Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Energy Work

Old 08-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Augadelume

Question on Energy work

hello everyone I am new and am looking on how to get started with energy work with the Basics and teaching myself as I don't have a teacher any advice books or anything will help me I don't know where to start looking thank in advance for all the help you all offer
Old 09-12-2014, 05:20 PM
flow.alignment

There are many ways that you can work with energy.

What are you hoping to achieve or what most interests you?

Health?
Of self?
Assisting others in their healing?
Maintaining health or healing an existing condition?

Manifesting?
(Attracting things into your life?)

Experiencing higher states of consciousness?
Working with emotions?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Augadelume

honestly all of it I want to be able to not only help myself but also help others as much I possibly can
Old 09-12-2014, 08:43 PM
flow.alignment

Working with energy is a pretty deep field and you can study full-time on some aspects for years, such as for health/healing (there are many different ways of working energy for healing) and for higher consciousness.

I find the field really interesting, so have studied pretty broadly:
  • Working with life force energy for maintaining health through qigong
  • Working with energy to experience higher states of consciousness through the chakras and other energy systems not as well known.
Each of these also takes time to practice, so you'll need to consider how much time you want to spend each day. Assuming you are limited on time, it would help you to (eventually, once you've seen what most interests you) come up with a focus.

I'll describe a bit about what I do.

Health
I currently practice Zhan Zhuang ("standing") qigong (also spelled chi kung, chi gong, chi gung) for maintaining physical health and vitality. This is Chinese energywork that focuses on working with life force energy (qi or chi) and the system of energy pathways that it flows through in the body (meridians). Qigong is concerned with increasing your amount of qi and clearing blockages in meridians. Low qi flow and blockages in meridians can eventually result in disease, so increasing the amount of qi and keeping meridians clear can increase energy levels and prevent diseases.

There are many different types of qigong. Some involve physical movements, others are mostly done in meditation, others use a combination. The type I do involves standing and holding a physical posture that promotes a certain type of energy flow. Over time, qi naturally builds and, as if circulates, it clears blockages (or keeps them from forming).

One thing to know about qigong, though, is that it usually takes consistent practice over several weeks (about 3 months at 15 to 20 mins a day) before you experience results. This is because the energy that qigong works with is "dense" (closer to the frequency of the physical body) and is slow to accumulate.

Assisting others in their healing:
Qigong can also be used to assist others in healing (through clearing blockages and transferring qi from oneself to others), though that isn't something I have experience in.

Reiki is a form of energywork in which you act as a conduit for life force to flow through (from the universe, through you, to the person you are assisting). I studied this many years ago, but don't currently practice it.

Experiencing higher states of consciousness
This area is my main interest. It is also very deep and there are many ways you can go about it.

There are two energy systems I work with - the chakras and the "light body."

The chakras are a series of 7 energy centers that run from the base of your spine to the top of your head. Different chakras affect different aspects of your consciousness (such as creative expression, ability to experience love, receive guidance from the higher realms, sensitivity to energy, etc.).

Like qigong, there are many ways you can work with them. The Indian system of yoga has the most established teachings on working with chakras. You can hold physical postures (hatha yoga), use breathing techniques (pranayama), do certain types of physical exercises, use visualization, etc.

There's no one "right way" - see what resonates and experiment to see what works best for you.

Two techniques I've gotten the best results from are (note, what was "best" for me, might not be as effective for others) :
  1. "The Five Tibetan Rites" (also known as "The Five Rites" or "The Five Tibetans")
  2. Connecting with my Soul/Higher Self and working with it to stimulate my chakras

"The 5 Tibetans" are a series of 5 moving exercises that I learned from the book "The Five Tibetans" by Christopher Kilham (you can find instructions for how to do them online, though).

I learned the process for using a soul connection to work with chakras through Sanaya Roman's book, "Soul Love." This book teaches working with 3 chakras (third, fourth, and seventh chakras - solar plexus, heart, and crown) to expand one's ability to love and experience divine love. It also teaches a technique for working with emotions as energy (lifting negative emotional energy from the solar plexus into the heart) that I've found very helpful. The underlying technique can be used for any chakra (I've used it to also work with my fifth and sixth chakras).

The other energy system is the "light body" as taught through the channeled audio course, "Awakening Your Light Body" by the guides DaBen and Orin (Orin is the guide who channeled the book "Soul Love").

Note that the term "light body" is pretty generic, so Googling that will bring up all sorts of results - some of which might relate to energy centers in this course, some might not (they could be referring to other centers that they call the same thing).

