Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Angel247

Question Beginner!

I am just beginning to learn about buddhism. I find the story of buddha fascinating! But I must say that I am concerned about considering myself buddhist. I have always just said that I am new age or spiritual but now I'm affraid of putting a label on what I am. I believe in just being open to anything that feels right to me. I am on the path of enlightenment so I feel buddhism is a good fit for me.
what are your thoughts on this? Have you ever had any concerns about labeling yourself? Maybe I'm just thinking way to much and that totally sounds like me but the question of religion comes up a lot these days. I just want to know what to say.
Please give me thoughts/ ideas/ experiences.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:03 PM
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel247
I am just beginning to learn about buddhism. I find the story of buddha fascinating! But I must say that I am concerned about considering myself buddhist. I have always just said that I am new age or spiritual but now I'm affraid of putting a label on what I am. I believe in just being open to anything that feels right to me. I am on the path of enlightenment so I feel buddhism is a good fit for me.
what are your thoughts on this? Have you ever had any concerns about labeling yourself? Maybe I'm just thinking way to much and that totally sounds like me but the question of religion comes up a lot these days. I just want to know what to say.

You don't need a label.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Rivendoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by yes
You don't need a label.

I agree... just be you! I myself take many lessons from Christ... Buddha... Native American Traditions... and from many other sources that fall upon my personal path... I tike to think of it as my own personal recipe... a delicious soup that gets better and better every time I make it...
Old 08-07-2011, 05:05 PM
mattie

Use What Works For You

Some are concerned about labeling their self, but this really isn’t something that is a concern of mine.

Labels are really neutral names we give things so we can have conversation about them w/ having a handy name for a thing. Taking an aversion or taboo about labels to its logical conclusion would preclude most speech! We have the useful label of fingers as it is useful to have a term so we don’t have to describe the 5 long things on the end of the 2 appendages (oops, another label) at the top of the torso (label #2). Some may find it useful to eschew any labels, but this is using the nonconformist label. If that works for them that’s fine. Others don’t have any issue w/ identifying w/ the names of whatever belief systems or portions of those belief systems that apply to their personal beliefs.

Freely take as much or as little from any belief system as you want. It isn’t the label, per se, that is the problem as it's just a name for something. The problem could possibly arise if one defines one’s self by this label, not looking past the boundaries of a given belief system. Self identifying w/ a label might make a difference w/ how others think about us or treat us, but so what. That’s their issue to work through about stereotyping.

Of course, It isn’t appropriate or necessary to arm chair quarterback others’ spiritual development for soooooo many reasons. We can give useful tips as wayshowers, but this is completely different from telling others how they should think, process things, or what they should believe. Even if some choose the option that might be unproductive for others of using a label to have boundaries that they don’t explore past perhaps it is the right thing to do for them at the moment. Maybe they NEED to savor the full experience of that belief system as part of their LEARNING PROCESS.

Others should TRUST that when it is RIGHT for that person that they will proceed w/ their journey on their own timetable. Trying to PUSH OTHERS into where we think they should be is quite inadvisable both for the pusher who hasn’t yet appreciated the value of NONATTACHMENT & disrespects the one getting the unwanted shove! What may be the right way to think, process things, or believe for one person may not be what works at all for others.

Wisdom is realizing that the right to one’s chosen beliefs is more about supporting the right for others to have beliefs that are completely opposite than having a cadre of supporters agree w/ them. This is also what is behind the concept of free speech.

Go w/ what feels right for you today. If this doesn’t feel right next month or next year, do something different. TRUST your instincts about this.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Medium_Laura

What I say if I'm ever asked is "I believe in a Higher Consciousness, though I don't need to label it to feel its power"
Old 09-07-2011, 03:13 AM
avenger

The only problem with labels is that you take on the yoke of the label. People hear that you're Buddhist, and then you are challenged to behave in a Buddhist way and fulfill every Buddhist obligation.

When you don't call yourself anything (at least not out loud), you have all the time to compose yourself, figure out your thoughts, and prep yourself for presentation to the world.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel247

Hi Angel,

Don't worry too much about labels. Try to study and practice the teachings of the Buddha -what others think about it is irrelevant - just follow your heart.

This online study guide is helpful:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/guide.htm

with kind wishes,

Samana