Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Reiki

Old 28-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Master
I had a Reiki Session but it wasn't helpful

I was curious about it. I know hospitals have Reiki for their patients... I thought I'd give it a shot. I sought out a woman who has been doing it for over 30 years, she also teaches it at two colleges and wrote a book for one college. She also teaches meditation. I shelled out money for a one and a half hour 'Reiki session" and a one and a half hour meditation session (showing me how). I came away very disappointed. She talked for most of the hour and a half (more like 2) about herself and different things and then probably 15 to 20 minutes she had me meditate...mentioned 3 types but we did two and there was nothing to it.. I could have read it here what to do. The reiki wasn't much. I thought perhaps it would be good...but she had an injury and I feared it was too much for her.. she said I didn't need her energy (but her injury felt better as she was doing her thing to me)....anyway, I left feeling quite bummed out and as though I shelled out money I really could not afford for this just to pay her to talk about herself and the Reiki didn't seem to be even an hour. She was playing music and then the music started screwing up...the room itself I was not comfortable in.... the curtains looked like something in a coffin or funeral home.

Anyway, I've since heard from others that it doesn't last long, if they do derive something out of it. The only thing I got out of it was seeing violet blue and emerald green swirls, but that was only when I meditated and when she was touching my head during reiki.

So what's the big deal about it?
Old 29-10-2014, 02:13 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarian
I was curious about it. I know hospitals have Reiki for their patients... I thought I'd give it a shot. I sought out a woman who has been doing it for over 30 years, she also teaches it at two colleges and wrote a book for one college. She also teaches meditation. I shelled out money for a one and a half hour 'Reiki session" and a one and a half hour meditation session (showing me how). I came away very disappointed. She talked for most of the hour and a half (more like 2) about herself and different things and then probably 15 to 20 minutes she had me meditate...mentioned 3 types but we did two and there was nothing to it.. I could have read it here what to do. The reiki wasn't much. I thought perhaps it would be good...but she had an injury and I feared it was too much for her.. she said I didn't need her energy (but her injury felt better as she was doing her thing to me)....anyway, I left feeling quite bummed out and as though I shelled out money I really could not afford for this just to pay her to talk about herself and the Reiki didn't seem to be even an hour. She was playing music and then the music started screwing up...the room itself I was not comfortable in.... the curtains looked like something in a coffin or funeral home.

Anyway, I've since heard from others that it doesn't last long, if they do derive something out of it. The only thing I got out of it was seeing violet blue and emerald green swirls, but that was only when I meditated and when she was touching my head during reiki.

So what's the big deal about it?

Sounds like the issue was with the person doing the session. Nothing more annoying than someone yapping away about how great they are and all they've done after you've shelled out money. Reiki and energy healing for me has made a huge difference in how I feel day to day, and also the depths to which I can clear my mind and meditate. If I have an issue with a chakra that I can't clear myself I've got a great Reiki healer here. I've also paid money at a place, gone in, and known the minute they started talking that they weren't really tapping in very far, but I politely listened, set my intent for the best good that could come out of it and learned my lesson.

Reiki has been known to help move stagnant energy along and release blockages. It goes where it is needed. When I send healing energy people almost always feel it and depending on what they're looking for it can really make a difference in their life. Sometimes it can relieve physical pain but I think it does more for emotional pain and past life healing.

I'd be happy to set up a long distance session for free if you want, to see if you have a different experience. Sorry it was such a drag!

"The Soul Does not Love; It Is Love Itself.
It Does not Exist; It Is Existence Itself.
It Does not Know; It Is Knowledge Itself."

- PATANJALI
Old 29-10-2014, 06:07 AM
AnandinBhisajKurma

Sounds like you got an ego session, not a reiki session. :(

I'm sorry to hear about you're experience. Should you ever have the opportunity to try again, with a different practitioner, you may experience something much more profound.

Best wishes to you.
Old 29-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Master
I generally keep clear of energy work between people because it distracts from the unpleasant feeling that is there and persues an invoked feeling of pleasure. One must consider how their issue was originally generated and thereafter maintained and be prepared to endure the full facing of that... and that won't happen should one avoid it by seeking out a pleasurable replacement. I don't expect this view to be an accepted view among energy workers or people who receive energy work, because it is contrary to their interests, so it's just to state a view and not intended to deride energy work or influence people in any way.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I generally keep clear of energy work between people because it distracts from the unpleasant feeling that is there and persues an invoked feeling of pleasure. One must consider how their issue was originally generated and thereafter maintained and be prepared to endure the full facing of that... and that won't happen should one avoid it by seeking out a pleasurable replacement. I don't expect this view to be an accepted view among energy workers or people who receive energy work, because it is contrary to their interests, so it's just to state a view and not intended to deride energy work or influence people in any way.

