Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 20-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Exactly, and that's why it's important to have a good understanding of the purpose of practice. One thing you will notice here is enormous focus on experiences while meditating. As far as I'm concerned the important experience is when It reveals Itself, and by "It" I mean the true nature of Consciousness. All other experiences are to be viewed as any other distraction, at least if one is following the path of knowledge. Perhaps the purpose is different for those pursuing the path of devotion? I'm not really sure because I haven't delved deeply into that path but I would imagine the purpose would be for the deity being meditated on to manifest and all other experiences are distractions.
Agree with all that. For me personally, meditation is as much as anything about becoming conscious of what is obscuring It, because of course It is always present, and techniques such as observing or counting the breath help to keep one's attention anchored in one's present-moment experience, which is where those obscurations are to be found.
Old 20-01-2021, 12:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Very funny -for those not from England....regarding beaches and beach towns-

''Skegness ranked bottom out of more than 100 others....
It achieved the lowest possible score for its attractions, peace and quiet, scenery and value for money ...''
Thanks for clarifying, I dare say that comment left quite a few people a tad mystified
Old 20-01-2021, 08:49 PM
Seeker

The more years we devote to this ancient practice the more we realize that it is seperate for of awareness that once we reach, we can then begin to ignore technique after that.I play the piano since a child and spent years with scales and arpeggios,notation, and theory.I never think of technique anymore, with meditation or playing the piano, as it is embeded into my awareness like walking or sleeping.I find it very refreshing to meet people that think like me on this subject as it is a point of argument among spiritual seekers.As in learning the piano, students spend years discovering how to navigate the expanse of 88 keys with most folks eventually giving up, frustrated with the many complexities......The art of meditation is not easier than learning the piano, and to control our monkey mind, most find completely impossible.Spiritual seekers must understand the depth of the awarenes field they are attempting to access.Our thinking mind can't access these levels of consiousness so we learn advanced meditation techniques that slowly become a Non technique, until we finally get to "BE" and " Do Nothing".......It is hard to be proud of such a feats but few understand the meanings, until they get to where we are,which is a lot more humble than when we started out.
Old 20-01-2021, 09:32 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Here are some general points regardless of type of practice.

Understand the purpose
Understand the practice whether technique or no technique
No expectation
No manipulation
No chasing after or clinging to experience
Consistency is more beneficial than duration
There's no such thing as a bad sitting
Old 20-01-2021, 10:10 PM
Master

Quote:
Very funny -for those not from England....

''Skegness ranked bottom out of more than 100 other....
It achieved the lowest possible score for its attractions, peace and quiet, scenery and value for money ...''

In defence of Skeggie:

Peace
Old 21-01-2021, 12:35 PM
Master
That chap's on the front of the Bill Bryson book I'm currently reading, funnily enough:

Quote:

Understand the purpose
No expectation
No manipulation
Excellent summary, agree with these points.
Old 21-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Color

Quote:

Understand the purpose
No expectation
No manipulation
When you hold an empty cup ...do you not expect it to be filled? I surely do!

I understand this is a particular approach ..it's not mine...and so far so good!

If I plant corn, I expect corn.
When I plant myself in silent stillness for hours - I expect God Himself to visit ...I've prepared a place for Him.
He has no choice - love and stillness are the draw.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 21-01-2021, 02:30 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
When you hold an empty cup ...do you not expect it to be filled? I surely do!

I understand this is a particular approach ..it's not mine...and so far so good!

If I plant corn, I expect corn.
When I plant myself in silent stillness for hours - I expect God Himself to visit ...I've prepared a place for Him.

Typical Bhakta!

If any label comes close to describing my approach it's Jnani and in the Advaita sense. That being said unlike a traditional Advaitan Jnani I don't practice meditation in the sense of Patanjili's Yoga Sutras and didn't even engage in Vedantic meditatoin otherwise known as Neti Neti Self-inquiry of the type advocated by Ramana Maharshi.

My breakthrough practice that I've referred to as resting in awareness is identical to Shikantaza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikantaza

Unlike many other forms of meditation, shikantaza does not require focused attention on a specific object (such as the breath); instead, practitioners "just sit" in a state of conscious awareness.

Odd combination, eh? An Advaitan Jnani utilizing Zen meditation. LOL!
Old 22-01-2021, 06:31 AM
Master
Quote:

Old 22-01-2021, 12:53 PM
PureEvil760

Quote:

It's never his choice, always yours. He doesn't visit because hes always already here. We perceive things backwards, God is actually what real normal is.