Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 12-04-2020, 03:50 PM
Master
Nibbuta (from nir + v.r) is often treated as the past participle of the verb nibbaayati, and nibbaana is the nominal form of that verb. It means happiness, contentment, and peace. Nibbaayati also means to extinguish, to blow out as in the blowing out of a lamp.[2] Nibbana is so called because it is the blowing out of the fires of greed, hatred, and delusion (raagaggi, dosaggi, mohaggi) .[3] When these fires are blown out peace is attained, and one becomes completely cooled — siitibhuuta .[4] It is sometimes conjectured that Nibbana is called cool because the Buddha preached in a warm country, where the cool was appreciated as comfortable. Had he taught in a cold climate, he might have described Nibbana in terms of warmth. But it is certain that the term "cool" was chosen to convey a literal psychological reality.[5] Anger makes us hot and restless. We use expressions such as "boiling with anger," and they clearly express the intensity of the aggressive emotion. When such negative emotions are completely eradicated, never to arise again, the temperament has to be described as cool.

Nibbana is a state to be attained here and now in this very life[6] and not a state to be attained only after death. In terms of living experience Nibbana can be characterized by four special attributes: happiness, moral perfection, realization, and freedom. We shall take these up for discussion one by one.

Happiness
Nibbana is described as the highest happiness, the supreme state of bliss.[7] Those who have attained Nibbana live in utter bliss, free from hatred and mental illness amongst those who are hateful and mentally ill.

The experience of non-sensuous physical bliss for limited periods is possible even before the attainment of Nibbana through the practice of jhaana or meditative absorption. The Saamaññaphala Sutta describes these physical experiences with the help of eloquent similes.[9] When bath powder is kneaded with water into a neat wet ball, the moisture touches every part of the ball but does not ooze out; similarly, the body of the adept in the first jhaana is drenched and suffused with joy and pleasure born of detachment from sense pleasures (vivekaja.m piitisukha.m). The experience in the second jhaana is elucidated with a different simile. A deep pool filled to the brim with clear cool water is fed by underground springs, yet the waters do not overflow and no part of the pool remains untouched by the cool waters. Similarly joy and pleasure born of concentration (samaadhija.m piitisukha.m) pervade the body of the meditator in the second jhaana. The simile for the third jhaana is a lotus born in water, grown in water, fully submerged in water, and drawing nourishment from water, with no part of the lotus remaining untouched by the cool water. Thus happiness/pleasure suffuses, drenches, and permeates the entire body of the adept in the third jhaana

Here we are reminded of the statement that all mental states converge on feelings.[15] What is meant by this statement seems to be that all mental states are translated into sensations in the body. It is possible to understand the import of this statement if we pay attention to a gross emotion, such as anger. When we are angry we experience a variety of bodily sensations: feeling hot, being restless, breaking out in a sweat, trepidation, etc. When we are sad, tears come into our eyes. These are brought about by changes in body chemistry through the discharge of various glandular secretions. If intense emotions bring about such gross sensations, we might conjecture that all thoughts cause subtle sensations in the body resulting from changes in body chemistry. We are hardly aware of these sensations which, however, become noticeable with the development of vedanaanupassanaa, contemplation of sensations. Thoughts are endless and continuous; therefore, if this interpretation that thoughts are translated into sensations is correct, sensations too should be endless and continuous

An arahant has full control over his thoughts;[17] therefore he must have full control over his feelings/sensations too. What is meant by the statement that "a monk lives desireless and at peace by the destruction of all feelings/sensations" seems to be that he has destroyed all psychogenic feelings/sensations. This leads us to another statement: that all feelings/sensations partake of the nature of suffering.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/.../wheel407.html

I have been saying all this.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:57 PM
Master
Moral Perfection
Nibbana is a state of moral perfection. For one who has attained Nibbana, all unwholesome motivational roots such as greed, hatred, and delusion have been fully eradicated with no possibility of their ever becoming active again. Therefore Nibbana is called the destruction of greed, hatred and delusion (raagakkhaya, dosakkhaya, mohakkhaya). All inflowing moral depravities are destroyed, hence the epithet aasavakkhaya for Nibbana. Craving has been uprooted for good, therefore ta.nhakkhaya is another synonym. All types of conceit, the superiority and the inferiority complex plus the complex of equality (seyyamaana, hiinamaana, and sadisamaana), are eliminated. This necessarily has to be so as an arahant has no egoistic delusions such as I and mine. Just as much as an arahant has transcended egoism, he has transcended sexuality too.

