Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 30-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Kamal

Parts of body hurt during yoga?

I went to my first yoga class today. During certain poses certain parts of my body would hurt, someone told me yoga isint supposed to hurt. Does this mean im doing the poses wrong or is my body simply not used to is? Is this normal?
Old 31-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
I went to my first yoga class today. During certain poses certain parts of my body would hurt, someone told me yoga isint supposed to hurt. Does this mean im doing the poses wrong or is my body simply not used to is? Is this normal?

Francesco - Being a former gymnast I can tell you that anytime you take up a new form of movement, strengthening and/or stretching of ligaments and muscles that you aren't used to, your body takes a little while to get used to the new exercise routine. I have taken only a few yoga classes myself, but my body hurt during some stretches and I was even more soar the next day. I would say that it is important to take yoga slow when starting out and not stretch to the maximum or too quickly if you are experiencing any pain. You can work up to deeper more challenging positions later. Just listen to your body and you will enjoy the experience much more. Yoga is an excellent form of exercise. Good choice.

Blackraven
Old 31-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Master
That's right. Anything your not used to exercise-wise s/b taken slow. If you happen to notice whenever someone puts out an exercise dvd, they'll often have three levels, beginner - intermediate - advanced so that beginners don't get carried away and helps demonstrate the PROPER way to start out something new. If you do get carried away and bring pain onto yourself for days to come, you're not going to be terribly motivated to continue, so it pays to take it easy at first. (Btw, I learned a 30-day program of yoga from a book in the mid-80's and practiced it regularly for years and I know it helped me tremendously to maintain extra flexibility etc.) Great stuff, yoga~*

Old 19-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Guide
My hand joints hurt during adho mukha svasana ("dog"), is this normal? I guess it's just they aren't used to supporting so much weight... dunno...
helpless against my immortality."

From "Savitri" by Sri Aurobindo
(The Book of Fate)