Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

View Poll Results: Pick..
Human nature is egoistic, soul/consciousness is not 12 66.67%
Both human nature and soul/consciousness are egoistic 2 11.11%
Both human nature and soul/cosnciousness are NOT egoistic 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Master
Is human nature egoistic or not?

Is human nature egoistic or not?

We all fight for our own survival, for our own place, our own health and our own loved ones. We do this because it improves our situation and makes us happy. Even when we care about our loved ones, the result is that when they are happy, you are happy (usually). It works both ways. Humans are individuals and act primarily according to their own interests. We are not like ants or bugs.

We may say ''human nature is love'', but where does that love comes from? If it is consciousness, spirit or god.. it is no longer ordinary human nature. It's something else, not ''human''. When we speak about ''human'', we speak about a physical body.

And what about the soul/self (if you believe in individual spirituality), is that egoistic too? A soul/self that has its own interest and reincarnates and collects individual karma?

Egoism may have a negative feel to it, but I see it as a natural part of this world.

So what do you think?

Last edited by Chrysaetos : 02-10-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Ivy

I feel there is more harm done in denying the human ego than in accepting it and quietly understanding its purpose.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Master
This all depends on what we mean by "ego", Chrystaeos.

If we mean the personal ego self that is required for functioning in this world, it comes naturally through our growing, learning and living.

But if we mean the false, conditioned ego self-identity that is a veil over our true nature as soul and spirit, consciousness and love, then no... it is not natural but unnatural.

In the process of letting go of our clinging to an identity of any kind we become aware as our true self even while it interacts and expresses itself in this world through the body-mind.

It's not the self/ego that limits us, but the belief that 'human' is all we are... and our ego-defensive holding on.

Xan

Last edited by Xan : 02-10-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Master
WoW, beautifully said Xan.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

'Ego' is an excuse, a poor excuse.. for avoiding truth.. we are what we are, there is no separate 'ego', uncontrollable or unmanageable.. you allow and nurture that which you label 'ego', all that's left is to accept it as 'you'.. discard it, it has no meaning..

Be well..
Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
This all depends on what we mean by "ego", Chrystaeos.
If we mean the personal ego self that is required for functioning in this world, it comes naturally through our growing, learning and living.
But if we mean the false, conditioned ego self-identity that is a veil over our true nature as soul and spirit, consciousness and love, then no... it is not natural but unnatural.
In the process of letting go of our clinging to an identity of any kind we become aware as our true self even while it interacts and expresses itself in this world through the body-mind.
It's not the self/ego that limits us, but the belief that 'human' is all we are... and our ego-defensive holding on.

Xan
Hi Xan,

I think your view about 'personal ego' is similar to what I mean.
It seems that most of the things humans (and other creatures) do are in their own self interest, because they as an individual grow, learn and seek happiness.
I don't believe it is limiting us, but it's a natural part of having an earthly experience.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Sleepygrass

Hmmmm... what youre essentially asking is: what is human nature?

Last edited by Sleepygrass : 05-10-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Guide
Humans create the concept of human nature, so my choice is that ego is indeed human.

And who is to say we are not that of ants or bugs, I believe we are in debt to them for what they do in this world. They are clearly above politics and war
Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 PM
kaze

i think you can have an ego and you can lose your ego.
i lost mine and the world looks a lot better to me.
but it does take time to heal after an ego loss. it also loses some its novelty, which is whatever, how it goes.
nature makes you feel one with it. like, im the producer watching my movie play out. watching the subconscious love brewing. that i brought conscious through my own alive telepathic consciousness

Last edited by kaze : 05-10-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 PM
kaze

did kaze420 get banned?

i think option, you can have an ego and you can/could lose it.
but, pure source, i think, no ego, just love. much infinite love. calculator of love.

mind over matter, money over all

i know where im going

Last edited by kaze : 05-10-2010 at 11:22 PM.