Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Endless_Love_2_you

Forms of Exercising

Hey guys ,so the past couple of months I have put on a lot of weight and I was wondering what kind of exercises I can do around the house and how much walking should I do ? I can't afford a gym or any gym equipment and I despise running ,I will probably take up running after I lose some weight I tried doing it and I'm too out of shape for it!

Weight : 225
Height:5'7

I have been eating right because I got scared I usually stay consistent at 208 to 210 but depression got a hold of me ..

My goal for now is 200 ,then after that I want to drop down to 160 ..

Thanks for your time

~Endless

Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 AM
Experiencer

I went from 180 lbs to 115 lbs. It was a long, tough journey. The best thing I could recommend exercise-wise is Sworkit. Google it. It's a circuit training app (you can do it online and it's free) and you basically just pick how many minutes you want to work out and what you want to work. Body weight exercises are great because they help build muscle. Muscle makes you burn calories during and long after the end of a workout.

As far as eating is concerned, there are so many opinions on what is the right thing to do. Some people say go vegan, some people say that vegetarian is fine, some people avoid all wheat... The list goes on. I'm not even going to pretend to know what is the healthiest way to eat. I've read it all. But I have read that vegetarians who eat fish once a week have the longest lifespan. I'll tell you what I did.

I pretty much ate what I wanted within my calorie limits. Most people can't do that though. Especially if you have been overweight for too long, you might have what's called insulin resistance. This makes it imperative that you avoid all processed carbohydrates. So no breads, pastas, or just about anything in a package. Insulin resistance can make it hard to lose weight, but it's still possible. Make a list of all the healthy foods you like (no sugar, processed simple carbs, or saturated and trans fats) and try to eat plenty of those foods. Don't think you have to be your own prisoner either though. You can figure out what works for you. Like I said, I ate pretty much anything that I wanted as long as it was within my calorie limits of the day. I'd say it's best to experiment and see what works and what doesn't. If you have to be super strict in order to lose weight, so be it. If you're allowed to eat one bad snack per day and still lose weight, that's fine too. Different people are different.

It's important to count calories. Different people have different opinions about that too, but at the end of the day it's what works. The way you lose weight is by eating less calories than you burn. I used caloriecount.com to keep track of mine.

You will likely hit a plateau or three. Most people who have a fair amount of weight that they want to lose do hit plateaus. I went through 2 major ones and 2 minor ones. I know what to do to get out of them. If you have any questions or need specific guidance on anything, let me know. You can message me if you want.
"It will remain remarkable, in what ever way our future concepts may develop, that the very study of the external world led to the scientific conclusion that the content of the consciousness is the ultimate universal reality." -Eugene Wigner, physicist and Nobel Prize winner.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:58 PM
CJ82Sky

i'm still struggling with weight loss, but found that walking especially with a friend keeps and gets me going. we do about 3 mi a day 3-4x a week. when i'm traveling for work, i find that walking along the beach is a great way to get out on my own and unwind and the 3 mi goes by pretty quickly. i still haven't seen a lot (if any) weight loss, but i know i'm not sore and i can walk more and further than i used to - i started out a few mos ago doing 1-2 mi and now 3 mi is easy. even walking helps, since i couldn't jog due to knee reconstruction surgery in Feb. just got the ok to start jogging and i'll do sets where i walk a block, jog a block, etc., bc i HATE running and i can't do that much due to my knees.

as for food, i try to stick to the rule that if it's not fresh, it's not good for you. but i do cheat, i do still drink wine and beer, and i limit that stuff to weekends only. and i find if i let myself eat a little chocolate when i want it, i am better about not going to town on sweets after weeks of deprivation so that's also helped a lot.

good luck and i share your struggle!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Endless_Love_2_you

Thank you guys so much for your comments I looked in to the app and I loved it! @amylou and CJ82Sky thank you I love walking I think I will try that 1-2 mile thing first and see how it goes and jog a bit after thank you for you advice you guys are great <3
Old 20-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Master

Walking is great - I know weight loss is about energy in and energy out, but as someone who loathes high intensity workouts (despite being all shizznizz with the physiology and all) it's better to do something you enjoy than force yourself to do something you won't - ultimately it's about finding something you feel comfortable sticking with :) For me, sometimes it's about focusing on the activity rather than weight loss, eg "I like my daily walks". I do it for me and because it makes me happy, and the fact that it keeps my weight down is a bonus. Ditto for the crunches I do every now and again - core strength is really important :)

Apps are great - exercise diaries are another fantastic complement. If you want to start a thread in the Yourspace forum, I'd highly recommend that - it's amazing how useful an invisible audience can be in motivating you to do what you say you'll do! :)
Old 18-07-2013, 04:37 AM
Endless_Love_2_you

Thanks tealilly
Old 18-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Master
tai chi is great for keeping your weight optimum. it returns your body's "physical" intelligence to itself. exercise that is purely "explosive" will never accomplish that and so folk do "gym" etc, for a couple of months and then stop. exercise must have an implosive element to be successful, like yoga, tai chi, chi gong,,,energy must be drawn in to energize the centre. tai chi works on the dantien, which is the point just below the navel.
for explosive training, as some must be done, i'd say hill walking would be my choice and/or a veg patch.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 18-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealily
Walking is great - I know weight loss is about energy in and energy out, but as someone who loathes high intensity workouts (despite being all shizznizz with the physiology and all) it's better to do something you enjoy than force yourself to do something you won't - ultimately it's about finding something you feel comfortable sticking with :) For me, sometimes it's about focusing on the activity rather than weight loss, eg "I like my daily walks". I do it for me and because it makes me happy, and the fact that it keeps my weight down is a bonus. Ditto for the crunches I do every now and again - core strength is really important :)

I'm another one for the walking, it's something that can be introduced easily into a normal day. There are ways of upping the ante with the walk, faster, with weights, arm movements and so on.
Old 30-08-2013, 02:17 PM
helloevo

Hello Endless, what I would recommend is walking. Start off with 30 minutes, and bump it up 10 minutes a week until you get to an hour. When you get to an hour, start jogging lightly for 30 minutes (or however long you feel comfortable) and add 10 minutes every week again until an hour, then you'll start jogging and repeat the process until you feel comfortable running.

Most people who are out of shape hate running because they try to jump right into it without working towards it and they feel discourage because it kicks their butt! The reality is if you're not a frequent runner, your joint aren't used to that sort of consistent impact, your body isn't used to the motions, your muscles aren't used to being used that way, so it literally kicks your butt and everything hurts and is sore, but if you work towards it you'll learn to love it and you'll learn a lot about yourself when it's just you, the road, and your will power.
Old 30-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Seeker

I used an app called "Noom" - Iphone & Anroid versions. It does food, exercise logging + pedometer.

It helped me a lot - The food logging part is good as it made me focus on exactly what and how much I was eating. It also reads barcodes from many supermarket foods (probably best in US or UK) which makes it easy to calculate how many calories are being consumed.

I would advise to concentrate on diet first - lose some pounds then exercise to keep the weight stable.

Doing this, I managed to drop around 25 pounds in 6 months.

Losing weight is a tough job, and I wish you well.

Thanks

Chris