Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 01-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Seriously? Here is a youtube video for you to watch. http://youtu.be/mryiO-jR_94

The video seems uninformative in any practical way.

Quote:
Next, I AM is a mantra. The fact that you will debate me on this shows just how stubborn you are. OPEN UP!!

Here is the first lesson on meditation from the AYP website that goes over the mantra I AM and how to use it. http://www.aypsite.org/13.html
Please read this.

It said "Unable to Connect"

Quote:
Please show me in any literature where it shows that mindfulness or observing automatically brings ones awareness back to the breath without effort.

I didn't learn that from a book.

Quote:
Please show me in any literature where it states that observing creates an ongoing vibration of energy?

There is an ongoing vibration of energy. Observation technique does not create it or attempt to affect it.

Quote:
I have posted once, once at someones request for guided meditation a link that cost money. Everything else I have ever posted is related to a system and I try to recommend the free ones.

Quote:
Why are we having this debate? Because someone starting putting down a system i.e the topic of this thread without knowing anything about the system. Please refer to your above post on assuming.

Not to be mean but starting on page 1:

Well it's true that TM courses are very expensive, and also true that I keep clear of it because it's a material persuit. That's not to say it's a futile persuit. There's benefit to it.

Quote:
This is wrong of course.

Again the candle is used as a point of focus, as a tool to silence the mind. Please refer to the Renowned Dzogchen practictioner B. Alan Wallace
The Buddhist Tradition of Samatha: Methods for Refining and Examining Consciousness

Now understand that Samatha is a beginning practice that prepares one for Mahamudra. Yes I have posted links to mahamudra :)

A candle is basically a focus point. Breath is a focus point too, but there's more to it as well.

The article starts by speaking of visualising a mental object, and that means conjuring the imagination, and hence, it's not an observation techique. Still a good technique. Toward the end it becomes an observation technique.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Like Tanemon, I practice TM and have done for about 35 years. It is a highly beneficial practice. It does use a mantra but a silent one

So as I understand it, one just imagines the mantra sound, and doesn't say it aloud

Quote:
to achieve the Quiet Mind and still the endless chatter of the "monkey brain". Long-term studies have shown permanent changes in brainwave patterns i.e. cohesion.
Cost depends on income ! Clearly, most of the writers in this thread are working on the basis of hearsay.

OK, I've just seen them advertised at a large cost. I didn't know they were means tested.

Quote:
I am of the Cunning Folk and shamanic practices form part of that - Journeys in Spirit to seek guidance from the ancestors. TM is an essential part of that for me. Others may use chanting, drumming, dance, or pychedelics, etc to achieve the shamanic state but meditation can achieve the same ends.

Farout!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Cost depends on income ! Clearly, most of the writers in this thread are working on the basis of hearsay.

Yeah, and it's still ridiculously expensive. Again, for the people who can afford it, it seems like it works, so great. But the very idea that I have to be able to save up or get a scholarship, in order to get spiritual access, is a little off-putting. I'm very appreciative of the many people on the internet (this website included), who have put information about various forms of meditation online, for free.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Master
Quote:
The video seems uninformative in any practical way.

It is about the history of TM.

Quote:
It said "Unable to Connect"

Try again.

Quote:
I didn't learn that from a book.

I can tell

Quote:
There is an ongoing vibration of energy. Observation technique does not create it or attempt to affect it.

Prove it

Quote:
Well it's true that TM courses are very expensive, and also true that I keep clear of it because it's a material persuit. That's not to say it's a futile persuit. There's benefit to it.

Thank you for changing your mind.

Quote:
A candle is basically a focus point. Breath is a focus point too, but there's more to it as well.

Again thank you for changing your mind and agreeing with me.

Quote:
The article starts by speaking of visualising a mental object, and that means conjuring the imagination, and hence, it's not an observation techique. Still a good technique. Toward the end it becomes an observation technique.

It is the definative method of staring at a candle. It is called Calm Abiding, Shine with Object or Samatha.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
It is about the history of TM.

Try again.

I can tell

It's the experience.

Quote:
Prove it

It's an observation, and the proof is in the pudding.

Quote:
Thank you for changing your mind.

Again thank you for changing your mind and agreeing with me.

It is the definative method of staring at a candle. It is called Calm Abiding, Shine with Object or Samatha.

Call it anything. The nature of it is as it is.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Pathfinder

I don't know...

They keep bugging me once I joined their meetup group. Almost every day or every other.

I know they have fees up to and more than $1k, and an insistance on one on one coaching/assisting, and they are proprietary on their methods.

Seems kind of closed off. But it has a lot of celebrities backing it like Howard Stern, Seinfeld, Ellen, the Twin Peaks creator etc.