The Uddesavibha"nga Sutta explains the nature of consciousness and the general cognitive attitude of an arahant:[41]

The consciousness of an arahant is not scattered and diffused in the external world (bahiddhaa vi~n~naa.na.m avikkhitta.m avisa.ta.m) ; this becomes possible because he does not indulge in the enjoyment of sense objects.
His consciousness is not established within (ajjhatta.m asa.n.thi.ta.m): this is possible because he does not become attached to the enjoyment of the jhaanas.
He remains unagitated without grasping (anupaadaaya na paritassati): this means that he does not identify himself with any of the five aggregates or personality factors.

Freedom
All bonds which tie us down to suffering are torn asunder; thus Nibbana is called sa.myojanakkhaya .[46] As the arahant has complete mastery over his thoughts (cetovasippatta),[47] no recurring unhealthy thoughts obsess him. Negative emotions restrict an individual's psychological freedom; therefore greed, hatred, and ignorance are described as pamaa.nakara.na, i.e. they circumscribe an individual's freedom.[48] Greed, hatred, and ignorance are roots of unwholesome mental states which fetter the individual within sa.msaara.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Master
If nothing else, read and learn what is possible.

Don’t limit yourself.

It is possible, it may not be easy or fast but it is possible!
Old 12-04-2020, 05:02 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
You realize Zhuangzi was Daoist?

Do not seek fame. Do not make plans. Do not be absorbed by activities. Do not think that you know. Be aware of all that is and dwell in the infinite. Wander where there is no path. Be all that heaven gave you, but act as though you have received nothing. Be empty, that is all.

Your quote refers to dwelling in the infinite... not about not doing practices to get there.

Thanks for finding that. I got my little version in a twitter post I saw and so I didn't know there was more to it. To me, that quote is describing the practice.

Do not seek fame. - Don't believe yourself important or special. Higher or more than others.

Do not make plans. - Don't seek anything in the future. Focus on the here and now only.

Do not be absorbed by activities. - Focus on your state of mind, not on what you are doing. Stay centered in peace with no self caused conflict within or without.

Do not think that you know. - Recognize and understand statements, opinions, thoughts, ideas, all verbal or word based things are distractions to being aware of now how it is before we add to it. To be here and now fully with total awareness means to learn to not let the attention be captured by mental phenomena.

Be aware of all that is and dwell in the infinite. - There is infinite space here and now when we are free of our conditioning and mental interpretation. It can be our experience.

Wander where there is no path. - Only now, free of all mental interpretation, aware of no conflict within and without (silence). All religion, masters, point to this. The path is well defined, locked as one way, but in that strict awareness and devotion to this true way to be, is total freedom without boundaries.

Be all that heaven gave you. - Discover what we are, what we exist as, what we are created to be, this kind, unconditioned, loving, compassionate, non-judgmental being.

Act as though you have received nothing. - We receive through giving, helping, acting unselfishly. We carry nothing but what we are.

Be empty, that is all. - There is nothing to do. just something to let be.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:52 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
I am speaking from the path of transformation and purification which is in all traditions.

Books and learning is considered a good thing, realization is even more important.

What do you consider non dual because nobody has ever considered bliss or silence as non dual except you.

doesn't matter who says it. what matters is the truth. although off the top of my head cant think of any gurus whom have power from that calling it anything other than non dual. f it is not in opposition of anything. nowhere that it is not. thats about as non dual as it gets. with one caveat. one must be in that expereince to know this as realization. you claim to not know this. also claim that its in opposition to personality types you deem not suitable to the divine.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 12-04-2020, 07:02 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Witness is just silence in daily life or in meditation. Far from anything.

They get open by removing the strong emotions that block them.

