Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 PM
nightowl

Where did you begin?

A delightful aspect of this forum is the many different views and perspectives that are shared about God/Spirit and spiritual practices. As I read through the numerous threads of opinions and suggestions I find myself asking these questions;

How much of what we believe as an individual is pure belief based on our own experiences and how much is part of an already existing belief system or philosophy?

Did we begin our belief at experience and work out from there or did we begin our beliefs from within a system and proceed out from there?
Did we leave one system and embrace another? How much of what you believe is influenced by what we have read or studied how much is based on experience?

In these ever progressing times it is my opinion that there is no “pure religious” belief, one true way that is meant for all mankind. The search of the Divine is the one constant in the journey of a seeker; it will never be exactly the same for every person.

nightowl
Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Enya

Interesting questions! For me, it's always been about experience re-inforcing belief. In my teens, I didn't believe in the white-haired God on a throne I'd been taught about. It took a young religious studies instructor and some discussion about war, death and other stuff which convinced me there *was* a god. It's taken direct encounters to build on this belief, which remains fluid in my life as experiences and study inform it. I try to keep my beliefs flexible.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
A delightful aspect of this forum is the many different views and perspectives that are shared about God/Spirit and spiritual practices. As I read through the numerous threads of opinions and suggestions I find myself asking these questions;

How much of what we believe as an individual is pure belief based on our own experiences and how much is part of an already existing belief system or philosophy?

Did we begin our belief at experience and work out from there or did we begin our beliefs from within a system and proceed out from there?
Did we leave one system and embrace another? How much of what you believe is influenced by what we have read or studied how much is based on experience?

In these ever progressing times it is my opinion that there is no “pure religious” belief, one true way that is meant for all mankind. The search of the Divine is the one constant in the journey of a seeker; it will never be exactly the same for every person.

nightowl

Hi nightowl .

Where did I begin .

Of course you will mean within our present Incarnation but for me and as for others the journey has been ongoing from our first so called steps of experiencing what we are within consciousness .

I can see benefits for an Individual to be able to access certain understandings / knowledge In regards to a variety of spiritual aspects but It wasn’t like that for me . From the moment I had an Inner calling all that Is required was within me so to speak. I think It works well for me this way because I am not an Intellect I have never felt drawn to books or studying anything . I would say If you are a deeply Intellectual person you need to satisfy the Intellect before you can endeavour on the spiritual quest . Much of what Is experienced Is beyond the Intellect so It can work against you . Perhaps an Individual that has a logical explanation for everything will block the realizations of what they are from arising through their nature of objectiveness .

Within the self enquiry process and via daily practice of yoga and meditation the realizations came to the fore . That Is why I mention the journey Is most Important and not to read the realizations of another and then speak of there Is no-one present there Is no self there Is no God or whatever .

After 10 years of keeping myself to myself I came across a book and resonated with It regarding my experiences had . I picked up another book that’s now (two books nearly read) In 15 years lol and the master explains not to read . In fact he expressed his wishes for the enquirer to put the book down and do not listen to what he say’s . Go and find It all out for yourselves he said .

It’s a bit Ironic though that he wrote a few books with the Intention that he didn’t want people to read them tho . he hehe . But I understand the meaning behind what he said .

I don't read anymore unless I have to research something .

x daz x