Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:40 PM
shepherd

Quote:
I dunno…..Many people question their beliefs and many never do. We don’t have to question them unless we feel we have to. My point was that I am not a fan of questioning 'others' beliefs, unless of course they ask me to and even then, I only share from my own experieinces.
But that is just me......

Might be a bit wierd to be on a forum where beliefs are questioned, explored and discussed then James ;0)

I find the whole true self fascinating but what seems to stand out is the conflict it can cause with the lack of acceptance for who someone is. Yes we all want to be better in various areas and that intention helps us move forward but I can't see where the dividing line is for when someone feels they are their true selves? Where does it end?

Its easy to live somewhere where there are no or little challenges in life and then go on about being true, but would the same be felt if moved to somewhere where life is very different?

A monk for example could feel very true in a church in virtual isolation but then would they feel the same in Manila or other crowded and harsh cities?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Neville

Hello bbr,

Quote:
Hi Neville. For the record, I wasn't criticizing your post

I would not be offended if you were, Now please allow me to illucidate a little, To explain from where my stance originates

My logical mind is having a great deal of trouble with accepting that any part of a person is false, as would seem to be being implied by the suggestion of the existence that beneath all of the facade of our image there exists a true self,

I do accept that this might be semantics on my part because if a person speaks of their soul or "divine self" whatever one of those is, it fails to establish the existence of a false self, A false self who's existence from thebeginning of my discussion in this thread I have been attempting to dismiss,

Perhaps thatts what is my personal issue, the concept that any part of a person , especially the external image that they live eat and breath on this planet with might in some way be false, Because if it is false, it renders our physical existence a complete mockery lacking any meaning. because it's false .

Boy I'm glad i got that out of my system.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
Might be a bit wierd to be on a forum where (other's) beliefs are questioned, James

exactly!!!!!! It is wierd........
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
bbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
My logical mind is having a great deal of trouble with accepting that any part of a person is false, as would seem to be being implied by the suggestion of the existence that beneath all of the facade of our image there exists a true self
But I'm not suggesting that our current self (as opposed to our true self) is a false self. Rather, we continually expand into truer and truer versions of selfhood as we live, learn and grow. And from that POV, the current self could be considered the complete "true self" at any given moment. And if that's what you and Shepherd are saying, then I can certainly agree with that.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 PM
bbr

Quote:
Yes we all want to be better in various areas and that intention helps us move forward but I can't see where the dividing line is for when someone feels they are their true selves? Where does it end?
There would be no "ultimate true self" or final endpoint. Like all growth, the development of self is in a continual state of transformation and expansion.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Neville

Hello again bbr,

I think we are in agreement.

Quote:
the current self is always the complete "true self" at any given moment

That is in my view a spot on appraisal, and dismisses entirely the existence of a an equal and opposite false self to the "true self"
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
shepherd

Quote:
But I'm not suggesting that our current self (as opposed to our true self) is a false self. Rather, we continually expand into truer and truer versions of selfhood as we live, learn and grow. And from that POV, the current self could be considered the complete "true self" at any given moment. And if that's what you and Shepherd are saying, then I can certainly agree with that.

Sort of. I think we are always our true self no matter what judgement we give ourselves or is given to us. We keep on evolving through life experiences and this just is still part of being true as life is ever evolving as the universe continues expanding. What we deny in ourselves is part of the whole and we could call it false, an illusion, the ego etc but its still part of the evolving whole. We are complete in each moment, but the inner conflicts we have will suggest other wise. I find for me personally accepting who i am right now rather liberating but it doesnt leave me complacent and without the enjoyment of knowing I am changing in each moment too as I continue to expand with the universe.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 PM
bbr

Quote:
We are complete in each moment
Well, I'd have to say yes and no to that perspective. Twenty years ago I was a somewhat miserable and unfriendly sort of person. I certainly wasn't perfect. And I'm certainly glad that I, to a large degree at least, overcame those personal shortcomings from my younger days. I understand the new-age take on self-acceptance and loving oneself. But I'm absolutely not the person I would like to be, even now, and I'm see myself on a happy life quest to improve upon all that, always. And I don't see a problem with that -- it's a grounded, realistic perspective IMO.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Master
true self is based on the assumption that existence or nature is inherently good and light.
so that a drunkard that beats his children is deemed to be not acting in alignment with his true self.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 PM
shepherd

That sort of reminds me bbr of a client I was working with who would lose their weight and reach their goal in 10 months. They said to me " I will be happy then," which set alarm bells ringing.

They went onto explain that they wouldnt be happy until they reached their goal. I asked if it had always been this way and they said "yes". They also lifted up their fat and said "how could I be happy with this? If I am happy then I would not be motivated to change."

I could see the reasoning yet it was this unhappiness that was causing the weight gain and another 10 months of being unhappy would create another failure and so the cycle is repeated. So together we hatched a plan to be happy now and to love losing weight, to love being lighter, healthier and to appreciate their life and health now.

It worked.

We may not always be what we want to be but we are complete and ever changing. an embryo is complete, an egg is complete, a caterpillar is complete, a cocoon is complete and so is the butterfly. All different stages happening naturally.

The love for life can be create quite a change and its amazing what can happen right now when we are happy right now.
Closed Thread