Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 14-02-2011, 09:23 PM
star-child

Woaa I was literally just about to make a thread about increasing seratonin!

Here is some good stuff I found:

- All meditative activities raise serotonin levels.
Spend time in a natural place such as a forest, park, mountains, or seashore.

Prayer, meditation, positive visualization boost serotonin levels and your feelings of well being, relaxed concentration and peace.

Engage in low arousal, highly meditative and internal spiritual practices that relax you.

Try relaxing activities such as hobbies or crafts.

- Engage in exercise that increases your heart rate somewhat but not significantly.

Strolling, yoga, non-aerobic swimming, bike riding when done at least 4 days in a row a week will over a period of 60 days increase your baseline serotonin levels.

- Get out in the sun at least 30 minutes in the morning and for 2 hours throughout the day.

Sunlight burns off melatonin produced the night before. The presence of high levels of melatonin consumes serotonin. Sunlight suppressed the production of melatonin and allows your serotonin levels to rise during the day. Without the exposure to adequate natural light your melatonin levels will be higher and your serotonin levels will be lower.

from http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/...otonin-levels/
Old 14-02-2011, 09:32 PM
star-child

Just read through the previous replies! I had never heard of 5htp before but it sounds great. Does anyone know of any cheap suppliers in England which are credible? Just saw that they do it at Holland and Barrett for £15.79 but my budget is realllyy tight right now.
Old 14-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Kapitan_Prien

I used to take 5HTP. I also used to take Melatonin before I went to bed.
Old 14-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Master
Star child I've been doing all those things for about 6 weeks now...have to keep on going I think because I'm actually feeling more sad than I have in a while.
Spiritlite.
Old 14-02-2011, 11:22 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by star-child
Woaa I was literally just about to make a thread about increasing seratonin!

Here is some good stuff I found:

- All meditative activities raise serotonin levels.
Spend time in a natural place such as a forest, park, mountains, or seashore.

Prayer, meditation, positive visualization boost serotonin levels and your feelings of well being, relaxed concentration and peace.

Engage in low arousal, highly meditative and internal spiritual practices that relax you.

Try relaxing activities such as hobbies or crafts.

- Engage in exercise that increases your heart rate somewhat but not significantly.

Strolling, yoga, non-aerobic swimming, bike riding when done at least 4 days in a row a week will over a period of 60 days increase your baseline serotonin levels.

- Get out in the sun at least 30 minutes in the morning and for 2 hours throughout the day.

Sunlight burns off melatonin produced the night before. The presence of high levels of melatonin consumes serotonin. Sunlight suppressed the production of melatonin and allows your serotonin levels to rise during the day. Without the exposure to adequate natural light your melatonin levels will be higher and your serotonin levels will be lower.

from http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/...otonin-levels/

Wow star=child
This is great info! I am a nightowl and I have to be sure to get enough sunlight to keep me spiritually balanced. I sometime wear yellow jade when I feel my sunlight exposure is lacking.
nightowl
Old 26-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Knower

Valerian root can also be good for sleep. It helps to clear the mind and does not have any sedative side effects. Beware it has an awful odor which is normal.
Old 26-03-2011, 08:40 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingkind
Valerian root can also be good for sleep. It helps to clear the mind and does not have any sedative side effects. Beware it has an awful odor which is normal.

Valerian root tea works very well as a sleep aid and gets into the body rather quickly. You may have to plug your nose to get the cup up to your mouth (!!!) but the taste is actually quite pleasant.. just like ordinary Lipton's tea I found myself nodding in my chair within fifteen to twenty minutes of drinking it and even had trouble navigating down the hall to my bedroom, so sleepy was I!

Is valerian root a seratonin enhancer?? My friend gives it to her adult son, and she says he's less depressed and a happier camper when he takes it!
Old 26-03-2011, 08:41 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan_Prien
I used to take 5HTP. I also used to take Melatonin before I went to bed.

I tried the 5-HTP. It didn't work for me, tended to upset my stomach and constipate, plus was ridiculously expensive.....!!! Melatonin would get me sleepy, but did not KEEP me asleep. I was still waking up every two or three hours
Old 27-03-2011, 08:09 PM
DebbyM

I would think that the cherries would work. Maybe at a health food store or some kind of whole foods store, you could buy dried cherries to nibble on when cherries aren't in season.