Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 03-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Guide

I resisted antidepressants for many years despite suffering severe depression and suicidal thoughts. I tried many alternative therapies but none worked. In the end I went to antidepressants and within weeks felt so much more able to cope. I was on them a year, but recently I have gradually started to come off them because I am attending a weekly meditation and spiritual support group as well as receiving good support from an acupuncturist and I feel I want to try and work with my issues in more depth, something that being on antidepressants prevented me from doing.

This is just my experience and it may or may not turn out right for me, never mind anyone else. I know some people feel they simply have to be on them for life, that's their choice.

As a side note, I have found that my diet significantly worsens my depression - gluten gives me severe physiological anxiety and sugar makes me feel very low the next day.

Good luck whatever you do.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Something I learned in this long process: all of this life trauma, and learning to accept and deal with it, was and IS my spiritual path. I realize everyone has a different idea of what spiritual growth means, so just take that as my own personal observation on the matter.

Love this.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:28 PM
Experiencer
I'd suggest finding a reputable Mental/Behavioral health office that offers a counselor or someone to open up to beyond just getting meds. Each person is different and has different needs, but medication can offer a stabilizing effect to then build your platform from. It's up to you where you go with it. Integrating yoga or a meditative practice can certainly help get your mind out of your mind. Good luck, do you research on what is prescribed and have an open dialogue with the doctor as to what you wish to achieve.
“Once you realize that the road is the goal and that you are always on the road, not to reach a goal, but to enjoy its beauty and its wisdom, life ceases to be a task and becomes natural and simple, in itself an ecstasy.”
― Nisargadatta Maharaj
Old 03-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Experiencer
Response

I really appreciate all of your responses and they give me a lot to think about. Thank you so much.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Knower

I would try something natural first. I was on Zoloft for a whole year and I didn't like the way I felt on it. And it caused me sexual side effects. Wasn't worth it. And medications don't address the cause, just the symptoms. I didn't have a Zoloft deficiency.

Besides, I've recently heard that most anti-depressants don't really help with depression. They only help in a placebo sense. And some people even become suicidal on anti-depressants.

I was having a lot of depression at one point and I started eating a salad every day and a piece of fruit or two. My depression went away. So maybe eating some greens might help get the B vitamins into your diet which can positively effect your mood.

I like lemon balm for anxiety. 20 - 40 drops depending on how anxious I feel helps me relax. It's good stuff.