Ego is the identification with a self. Again this is basic spirituality.

when the second chakra clears one may experiences strong emotions. when in the process strong emotions may be a block to the bliss and silence. the second chakra needs to be open. then all is one and makes no difference whatsoever.

if identifying with ones self as in identity is a block. more work needs to be done in the crown. then all is one and makes no difference whatsoever.

Wherever I May Roam
Old 13-04-2020, 01:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
doesn't matter who says it. what matters is the truth. although off the top of my head cant think of any gurus whom have power from that calling it anything other than non dual. f it is not in opposition of anything. nowhere that it is not. thats about as non dual as it gets. with one caveat. one must be in that expereince to know this as realization. you claim to not know this. also claim that its in opposition to personality types you deem not suitable to the divine.

I know a couple of beings who have realized it.

You don't, so you don't believe anything..

Also, when did I go into personality types?

Not all realized beings are nice people all the time...
Old 13-04-2020, 01:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
when the second chakra clears one may experiences strong emotions. when in the process strong emotions may be a block to the bliss and silence. the second chakra needs to be open. then all is one and makes no difference whatsoever.

if identifying with ones self as in identity is a block. more work needs to be done in the crown. then all is one and makes no difference whatsoever.

Even when they are all opened and they unify.. there is still clearing of issues. Clarity is ongoing..
Old 13-04-2020, 01:55 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
I know a couple of beings who have realized it.

You don't, so you don't believe anything..

Also, when did I go into personality types?

Not all realized beings are nice people all the time...

i only speak from experience. speaking from realization. bliss and silence has been permemant for more than a decade.

any chance you have to use your cut and paste rather than speak from experience, or come up with how somebody is like this, or how somebody is like that, therefore not suitable for the divine. strong personalitys versus weak ones and so on.over and over. enough to wonder what it is you know when you speak of little to nothing from yourself of actual experience. yet go on every chance you can about things that have nothing to do with it. preferences. emotions. as if someone's personality is on trial. and you are literaly playing the judge. it has nothing to do with bliss and silence.

Wherever I May Roam
Old 13-04-2020, 01:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
Thanks for finding that. I got my little version in a twitter post I saw and so I didn't know there was more to it. To me, that quote is describing the practice.

To me it is saying much more than a practice.

Quote:
Do not seek fame. - Don't believe yourself important or special. Higher or more than others.

This is about ego.. attachments..

Quote:
Do not make plans. - Don't seek anything in the future. Focus on the here and now only.

Agree, this is about being present in the moment.

Quote:
Do not be absorbed by activities. - Focus on your state of mind, not on what you are doing. Stay centered in peace with no self caused conflict within or without.

Again, reminding you to stay present.

Quote:
Do not think that you know. - Recognize and understand statements, opinions, thoughts, ideas, all verbal or word based things are distractions to being aware of now how it is before we add to it. To be here and now fully with total awareness means to learn to not let the attention be captured by mental phenomena.

True realization is much different than you think. Don't get caught up with an idea of how it will be like... again.. look above to the attachments, activities, warning.

Quote:
Be aware of all that is and dwell in the infinite. - There is infinite space here and now when we are free of our conditioning and mental interpretation. It can be our experience.

This is very important and shows a difference between Taoism and Buddhism.

Being aware of all that is, is a reference to oneness. One has the clarity of mind to be one with all of it and at the same time dwell in the infinite that is emptiness/Tao.. They are one and the same...

Quote:
Wander where there is no path. - Only now, free of all mental interpretation, aware of no conflict within and without (silence). All religion, masters, point to this. The path is well defined, locked as one way, but in that strict awareness and devotion to this true way to be, is total freedom without boundaries.

Stay within that realization of the Tao.

Quote:
Be all that heaven gave you. - Discover what we are, what we exist as, what we are created to be, this kind, unconditioned, loving, compassionate, non-judgmental being.

One is the stream of the Universe, all that is and all it's potential. Realize you are that.

Quote:
Act as though you have received nothing. - We receive through giving, helping, acting unselfishly. We carry nothing but what we are.

With such power and abilities one is reminded to just be. The TTC reminded one that a tailor cuts little. Let heaven be the guide.

Quote:
Be empty, that is all. - There is nothing to do. just something to let be.

Always be the Tao, return to emptiness and let it's infinite potential flow.