I saw people different. I could have hated, but I felt pity for others and grief the world could be as it was, but also, in that grief, I found also, that there was great beauty in the world as well, and being through the miserable sides life can hold, it made me value and appreciate all the more the good and beauty. All that said, at one point, when I decided to attend church, this pastor's wife said that I needed therapy...this because she was a social worker and her pastor husband was also a school counselor and big on 12 steps... So that set me on a journey, an experience... one counselor...it was fine...she was 'enlightening me' Then she retired, I went to another and then it was decided that I needed drugs, so of course, this now sheep decided that others knew what was best for me, so I found a good shrink and got on drugs...then I found another pastor who said get off drugs... but now I was so f'd up...til I hit rock bottom and thought what the hell am I doing. it was as though I had given my life over for others to mess up instead of myself... so I toss everything away, not to say I didn't then seek other help in a span of ten years of booting out drugs, shrinks, therapists. Idid see one other woman and she was wonderful...she did past life stuff, but she was just a down to earth REAL person who was not afraid to share her own story and I liked that too.

this is going to be long, after I gave all that above... during the messed up period of my life...some suggested that I join forums for support... I had major depression, oh, you should join these forums. I did, and at first, yes, it was wonderful to yak it up with other depressed persons and see who had it worse... Then someone suggested I join a forum for people who were dealing with a peticular issue to discuss these matters with others who were involved. So I did that. for a time I 'thought' it was a good idea, but one day I simply sat and read and I saw some real issues and that was that no one was getting better. In fact, they were worse. They were living in this yucky, putrid state of pity and no one was growing out of it, climbing out of it. Both sites. It was a wake up call for me. they serve their purpose for a time, but then comes a point when you have to come out of the darkness. I expressed my thoughts with much resistance from others. Wished them well and I went on with waking up and getting on with life rather than being stuck as they were.

by the way, all that said, does not take away from the fact there there are forms of depression that no amount of talking will undue...and sometimes pills does not help. I have to deal with it, but I'm talking about individuals who for example go to a forum and thrive on woe and by continually talking about and comparing pain, instead of help isn't going to make the situation better. yes, you can feel better you arent alone, but that's about it.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Saspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
LOL, I loved that quote by Ellis "There is not much point being the best adjusted nut in the mental home". My laugh of the day.

I got through life as a loner. I knew I had issues, but in a lot of ways, I think that it made me stronger and I saw people different. I could have hated, but I felt pity for others and grief the world could be as it was, but also, in that grief, I found also, that there was great beauty in the world as well, and being through the miserable sides life can hold, it made me value and appreciate all the more the good and beauty. All that said, at one point, when I decided to attend church, this pastor's wife said that I needed therapy...this because she was a social worker and her pastor husband was also a school counselor and big on 12 steps... So that set me on a journey, an experience... one counselor...it was fine...she was 'enlightening me' Then she retired, I went to another and then it was decided that I needed drugs, so of course, this now sheep decided that others knew what was best for me, so I found a good shrink and got on drugs...then I found another pastor who said get off drugs... but now I was so f'd up...til I hit rock bottom and thought what the hell am I doing. it was as though I had given my life over for others to mess up instead of myself... so I toss everything away, not to say I didn't then seek other help in a span of ten years of booting out drugs, shrinks, therapists. Idid see one other woman and she was wonderful...she did past life stuff, but she was just a down to earth REAL person who was not afraid to share her own story and I liked that too.

this is going to be long, after I gave all that above... during the messed up period of my life...some suggested that I join forums for support... I had major depression, oh, you should join these forums. I did, and at first, yes, it was wonderful to yak it up with other depressed persons and see who had it worse... Then someone suggested I join a forum for people who were dealing with a peticular issue to discuss these matters with others who were involved. So I did that. for a time I 'thought' it was a good idea, but one day I simply sat and read and I saw some real issues and that was that no one was getting better. In fact, they were worse. They were living in this yucky, putrid state of pity and no one was growing out of it, climbing out of it. Both sites. It was a wake up call for me. they serve their purpose for a time, but then comes a point when you have to come out of the darkness. I expressed my thoughts with much resistance from others. Wished them well and I went on with waking up and getting on with life rather than being stuck as they were.

by the way, all that said, does not take away from the fact there there are forms of depression that no amount of talking will undue...and sometimes pills does not help. I have to deal with it, but I'm talking about individuals who for example go to a forum and thrive on woe and by continually talking about and comparing pain, instead of help isn't going to make the situation better. yes, you can feel better you arent alone, but that's about it.
I can relate to much of what you say, particularly the roller coaster ride with drugs, benzos in my case, for decades.

I believe that once we really take a good hard look at ourselves, stop the blame game, and become internalized in our thought processes, rather than be controlled by externals, we take a big step.