Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 21-01-2012, 02:40 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Bear
All I can say is if you approached a Professor of Medicine and said their title didnt mean a thing, or someone who had worked very hard to gain that title, they might be a little bit miffed if you didnt recognise it!

That's perfectly understandable in the example you cite but with some self-styled or informal titles, epecially when not backed with recognised academic achievements (for example), those titles may not say much about the holder of them.

Even the title of spiritual 'guide' is one which is wide open to personal interpretation - and many individuals speak about 'their guides' without any objective evidence as to whether they can truly guide.
Old 21-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Experiencer
Serenity, I'm puzzled by your remark that most mediums cannot call on spirits at will (unless they have "special work?" I'm not sure what that might mean). I agree with the OP. I have always been able to connect with whoever I like in spirit simply by focusing on their energy, and I'm not aware of having been given some sort of special dispensation to do so. It's not something I do willy-nilly and I am always careful to follow my guidance, but I find the idea of not having that ability as peculiar as the idea of owning a telephone one can answer but not make calls with.

You speak of limitations a lot. Mediums can't do this, or there are bans on that. This does not feel comfortable to me. I feel one of the most important lessons spirit always tries to teach me is that, in the infinity of existence, limitations do not exist unless we create them for ourselves.

Mac,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Isn't it said that communication between discarnates and incarnates is via telepathy anyway? And what characterises communication with spirit individuals compared with "physical consciousness to physical consciousness" (pc-pc) communication?
It's probably understandable that pc-pc communication is more challenging - we're not equipped for it and why would we be?

Yes, I agree that both are forms of telepathy. Again, I can only speak from my own experience here, but I find marked differences between telepathic communication with a spirit or human consciousness. There is far more "resistance" when trying to establish a connection between physical minds. Generally it takes directed effort and concentration from both parties, takes time and effort to establish a connection properly, and it is a challenge trying to get through coherent information. When a spirit communicates with another spirit they do so as easily and naturally as two humans would speak aloud to one another with words. I suppose when a human is communicating with a spirit there are challenges on the side of the human receiving but what is coming from the spirit is an easy flow of communication. Therefore, when a human speaks to the spirit aspect of a person, they are communicating with that aspect of them which lacks any resistance. It "feels" like spirit communication, not human communication.

Quote:
Agreed but can we be certain they are what's being accessed in other states?
I wonder about what that achieves? Are matters markedly different from one's conscious perception of one's self? Does one's 'higher self' constantly make allowance for the shortcomings of it's 'total self'?

I don't think we can be certain about anything! Anything spiritual is practically impossible to gather any definitive physical proof about. I'm not sure what you mean about making allowance for shortcomings. I see HS as being the complete aspect of us which understands our life purpose, what we are doing and why, has access to our spiritual memories, and acts as a link between the physical consciousness and spirit - but that does not make our physical consciousness less or incomplete, just part of something larger. And that being the case, the HS can be a useful source of guidance. Personally, it is not my preferred one as I find the experience of talking to myself a little bizarre, but I know many people find it helpful. This is a good description which I would agree with, I think.

Quote:
And yet there appears to be few/no verifiable details....
I prefer to reach conclusions only when I have adequate data and I'm trying to avoid any premature conclusion that the situation is anything other than fanciful.
I'd love to learn that there might be a reliable way to reach individuals trapped in the so-called persistent vegetative state.

As I said, it would make sense to me that this is possible based on my own experiences and that of others I have spoken to. I'd also be interested in discovering more about it. It is a difficult subject to imagine finding data about, and while I'm happy to tell you what I have found, unfortunately I don't have much in the way of quantifiable information to offer about this idea as it's not an area I have explored very much myself.
Old 22-01-2012, 04:13 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westleigh
Serenity, I'm puzzled by your remark that most mediums cannot call on spirits at will (unless they have "special work?" I'm not sure what that might mean). I agree with the OP. I have always been able to connect with whoever I like in spirit simply by focusing on their energy, and I'm not aware of having been given some sort of special dispensation to do so. It's not something I do willy-nilly and I am always careful to follow my guidance, but I find the idea of not having that ability as peculiar as the idea of owning a telephone one can answer but not make calls with.

You speak of limitations a lot. Mediums can't do this, or there are bans on that. This does not feel comfortable to me. I feel one of the most important lessons spirit always tries to teach me is that, in the infinity of existence, limitations do not exist unless we create them for ourselves.

Mac,

Yes, I agree that both are forms of telepathy. Again, I can only speak from my own experience here, but I find marked differences between telepathic communication with a spirit or human consciousness. There is far more "resistance" when trying to establish a connection between physical minds. Generally it takes directed effort and concentration from both parties, takes time and effort to establish a connection properly, and it is a challenge trying to get through coherent information. When a spirit communicates with another spirit they do so as easily and naturally as two humans would speak aloud to one another with words. I suppose when a human is communicating with a spirit there are challenges on the side of the human receiving but what is coming from the spirit is an easy flow of communication. Therefore, when a human speaks to the spirit aspect of a person, they are communicating with that aspect of them which lacks any resistance. It "feels" like spirit communication, not human communication.

I don't think we can be certain about anything! Anything spiritual is practically impossible to gather any definitive physical proof about. I'm not sure what you mean about making allowance for shortcomings. I see HS as being the complete aspect of us which understands our life purpose, what we are doing and why, has access to our spiritual memories, and acts as a link between the physical consciousness and spirit - but that does not make our physical consciousness less or incomplete, just part of something larger. And that being the case, the HS can be a useful source of guidance. Personally, it is not my preferred one as I find the experience of talking to myself a little bizarre, but I know many people find it helpful. This is a good description which I would agree with, I think.