Your mind and emotions exist as energy fields in and around your physical body. The centers taught in this course bring greater harmony to the these fields. Working with the centers can also greatly expand your sensitivity to subtle energies, ability to work with them, and experience higher states of consciousness.

I'm not able to teach the centers from this course, but can share my experiences and answer questions about it.

General comments on working with energy

An early hurdle is believing what you are doing with your energywork is real.

One reason is because you perceive energy through your inner senses and if you aren't used to observing your inner experiences, you may have a difficult time discerning between "pink elephants" (images that might spontaneously pop into your mind), emotions, and energy you are sensing.

Another reason is, when you first work with energy centers (if your energywork deals with those), they are often undeveloped, so the sensations from them are weak. With practice, though, they will become strong and you will experience them as being as real as any emotion.

Energy follows intent.

This makes working with energy both easy and difficult. Easy, in that "doing something" with energy is as easy as imagining/visualizing or pretending it. Difficult, in that most people don't believe imagining/visualizing/pretending something has any real effect, so you may doubt what you are doing is working.

If this is an issue, I suggest taking small steps - doing simple processes (such as the Soul Love technique) and observing the feedback/results. Over time, you will develop confidence.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 PM
flow.alignment

I should have mentioned - while the 5 Tibetan exercises are believed to deal with the chakras, they appear (to me) to have more of an impact improving health and vitality than expanding consciousness.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Augadelume

Working with life force energy for maintaining health through qigong
Working with energy to experience higher states of consciousness through the chakras and other energy systems not as well known

these are what I was looking for
Old 09-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Augadelume

also I am interested in Reiki as well
Old 10-12-2014, 01:01 AM
flow.alignment

QIGONG
If you want to try qigong, you might want to experiment with a few different types of exercises to see what you enjoy most.

To do the type of qigong I practice (standing)...
Google "the way of energy google books" (a number of pages from the book, "The Way of Energy" by Lam Kam Chuen is on Google Books and should end up as being one of the top results from that search) - I'd give the link but can't post URLs until I've made 15 posts.
  1. Do the warmup on page 26
  2. Stand in "Wu Chi" for 2 to 5 mins (page 31)
  3. Stand in "Holding the Balloon" (page 34) for 3 to 20 mins OR "Holding your Belly (page 84) for 3 to 20 mins
  4. Return to "Wu Chi" for 2 to 5 mins

Start with low times and work your way up.
You can stand for longer than 20 mins, if you like.

This does everything in one simple exercise (automatically clears blockages and builds energy), increases your physical strength, and is safe for beginners.

At first, it might be quite physically and mentally demanding. To get over the mental hurdle, it can help to keep your mind occupied by watching TV or listening to something. While it will be more effective if you close your eyes, quiet your mind, and monitor your breathing and posture, the start of practicing can be tough and using a distraction can help you get through it.

If you want to do some reading on other types of qigong or learn some moving or meditative exercises, have a look at "The Art of Chi Kung" by Wong Kiew Kit (I like the "Lifting the Sky" + "Carrying the Moon" + Induced Chi Flow exercises from that book).

If you try different types of qigong, be careful, as it is possible to injure yourself through incorrect practice (this applies more to forms of qigong in which you try to actively direct energy). Because of this, it is recommended that you learn these types through a teacher.

THE FIVE TIBETANS
If you want a moving exercise for health, I'd recommend the Five Tibetan Rites.

To see a video of them being practiced, search YouTube for "the five tibetans costa rica"

For written descriptions, search wikipedia for "five tibetan rites"

Breathing isn't described for Rite #2 (video)- inhale as you lift your legs, exhale as you lower them.

For Rite #3 (video), follow the instructions in Wikipedia (first position is leaning forward as far as possible with your chin against your chest) over what's shown in the video.

REIKI
You'll need a teacher to learn this. The teacher will clear energy pathways in your body (which allow you to channel energy through your hands) through a process called an attunement. They will teach you where to place your hands when giving a treatment and "symbols" to use that help you to focus the energy.

CHAKRAS (SOUL LOVE PROCESS)
If you boil the "Soul Love" process down to the essentials, it is extremely simple.

Step 1
Sit in a comfortable position, relax, close your eyes, and take a few deep breaths.

Step 2
"Tune into" the part of yourself that exists in the higher dimensions (to me, it feels like I'm inwardly "reaching upward"). Don't make this hard. Your intent/desire is all that's needed to make this connection. If you want something to focus on, you can think the words "higher self" or "my soul" or something similar as you "tune in."

While your soul is a part of you, for the purpose of this step, imagine it as a being of light with a radiant jewel of light in its center.

