Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 03-01-2020, 04:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I think Thailand is a Buddhist Country by name but definitely not by Nature, you only have to look at what it famous for, so sad.....

Calling yourself a Buddhist is simple, living your life as one not so easy.
What is wrong with beautiful, exotic places, great food and a rich history?

I have spoken to Thai people about your distaste for them and all they say is you are not a Buddhist and this came from a Buddhist nun and monks.

Besides, why is Buddhist who are not like you are in your mind not Buddhist? You have this same animosity toward Christians in the Christian section.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Calling yourself a Buddhist is simple, living your life as one not so easy.
On this forum, mocking and belittling people as you have done, is that a Buddhist way? As I mentioned to janielee, have either of you thought about become a nun or monk? That seems to be one goal a lot of Buddhist I know seem to pursue.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:13 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by running
its could be possible to become nothing. but that isn't required to go beyond suffering. as proven by countless people over the years.

in the process when one is limited to the mind and emotional body it could be believed that everything must die.

that is where im coming from. my perspective. you of course dont have to agree. which you already know. lol

It’s not the way I see it relayed, running.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:14 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
I am an explorer of truth and reality.

Nice.........
Old 03-01-2020, 05:15 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
On wisdom: the Buddhist ontology, or knowing, consists of 3 categories:

1) The word: One hears the Dhamma and assumes the enlightened one knows what they're talking about, and gives it the benefit of the doubt

2) Discernment: One discerns thruogh logic and reason that what they hear makes sense, seems reasonable enough, adds up, and joins the dots to form an intellectual understanding

3) Insight: On considering is seems somewhat reasonable and it might be true, one tries to find out for themselves, and through their own observation and/or experience discovers it through realisation or insight.

So the process is as follows. First you read the passage on dependent origins , for examle, and figure it's probably be relevant to the truth since Buddha said it, so you ponder it a little and kinda join the dots intellectually, and that inspires you find out if it's really true or not, and if it is true, in what way is it true.

The word is not meant to be taken as true, so discernment is a big thing in Buddhist teachings. If your discernment is that this or that doesn't make sense, seems illogical, isn't reasonable, fails to add up, then put that aside... don't take anything in blind faith.

So far as what seems reasonable, follow it inside, put it to the test, look for yourself, and you will find some semblance of truth to it, but don't then go about playing the Canon like a royal flush in a poker game.

The Canon is the philosophy behind the practice according to ontology of Buddhism.

Yes without pondering, discernment, realization, Buddhism just becomes philosophy, which wasn’t/isn’t it’s original intent

Thanks
Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 05:16 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Some say even an arhat can still get caught up in the mind..

The only person I’ve heard say that is yourself. Anyone who does is of course speculating.

Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 05:19 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy

I have gone to Buddhist temple, I have had a Buddhist empowerment. My practices are different than Buddhism. Much more in line with Kashmir Shaivism. I also believe in Divine beings outside of Buddhism.. So I am not a Buddhist..

I am glad you believe in runnings state of being. If you believe he has realized and experiences what he describes then you should also believe him when he tells people to come to my chat to experience powerful stuff.

You post there if you are such a learned Buddhist. Practice what you preach my friend.. maybe starting with Right Speech..

Going to a temple, receiving a once off empowerment, so you’re like millions of tourists - nice.

Yes, I know you’re not a practicing Buddhist, or follow its ways, it’s always been very evident to me.

Re: running, bliss is just another stage, it’s not the trancsencent truth, nor is it the infallible Dhamma, to my mind.

People have all sorts of experiences, that’s all child’s play, imo.

Ymmv

Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 05:21 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
I just wanted to make clear I was not Buddhist, because I can
see myself writing something unknowingly disrespectful.
Especially since:
1. I do Love my Creator and The Mother and His Higher helpers.
(Well all of Creation for that matter)
2. I don't know what to fully think of "Not self".
(Although you did explain the Middle Way or Path briefly.)
3. I do also believe in a soul that will Live when my body dies.

I do enjoy learning of the mind and all it's distracting ways though.
(It does like shinny objects and pie.)

Oh ImthatIm, your contributions have always been interesting, open and respectful.

Anyone, including beginners and non are welcome to contribute, I guess I’ve called out the pretenders more than most.

My apologies for giving you the impression that you might not be welcome.

Love

Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 05:26 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
What is wrong with beautiful, exotic places, great food and a rich history?

I have spoken to Thai people about your distaste for them and all they say is you are not a Buddhist and this came from a Buddhist nun and monks.

Besides, why is Buddhist who are not like you are in your mind not Buddhist? You have this same animosity toward Christians in the Christian section.

You appear to project a lot of criticism onto others.

Example, pointing out you have a problem with climate change is apparently a big issue. Sky123 (rightly) pointing out that there a distinction between culture and the teachings of a Buddha is apparently inferring there is a distaste for Thai people.

I think that you should reflect on that, unless you like roaming the forums in this way?

No disrespect intended,

Jl
Old 03-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Going to a temple, receiving a once off empowerment, so you’re like millions of tourists - nice.

Yes, I know you’re not a practicing Buddhist, or follow its ways, it’s always been very evident to me.

Re: running, bliss is just another stage, it’s not the trancsencent truth, nor is it the infallible Dhamma, to my mind.

People have all sorts of experiences, that’s all child’s play, imo.

Ymmv

Jl

There are many stages of bliss but it is important that one experience it. First in meditation and then as part of ones daily life.

As the Buddha said. Nirvana is the ultimate bliss.

While running may not follow any tradition or read much texts he is still a very deep person, as in has realized a deep level of being.

He is someone you should respect and listen too if you ask me.