Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Master
Self-sabotaging and self-punishment

Do you believe one can do these things without even realizing it, due to conditioning? How do you stop?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Master
Yes... these kinds of negative patterns are usually unconscious. As one becomes more aware of them the process of healing and change has begun.

You can change patterns like these by looking more closely into the feelings underneath... like self-judgment and worthiness, imitating emotional patterns of parents, and so on.... then finding ways to let them heal and release into self-acceptance, self-valuing and self-love.

Xan

Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Master
I know as a child I had punished myself. I never thought too much about the sabotaging aspect until my adult life, and even so, first with weight...I would do very well, after childbirth for example, but then I would blow it, but one day I realized I was crying as I was doing so, as though to punish and sabotage. They seem like the same thing.

When things have been starting to go very well in my life, I find something in me changes. I feel a fear, I get anxious. Then I've ruined it. But I have to say not all the time, sometimes I just get upset and tired of taking the blame, but yet, i can't deal with the consequences, as though even if I don't punish myself, others will make me pay and I have to take the blame, even if it's not my fault, just to make peace.

God, I'm a sick @!%W#$
Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
I know as a child I had punished myself. I never thought too much about the sabotaging aspect until my adult life, and even so, first with weight...I would do very well, after childbirth for example, but then I would blow it, but one day I realized I was crying as I was doing so, as though to punish and sabotage. They seem like the same thing.

When things have been starting to go very well in my life, I find something in me changes. I feel a fear, I get anxious. Then I've ruined it. But I have to say not all the time, sometimes I just get upset and tired of taking the blame, but yet, i can't deal with the consequences, as though even if I don't punish myself, others will make me pay and I have to take the blame, even if it's not my fault, just to make peace.

God, I'm a sick @!%W#$

No, I know exactly how you feel (If I may say that)! Somehow, some of our life experiences bring on / heighten our insecurities, imo. And then sometimes it just gets over-inflated for some reason. I think the EFT would help me in situations like this. And just being really good and kind to one's self. It's not always easy to get ourselves on an even keel.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Master
I've tried the EFT stuff, but it never worked for me. I find myself thinking about that process too much and how much it annoys me lol.

Right now I have someone who is behaving extremely cold and withdrawn from me because I blew up yesterday. Everything just got too much. But I guess I shouldn't have done it, but I'm wondering if I did it on purpose because things were going well until it all went wrong lol. My fault as usual it all went wrong...
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Master
Ohhh, I've wrung my hands over a situation just like that recently - yeah...

And now, everything's pretty much back to normal. Which is to say, not perfect!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Enya

Self-sabotage and punishment are more common than you might believe and entirely unconscious... until you realise what's going on! Even then, it takes some hard work and determination to change the conditioning which creates such patterns. You might find some help in Caroline Myss's book 'Sacred Contracts' which lists and helps you determine some of the mental/emotional archtypes which drive us all. The Child, Victim, Saboteur and Prostitute are four types which everyone has. I also found some interesting insights when I did a simple websearch under 'Self-Sabotage'.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Master
Sorry you've been through it too, SG.

Enya, yeah, I see that I do it, and thanks for the book reference, and the websearch.

I feel like I'm paying for it this time. Yet if I did the cold treatment, I'd get raked over the coals for it.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:06 PM
amy green

I fully support Xan's post here (#2); am sure she has dealt with this issue in others.

I used to self-sabotage (a little) in my teens. It was to do with lack of self-worth then, i.e. low self-esteem. If something happened that reflected a significant improvement to my life, I would get scared since it didn't fit with the mental image I had of myself - put bluntly, I didn't think I deserved it and so I'd inevitably jinx it. I knew how to deal with the old, dysfunctional me but I wasn't ready to be different/healthy at that time. Don't quite know how I got out of that .... think finding my feet, being assertive, gaining confidence and feeling supported by others (being popular) really all helped.

Xan mentions how you can heal this situation (in her post above).

Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy green
I fully support Xan's post here (#2); am sure she has dealt with this issue in others.

I used to self-sabotage (a little) in my teens. It was to do with lack of self-worth then, i.e. low self-esteem. If something happened that reflected a significant improvement to my life, I would get scared since it didn't fit with the mental image I had of myself - put bluntly, I didn't think I deserved it and so I'd inevitably jinx it.

Yes, exactly ~ jinxing one's self is definitely what happens. It's like a superstition created because of the low estimation of one's self/worthiness.