As I said, it would make sense to me that this is possible based on my own experiences and that of others I have spoken to. I'd also be interested in discovering more about it. It is a difficult subject to imagine finding data about, and while I'm happy to tell you what I have found, unfortunately I don't have much in the way of quantifiable information to offer about this idea as it's not an area I have explored very much myself.

thanks for this, Westleigh - I've printed off the page for easy reading and will come back later with some further thoughts....
Old 23-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Serenity Bear

Westleigh - just go with what feels right to you, but saying that in the long run you'll find out what is, yourself.
Old 24-01-2012, 04:58 AM
mac

Westleigh

Serenity, I'm puzzled by your remark that most mediums cannot call on spirits at will (unless they have "special work?" I'm not sure what that might mean). I agree with the OP. I have...............l one of the most important lessons spirit always tries to teach me is that, in the infinity of existence, limitations do not exist unless we create them for ourselves. Now I'm puzzled! You, Westleigh, are telling us that you can connect with more-or-less any discarnate you choose. You also say you follow guidance and don't do it willy-nilly. Are matters that simple in practice - could you contact anyone for anybody as a medium? If so then I'll have to re-think all I've learned.....

Mac,

Yes, I agree that both are forms of telepathy. Again, I can only speak from my own experience here, .............ciousness less or incomplete, just part of something larger. And that being the case, the HS can be a useful source of guidance. Personally, it is not my preferred one as I find the experience of talking to myself a little bizarre, but I know many people find it helpful. This is a good description which I would agree with, I think. The thread was too long for me to take in but thanks. I admit I'm struggling to follow your explanation though. I don't know a widely accepted definition of 'higher self' and running this same thread elsewhere it's clear that others see matters very much differently from one another. Personally I find the HS concept of " being the complete aspect of us which understands our life purpose, etc....." wholly opposite to my concept of our spirit being that. If I were to use your terminology I'd have the higher self being the connection between physical entity and one's individual spirit..... ie lowest self, body/physical, higher self being an intermediate for the highest self, one's actual spirit. That's wholly a personal issue and isn't in line with anything I've learned so I'm not comfortable with that.

As I said, it would make sense to me that this is possible based on my own experiences and that of others I have spoken to. I'd also be interested in discovering more about it. It is a difficult subject to imagine finding data about, and while I'm happy to tell you what I have found, unfortunately I don't have much in the way of quantifiable information to offer about this idea as it's not an area I have explored very much myself. The issue of communicating with an incarnate's spirit seems to me to be at least as important as evidential mediumship. With a rapidly-growing elderly population, with dementia on the dramatic rise, wouldn't a practitioner who is able to reach beyond the shell of affected individuals be a great help?

Perhaps even more so than a medium struggling to achieve transdimensional communication?

Old 24-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Toolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Bear
All I can say is if you approached a Professor of Medicine and said their title didnt mean a thing, or someone who had worked very hard to gain that title, they might be a little bit miffed if you didnt recognise it!

Doctors kill so you do want to check their history of experience to make sure they havent had any mal practise cases..

Then also the spiritual gift is not you or yours the hard work you put in is for your growth and learning but, the gift is not yours.. thats why no one can completely do whatever whenever on a 100% rate because that gift for most part is not yours..

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!
Old 28-01-2012, 04:08 PM
mac

Driving home from the movie theatre recently I was mulling over what's been discussed in this thread and in others elsewhere on the same topic.

The thought came to me that the reason I'm unable to follow or understand what's been told is that the ideas/thoughts/experiences are coming from incarnates. Thus far in my limited development I've found the only ideas which have ever rung completely true for me are those from discarnates widely seen as being highly spiritually-evolved.

Take, for example, Silver Birch. The clarity of his words, the total simplicity of what he taught, the ease with which the notions fell into place within me, I found near mind-blowing....but that was way back when - I'd never given it much thought recently. It seems I may be looking for something similar here and that's just not fair on those who are trying their best. So, sorry guys - I'd set a near impossible task.

BUT in finding that understanding was I experiencing the very thing I'd asked about? Was I using my 'higher self' to find the reason I wasn't getting anywhere? Is this one example of 'contacting one's higher self' in practice?
Old 28-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Toolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Driving home from the movie theatre recently I was mulling over what's been discussed in this thread and in others elsewhere on the same topic.

The thought came to me that the reason I'm unable to follow or understand what's been told is that the ideas/thoughts/experiences are coming from incarnates. Thus far in my limited development I've found the only ideas which have ever rung completely true for me are those from discarnates widely seen as being highly spiritually-evolved.

Take, for example, Silver Birch. The clarity of his words, the total simplicity of what he taught, the ease with which the notions fell into place within me, I found near mind-blowing....but that was way back when - I'd never given it much thought recently. It seems I may be looking for something similar here and that's just not fair on those who are trying their best. So, sorry guys - I'd set a near impossible task.

BUT in finding that understanding was I experiencing the very thing I'd asked about? Was I using my 'higher self' to find the reason I wasn't getting anywhere? Is this one example of 'contacting one's higher self' in practice?

I want to explore this more in another direction im going to start a post.. If people participate it should be interesting..

Old 29-01-2012, 01:36 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolite
I want to explore this more in another direction im going to start a post.. If people participate it should be interesting..

I'm done.....
Old 29-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Toolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I'm done.....

is someone not having a good day? we like when you play with us... I hope you can join us soon..