Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 13-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Skins_Princess

Flaxseed supplement....

Okay so I bought and started using some Flaxseed supplement (soft gel) pills yesterday, so far I've only taken 2 in the past 2 days and I decided to get them because I heard Flaxseed was good for PCOS sufferers such as myself even though the bottle said it was mainly for heart health. And I noticed today after I took one this morning I've been experiencing some bad diarreah. Don't know if it's that or the pizza rolls. What all is this supplement good for?
Old 13-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Medium_Laura

Flax is the highest fiber you can take/eat. That's perfectly normal.

Go online and look up Benefits to Flax seed oil. You will see it has many uses in the body. If left to spoil though it can and will turn into poison (arsenic)
Old 14-08-2011, 12:31 AM
DebbyM

Here's a great page about flax seed and it's benefits. I'm sure you'll be pleased to know all the benefits that come with using this item. One thing it did mention is that flax seed oil and ground flax seed must be refrigerated. Otherwise it quickly goes rancid and rancid oil is as bad for you, as fresh is good for you.

As for the side effect that you've noted, it is possible to get diarrhea from 2 tablespoons or more of flax seed oil. My guess is that because your system isn't used to it, it's giving you a primo 'lube' job. I would cut back by half on what you're taking and see how you fare with that. Good luck.

As a note, even nuts should be refrigerated to prevent the oils in them going rancid.
Old 14-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM
Here's a great page about flax seed and it's benefits. I'm sure you'll be pleased to know all the benefits that come with using this item. One thing it did mention is that flax seed oil and ground flax seed must be refrigerated. Otherwise it quickly goes rancid and rancid oil is as bad for you, as fresh is good for you.

As for the side effect that you've noted, it is possible to get diarrhea from 2 tablespoons or more of flax seed oil. My guess is that because your system isn't used to it, it's giving you a primo 'lube' job. I would cut back by half on what you're taking and see how you fare with that. Good luck.

As a note, even nuts should be refrigerated to prevent the oils in them going rancid.

DebbyM - I'm embarrassed to say I've been using flax seeds for 10 years now and never knew I should refrigerate the whole flax seeds too? I didn't know they would go rancid like ground flax seeds and oil. Thanks for the tip.

Blackraven
Old 14-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Skins_Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM

Thank you but where's the link?
Old 14-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Medium_Laura

Here are some links

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed

http://www.ehow.com/how_2138870_use-...ight-loss.html

# Keep it in the freezer. The best place to store ground flaxseed is the freezer. Freeze pre-ground flaxseed in the bag you bought it in, or in a plastic sealable bag if you ground it yourself. The freezer will keep the ground flax from oxidizing and losing its nutritional potency.

# Whole flaxseed keeps longer. The outside shell in whole flaxseed appears to keep the fatty acids inside well protected. It’s a good idea to keep your whole flaxseed in a dark, cool place until you grind it. But as long as it is dry and of good quality, whole flaxseed can be stored at room temperature for up to a year.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium_Laura
Here are some links

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed

http://www.ehow.com/how_2138870_use-...ight-loss.html

# Keep it in the freezer. The best place to store ground flaxseed is the freezer. Freeze pre-ground flaxseed in the bag you bought it in, or in a plastic sealable bag if you ground it yourself. The freezer will keep the ground flax from oxidizing and losing its nutritional potency.

# Whole flaxseed keeps longer. The outside shell in whole flaxseed appears to keep the fatty acids inside well protected. It’s a good idea to keep your whole flaxseed in a dark, cool place until you grind it. But as long as it is dry and of good quality, whole flaxseed can be stored at room temperature for up to a year.

Thanks ML for that useful information!

Blackraven
Old 14-08-2011, 05:02 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins_Princess
Thank you but where's the link?

I'm sorry, I do that all the time to my girls. I'm always getting emails back saying, "Mom, you did it again, where's the link". So here's the one I found. Luckily I bookmarked it for my own use. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=81

You know how they say we get more like our spouse the longer we're married. Well my husband never did have a good memory and the effect is finally getting to me I guess. So sorry.
Old 14-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Skins_Princess

Okay thanks for the link, very informative.
Old 15-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Master
I use chia seeds. I take one tablespoon twice a day. Cheaper as I buy in bulk. Have a long storage life. Same benefits as flax better fiber than just oil