Your fourth chakra, your heart center, in the center of your chest can also be imagined as a jewel.

Imagine your soul gently descending through the top of your head, with its jewel moving through your body until it is aligned with and surrounds your heart center's jewel. You might sense a "click" when the alignment is complete.

You might ask/wonder, "Why go through this visualization? Your soul isn't really separate and it isn't really moving through your body." This is an example of using visualization, symbols, and intent to work with energy and connect with a higher aspect of yourself. Doing this focuses your intent and makes the process more tangible, making it an event that can intensify and take place over a period of time (as your soul's jewel descends through your body and aligns with your heart center).

Stopping here - doing this, by itself, and just experiencing being blended with your soul's energy can be a powerful meditation.

Step 3
Observe as your soul stimulates your heart center.

When you work with energy centers, you can have different levels of focus.

You can simply observe a center - this by itself stimulates the center because energy follows your focus.

You can observe with a gentle underlying expectation of something happening - this is what you're doing in this step. Your expectation sets the action/event into motion. You are not trying to make something happen when you do this - you are letting your soul do the work.

You can actively visualize something happening (Step 2 was an example of this, the way I described it, though you could also have lightly observed it happening too). This is also what most "traditional" chakra meditations do (visualizing colored light in each chakra)

Step 4
Inhale and observe as your soul sends energy from your heart center into your crown chakra at the top of your head.

Step 5
Observe as your soul stimulates your crown center.

If you want to stimulate a different chakra from your crown center, you could have changed Step 4 to observe as your soul sends energy to the other center (perhaps exhaling if you're sending energy to the first, second, or third chakra) and Step 5 to observe your soul stimulating the center.

If all you want to do is stimulate a specific chakra, you can stop here.

I'll continue to describe the rest of the Soul Love process, though.

Background on Solar Plexus Center
The third chakra (in the next step) is seat of your emotions and can be seen as a bright point of light in your abdomen. You experience your own emotions and may also be able to experience other people's emotions through this center. Within this bright point is also a dim, hidden awakening point. When it is stimulated, you experience it as an increased desire to love. This hidden point is what you'll be focusing on.

Step 6
Exhale and observe as your soul sends its will to love from your crown chakra to your the hidden point of your solar plexus (third) chakra.

Step 7
Observe as your soul stimulates your third chakra's hidden point.

Step 8
If you are feeling negative emotion (experienced through the bright point), observe as the hidden point absorbs the negative emotional energy from the bright point.

You might experience this as both feeling the negative emotion and also feeling a desire to love the emotion at the same time.

If you don't feel a negative emotion, you can skip Step 8.

Step 9
Inhale and lift the energy of the negative emotion from your hidden point into your heart center. (Or just lift energy from your hidden point, if you aren't experiencing negative emotion.)

Your heart center can be seen as a small Sun that dissipates the negativity of the emotion and uses the energy to further awaken itself.

This is a step that you do with your intent (you don't observe your soul moving the energy).

You can imagine energy rising, visualizing it in different ways, whatever works for you. I just focus my attention on my heart center and lift the energy as I inhale into my upper chest - almost like pulling the energy up through a straw.

Once you get the hang of this, it is one of the most powerful processes I know for handling negative emotions. If you feel strong negative emotion, you can repeat the step over and over again until the negative emotion is gone - lift the energy with every inhale.

This is also a great exercise in learning how to work with energy because it provides tangible feedback - when it's happening, you'll be able to feel the energy rising from your solar plexus into your heart and experience a decrease in negative feelings. When you first learn this, you may or may not sense your centers or the energy moving. With practice you sense it and it can sometimes be very intense.

If you want to continue, return to Step 3 and repeat the process. After doing it a few more times, you can imagine light coming into your crown center in Step 5 and being circulated through your centers as you continue.

If you want to learn more about the process, the Soul Love book goes into more detail (and gives much more elaborate visualizations), including giving info about working on relationships, soul linking, and radiating love.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Pathfinder

Start of and get a feel and sense of energy.....energy that flows through your interactions will be percieved through your frequency or vibrations.

Energy binds with our interactions and perceptions basically.
To shortcut u and experience how it flows and how u can inrteract with it consciously...you can use geometric forms.

Geometric forms contain blueprints that energy binds to..that blueprint inside that form contains what manifests into being.

Start of simplistic were u visualize a particular geometric form within youself and see what happens.

Try this first before i mention the next step were u will definetly experience energy on a larger scale.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Augadelume

thank you both I will be practicing and looking up what I need to that you both have suggested this helps me a lot thank you both so much!!!!