Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 01-12-2023, 08:16 PM
Pathfinder

Do you think that people are exempt from being toxic just "because they're family?"

Hi everyone. This time of year really gets me thinking about this. In my case I have an aunt (my mother's sister in law.) She's super Catholic but in a zealous way. She tried to convert me. This is why I removed her from my life about 7 or 8 years ago.
I'll just keep the story short but I consider her toxic. I don't respond to any of her emails. Do you think just because she's family that exempts her from being toxic? In my opinion any relationship that requires you to compromise yourself isn't worth it. There may be people who say "Well sometimes you have to compromise." I personally don't agree though.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:11 AM
Seeker

You do not get to choose your family, but you do get to choose who associate with. Family does not get a pass, just because they are family. There are members of my family that I see on holidays only, and that is more than enough. There are a couple I do not want to see that often.

I think I am quicker to cut off family now because when I was younger I was forced to compromise - I realized I do not have to do that. My mental health, and my feelings, are more important than "keeping the peace" with toxic people.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:12 AM
Master

Hi. They absolutely do NOT get a free pass because they are family. We are dealing with a very toxic person in our family just now but she is an in law and not blood thank goodness and hopefully we will have her out of lives soon. I cannot even begin to describe what she has put my brother through with her lies and deceit to all of us.
There is NO excuse at all for this type of behaviour from anyone, let alone family.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:09 AM
Ascender

No one gets a pass on being toxic. Even family.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:34 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
No one gets a pass on being toxic. Even family.

I agree.

As a child, it is very difficult to accept this because you depend on your family.

That's why children from dysfunctional families always suffer.

We need to build a world that protects children from harm - but, we also need to create a better world that can help damaged adults.

I think I want to add one more thought - if you are a creature that always wants to see the good in other creatures then it can also be very painful to accept that some creature doesn't have empathy and compassion. Some people are born that way (I see them as handicapped) and therefore they can't help themselves, but you still have to protect yourself and others from their harm.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:51 AM
Master

ReturningM. Run as fast as you can and don’t look back.

In my opinion, you owe her nothing and she owes you nothing. You just happen to be born in to the same family. So what!
Old 02-12-2023, 10:22 AM
Administrator
I always say Friends are the people you pick yourself family are not

Namaste
Old 02-12-2023, 06:25 PM
Master
In my opinion “family” is much more than blood. Blood makes us related but trust and a connection makes us family. Maybe you are struggling with this because of your concept of “family.”

There are all sorts of families; step-family, blended family, extended family, same-sex family, foster family, etc., and our in-laws who are not blood related are also considered family by marriage.

Often I think of the human race as one big dysfunctional family. But in my opinion our true family are those we trust and feel connected to. Your aunt will most likely continue until someone confronts her.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:12 PM
Administrator
I have to agree with that

Namaste
Old 02-12-2023, 11:25 PM
Master
I don't know I can't I'm just one because the only time my dad's family speak to me is a funerals because they've got to say hello to me because if it's certain funeral directors doing a funeral there are nice to me but anyone else they don't know me any time I've got nobody in the dawn care the excuse says I've got nobody they don't want me to impart is Armin and bothers me to look at was my size or I've been pretty a beautiful look at because I don't reimbursed By Me by photos being disgusting and viled through a cut of only a realised I'm a nice person to me it's what inside the person that comes away my mom and dad brought me up
But the only time my dad said a family speak to me is a funerals and they were time they want nothing to tell me and that's a really upset my sister the way they treat me and I add my eyes opened up and that lot and my sister is right the army time is spoke to me it's a few and most and they were time they can't get away cook it for me but I think it's my psychic ability I've had since it was born they're scared in case I mentioned things because to it because spirit will give it things won't realize now give it off

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