Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 22-08-2021, 10:05 AM
Deactivated Account
Arrow Three in the morning

Well, as good here as anywhere else.

There is a story by the Chinese sage Chuang Tzu which is often called "Three in the morning". It concerns monkeys.

The monkeys are fed by their keeper, who planned to give them three measures of chestnuts in the morning and four in the evening. The monkeys were unhappy about this, wanting instead four measures in the morning and three in the evening.

The keeper did not argue and complied with their request.

Like many stories (particularly of Chuang Tzu) this one can hold many meanings. In assigning our meanings we in effect judge ourselves, or maybe better put, we learn to know ourselves.

The monkeys were irrational? Is there more at work in Reality than "logic"?

Another offered this "meaning", that it is when we insist most firmly on everyone else being “reasonable” that we become, ourselves, unreasonable.

Me, I think we are all monkeys at times and our world is a much better place because of it.
Old 22-08-2021, 11:00 AM
Deactivated Account
My own introduction to "three in the morning" was via Thomas Merton, who offered a rather loose translation of many of Chuang Tzu's stories in his "The Way of Chuang Tzu".

I wouldn't know if they are "!oose" or not, but I'm told they are. Whatever, Merton said somewhere that the Chuang Tzu book was one of his favorites. Merton said that all of Chuang Tzu's teaching follows the principle of “three in the morning,” that it is at home on two levels:- "that of the divine and invisible Tao that has no name, and that of ordinary, simple, everyday existence."

Elsewhere Thomas Merton spoke again of the nature of Reality, this in another of his books, "Raids on the Unspeakable". That Reality, at heart, is not "logical" or "consistent". That such a "consistent" Reality would issue in a world of justice. Which often seems to be the world many want.

Merton saw Reality as being "inconsistent" and therefore was a Reality of grace, leaving room for mercy. He said that we could become obsessed with "justice" but not with mercy. Law is consistent, grace is inconsistent.
Old 22-08-2021, 02:13 PM
Master
Quote:
grace is inconsistent
From the minds standpoint, grace is inconsistent when evaluated on foundations of linear, fragmented logic. However from the view of spherical vision, grace is automatically magnetically drawn towards purity (a higher octave of love)
Old 22-08-2021, 05:55 PM
Master

Consistency

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
Law is consistent, grace is inconsistent.
In fact we can say otherwise also.
Every moment of life is a grace. Not all our mistakes are punished. Many go unscathed n forgiven generously.

However i wont view through this lense. Reality wears multiple hats for multiple people at multiple levels in multiple layers concurrently. As we really dont have the knowledge of all factors affecting mercy/justice and even when we know our capacity to evaluate them perfectly may be limited. Hence we may have perception of inconsistency.i would say reality is merciful n just in right measure with right people in right situations all the time / all the place.
Old 22-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Deactivated Account
As I see it Thomas Merton is seeking to speak of the fundamental nature of Reality. That Reality is not "consistent" in the sense of following the logic associated in our minds with "justice", tit for tat. Many things follow - that "reward" does not necessarily follow the grooming of ourselves on any particular path of spiritual attainment. Mercy and grace are of another order.
Old 22-08-2021, 06:54 PM
Master

Reality

With due respect to thomas merton , u n merciful graceful reality, i feel reality is perfectly consistently n persistently just also.

This is not to suggest we go n tell victims of tragedy that u deserved tragedy bcos of just reality. It is only for the people in tragedy to retrospect n introspect where they may have been wrong n resolve not to commit them again. Onlookers of people in tragedy must have empathy ,sympathy n possible help only following the graceful /merciful nature of reality.
Old 22-08-2021, 06:57 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
With due respect to thomas merton , u n merciful graceful reality, i feel reality is perfectly consistently n persistently just also.

This is not to suggest we go n tell victims of tragedy that u deserved tragedy bcos of just reality. It is only for the people in tragedy to retrospect n introspect where they may have been wrong n resolve not to commit them again. Onlookers of people in tragedy must have empathy ,sympathy n possible help only following the graceful /merciful nature of reality.

Enjoy your "justice".....
Old 22-08-2021, 07:00 PM
Deactivated Account
Arrow

Shinran's words:- "Amida saves even the good person, how much more the evil person."
Old 22-08-2021, 07:06 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH

This is not to suggest we go n tell victims of tragedy that u deserved tragedy bcos of just reality.

No, I should hope not.

Old 22-08-2021, 07:26 PM
Deactivated Account
Maybe others here could expound upon "mercy"?