Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 19-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Knower
Songs for the Soul, Session 01 (JB)

For quite a few years music has been my only effective "spiritual therapy." One quiet afternoon in June 2015, I was getting some of that much needed therapy. After I had finished listening to a particular classical piece by the eclectic California Guitar Trio (an exception, since I'm not usually into classical), I searched YouTube to see if the group had any new videos. I soon saw a "suggested video" in the right-hand column, showing a woman performing that same complex classical piece on another instrument. I wondered how on earth anyone could play that piece on that instrument. So clicked it. Within a minute I was awestruck, speechless, mesmerized. I was even more so when the Fugue began. I couldn't get enough of watching the sincere emotions and intense concentration on her face as she plays. I couldn't get enough of watching her fingers and arms as they perform their flawless ballet moves. Equally as important, I suddenly couldn't get enough of that song. I had fallen in love with it. I had never realized how moving and inspirational it can be for me when performed by an individual or small group instead of a large orchestra.

Without further ado:

Amy Turk, harp - Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - BWV 565 (J.S. Bach)

Transcribed and performed by Amy Turk;
Filmed for acoustical purposes in St. John the Evangelist, Wotton, Surrey, UK.

P.S. Here are just a handful of the (presently) 2,572 comments on that video:
*These days I´m under a big stress. This beautiful interpretation helped me healing my soul. Thank you very much.
*Brilliant. This is the kind of performance that stays with the listener for days. I'm so much in awe that I'm starting to cry. Thanks Amy.
*Only a harp sound that will make you feel like in heaven even if you're in hell.
*Music is definitely not only an art of sound, but also visual!
*It's like your hands are dancing with each other on the strings, you are beautiful and you play so passionately.
*Amazing! Never in a million years would I have thought of the Toccata and Fugue in D minor as playable on the harp. Yet here it is...
*I started watching this video, to see how awkward it is. "Come on, it is only a harp, you cannot play a sophisticated piece such as this toccata and fugue on a harp!" But I was wrong, I'm stunned, amazed. This is just fantastic.
*This is simply amazing. I would have never guessed this piece could be translated so well onto an instrument like a harp, and yet all the passion and intensity was still there. And I love watching her face as she feels the music. I think my facial expressions were mimicking hers. I would love to hear this in person.
*When I saw Toccata and Fugue... on the HARP... I raised a skeptical eyebrow. [...] But... Sheer delight! The delicate melodies come ever more sweetly to life, often leaving me moved to tears. […] Utterly wonderful! THANK you, Amy, for this life-changing performance!
*Tears started to stream down to my cheeks when fugue begun...