Good thought. I do think that it can become addictive and shouldn't be used in excess, and should never replace regular meditation and reflection. I believe in empowering a person to learn to heal themselves. But in a case where someone gets "stuck" on something and is having trouble sleeping, feels unsafe or
uncomfortable for weeks or months, sometimes years,
it's a natural and much healthier alternative than a drug or just feeling miserable. If someone comes to me for help, in addition to a feeling of peace and a break from the ruts our minds can get stuck in, I ask that they gain new perspective and are able to face the issue from a higher level of understanding.

I totally understand where you are coming from though. It's not for everyone and like a drug shouldn't be run to for help constantly. Sort of like how some people get hooked on psychics.

- PATANJALI
Old 30-10-2014, 07:06 PM
KevinO

What specific reason did you go there for?
Old 30-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Knower
An hour and a half for Reiki is unnecessarily long. I find half an hour is enough to be effective (I am a practitioner) but generally one hour is standard. To be honest, it makes better business sense as you can't charge so much for half an hour!

Your three hours sounds like a rip off, frankly. Constant talking is a bit suspect, too.

Reiki certainly works and can be extremely effective, although I don't do it any more unless somebody specifically asks me...
Old 31-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Master
It is often the way of practitioners to spend a lot of time at the first appointment to explain themselves and their history and what they do, how it works and the process which will be undergone. This is intended to inform the client so as they can give their informed consent. It's also supposed to clarify the boundaries of the professional relationship and establish some beginnings of a professional relationship based on trust and rapport.
Old 31-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixiewilbury
Good thought. I do think that it can become addictive and shouldn't be used in excess, and should never replace regular meditation and reflection. I believe in empowering a person to learn to heal themselves. But in a case where someone gets "stuck" on something and is having trouble sleeping, feels unsafe or
uncomfortable for weeks or months, sometimes years,
it's a natural and much healthier alternative than a drug or just feeling miserable. If someone comes to me for help, in addition to a feeling of peace and a break from the ruts our minds can get stuck in, I ask that they gain new perspective and are able to face the issue from a higher level of understanding.

I totally understand where you are coming from though. It's not for everyone and like a drug shouldn't be run to for help constantly. Sort of like how some people get hooked on psychics.

If a person is a practicioner, and particularly if paid, there are various motivations that they have ranging from preserving their egoic identity as a healer/helper/reiki master to maintaining a viable business, and the former of these is particularly troublesome.

In some cases a course of drugs is needed, which possibly isn't a popular part of spiritual healing culture, but each school of healing has ingrained biases that stymie their objectivity. Same to say that meditation isn't suited to some... besides, most meditation instructors are self proclaimed and don't really understand what they're doing.

The problem as it see it lies with in the 'Bob the Builder syndrome': the 'can we fix it Yes we can' mentality.
Old 31-10-2014, 02:26 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
If a person is a practicioner, and particularly if paid, there are various motivations that they have ranging from preserving their egoic identity as a healer/helper/reiki master to maintaining a viable business, and the former of these is particularly troublesome.

In some cases a course of drugs is needed, which possibly isn't a popular part of spiritual healing culture, but each school of healing has ingrained biases that stymie their objectivity. Same to say that meditation isn't suited to some... besides, most meditation instructors are self proclaimed and don't really understand what they're doing.

The problem as it see it lies with in the 'Bob the Builder syndrome': the 'can we fix it Yes we can' mentality.

I very much agree. By drugs in general I meant all varieties in all situations. I would certainly advise someone who is in serious physical pain/symptoms to see a doctor, and I would never encourage someone who has been diagnosed as bipolar to go off their meds and try meditation and Reiki instead, for instance. If someone contacted me and was suicidal and inconsolable or I felt they were beyond my help I would most definitely direct them to someone trained in the matter. Currently I do not charge for any energy healing but I have paid for services in the past and have been very pleased with the results. I agree that discernment is a key factor and it's so important that any healer, including doctors/therapists, truly listens to their patient and helps point them in the right direction for healing. Money and ego definitely can get in the way...as we heard from the person who started this post. I don't think we are in disagreement with that, only with the potential helpfulness of Reiki and energy healing in general.

- PATANJALI