Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
Hi Greg,

What about eyes partially open/partially closed?

Or perhaps one eye open and one eye shut . . he hehe Or blink really quickly .

x daz x
Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 PM
DulcePoetica

I had a bit of difficulty when at a Buddhist center for meditation, the instructions taught to sit with eyes open. Since I participated in group meditation there, it was going to be pretty obvious if I closed them, so I went along. Also, we did chanting together and walking meditation, which must obviously be done with open eyes.

When alone I meditate with my eyes closed.

I find that both methods offer clarity. I could be off base, but the visions and understanding I got from fixed gaze meditation were about my outer reality. When I meditate with my eyes closed, it reveals more about my inner reality. I try to make time for meditating with my eyes open from time to time, but I agree it can be difficult.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Now I guess my spiritual beliefs would be a combination of Zen and general spirituality, i.e Deepak Chopra, Neale Donald Walsch, Paolo Cohelo etc.
The problem is with my Zen practice they do a meditation called Zazen which is eyes open, and I really don't like doing it. In Deepak Chopra books he suggest doing it eyes closed, which I really enjoy, but my Zen teachers tell me that I should never close my eyes. I don't know what to do.

Own your journey. This is YOUR path, not your teacher's, not Deepak Chopra's, YOUR'S. Meditate with your eyes closed if that's what you want to do. If your teacher says something, tell him you prefer to meditate with your eyes closed. If that is a problem for them, find a new teacher. NOONE can tell you what is right for you but you.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
My opinion.
Our 5 senses distract us continually since our first cry.
Whatever meditation name/ method one uses ---I believe one must ask themselves -
"What is my goal?"

If your goal is quieting the mind - why?
To find relaxation and peace? Good.
Is it to experience life more fully? Good.
Is it to find union with God? Good.
To be a kinder more gentle person? Good.

See what I mean?

(Sorry, peace is not an illusion - turmoil, pain, suffering are the illusions or traps.
I couldn't let that one slide...
Peace, love, joy, bliss are the Truth and our true state, which I bet you are after...)

Closing off the senses and going within is more what I have learned as meditation.
And, yes, walking meditation is wonderful especially once a deep connection
has been established...because again our senses distract us immensely from our 'Goal'.

My 2 cents.
Good luck, Miss Hepburn

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 07-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Ascender
Do whatever works for you. There's no "one size fits all" for meditation.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
Or perhaps one eye open and one eye shut . . he hehe Or blink really quickly .
LOL That would be interesting.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Pathfinder
While in group meditation, what we did was at first focus on a candle flame, after a little while as breathing slowed and focus sharpened we then closed our eyes half way and then gradually closed them for the duration. I found this is nice transition. Though, I agree, you need to meditate the way you feel comfortable, and in time that could change.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:30 PM
unus supra

I think one of the may concerns, particular if someone hasnt meditated much, is that of sleeping or sleepiness. It is vital to keep the mind sharp during meditation, sluggishness is counter productive.

However, it may not be for you in general, although i concur with Enyas statement that the very irritation itself, because of how pronounced it is in your experience may serve as an ideal object in and of itself.

good luck