Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 29-03-2023, 06:54 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirisilex
Buddhist Deities. I was taught that the Buddhist Deities were not Gods but celestial beings they are Godlike but not really Gods. Deity is synonymous with god so this interpretation is wrong. Why they call them deities in the Buddhist texts that we have in english is beyond me.

You're probably referring to Tibetan Buddhism, when you say 'Deities' or another word they use is Yidam. Tibetan Buddhism is a form of the Mahayana (or Greater Vehicle) which is thought to be a later development of the Theravada (Vehicle of the Elders). Also Mahayana Buddhism and it's Tantric aspects incorporated some of the indigenous 'Deity' and 'Shamistic' worshipping that was present when it entered countries such as Tibetan, China and Japan. Is this the source of your confusion ? Or are you referring to something else within the Theravadin Suttas ?

__________________________________________________ _____

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 29-03-2023, 08:16 AM
Master
The 'Shoshin technique' is interesting (imo) regarding preconceived notions.....
Old 29-03-2023, 11:10 AM
Master

Ok thanks Sky. Will check it out.
Old 31-03-2023, 10:53 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
To me Jesus was a Buddha, a realized being who turned the wheel.

What sets apart's Yahusha(Jesus) is prophecy of his coming by Yahuah(YHWH)
Isaiah 42 1,4,5
Quote:
1Behold My Servant, whom I uphold, Mine Elect, in whom My soul delighteth: I have put My Spirit upon Him; He shall bring forth judgment to the Nations.
4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till He hath set judgment in the earth; and the isles shall wait for His law.”
5 Thus saith god YHWH—He that created the heavens and stretched them out, He that spread forth the earth and that which cometh out of it, He that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

and other evidence such as Shroud of Turin, according to laser experiments required "the total power of VUV radiations required to instantly color the surface of linen that corresponds to a human of average height, body surface area equal to = 2000 MW/cm2 17000 cm2 = 34 thousand billion watts " and again that is only for the surface of it.
Sources:
https://calendarforlife.org/blog/it-...roud-of-turin/
Most Recent Research Appears to Confirm the Shroud of Turin is the Burial Cloth of Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lMQlI32wE

Are there any of these such titled "buddha's or enlightened have any evidence of demonstrating such light or might?
In other words his authority comes from Yahuah.
Many of the customs from Hindu or other nations are deemed foolish and/or hateful by Yahuah according to the given law.

In the bible's Pslam(IIRC) these idols(including Buddhist deities),deities if real, are demons. Take the way they are depicted ,described or their customs. some have ghoulish aspects or rub the ashes of the dead on their body parts or drink blood from cups made of skulls.

According the book of Enoch, they are the offspring of sons of god, the watcher's who fell, Nephilim and woman, their soul or spirit is confined to the earth. Many evils are probably because of them. And since they no longer have a body, they try to posses these who have. which is why things such as eating food offered to idols (or other form of worship) are forbidden for its a way for them to enter or posses.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:06 PM
Master
Wondering how the seemingly contradictory tradition of Christianity having an actual cross,I suppose it's akin to an idol of sorts,one on which a blood sacrifice was offered with the tradition of bread and wine,does it follow on from an earlier practice.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc
You're probably referring to Tibetan Buddhism, when you say 'Deities' or another word they use is Yidam. Tibetan Buddhism is a form of the Mahayana (or Greater Vehicle) which is thought to be a later development of the Theravada (Vehicle of the Elders). Also Mahayana Buddhism and it's Tantric aspects incorporated some of the indigenous 'Deity' and 'Shamistic' worshipping that was present when it entered countries such as Tibetan, China and Japan. Is this the source of your confusion ? Or are you referring to something else within the Theravadin Suttas ?

__________________________________________________ _____

I would have to disagree with your history.

Theravada and Mahayana lived together for a long time.

Most people confuse the fact that Theravada published their teachings first as somehow a testament that they are the original Buddhism.

A Yidam represents the aspects of a Buddha. In Buddhism you are not really doing a tantric practice with a different being, more an aspect of yourself. Still a very powerful and advanced practice.

Here is a nice article that explains the differences between the 3 yanas.

https://learning.tergar.org/wp-conte...hree-Yanas.pdf

Last edited by jonesboy : 04-04-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:51 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
A Yidam represents the aspects of a Buddha. In Buddhism you are not really doing a tantric practice with a different being, more an aspect of yourself. Still a very powerful and advanced practice.Here is a nice article that explains the differences between the 3 yanas.

https://learning.tergar.org/wp-conte...hree-Yanas.pdf

No problem. Nice resources thanks. I think your words in quotation might help to answer the original post. I felt the posters quandry had something to do with the 3 yanas.
A simple example of this might be listening to someone from the Theravadin Tradition such as Ajahn Sumedho and realising that Deity worship is not present in his Teachings or Doctrine.
And then obviously within something like Tibetan Buddhism and Vajrayana the mention of Deity and Yidam etc. is integral.

__________________________________________________ ___________

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 06-04-2023, 10:48 AM
Master

PODSHELL: “Christ said he is the only way to god”

Perhaps when he said this he didn’t mean thru him personally but more about what he taught.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:34 AM
Master

It's funny to think of deities in religions and how similar they are to the idea of super hero's in comics and movies. Sadly humans can't do a lot of stuff and get old and die. Or not really die, move on to life out of the body. But we love to imagine these beings with super powers, super hero's, or deities or Gods. As a kid, I liked to think about cool things when I went to bed at night. One fantasy I loved to think about was finding a magic ring that allowed me to do anything. Like ask any question and get an answer. "Is their really life after death? etc. Or do anything, like make every nuclear weapon and power plant disappear. Make all war weapons disappear! Make it impossible for anyone to have more than one baby, (to reduce over population) Get rid of pollution etc. If only I found a magic ring! I could fix the world.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:17 AM
Master
We have the power to change a lot,a lot of negatives can be ridded by accepting our lot,simple living-community,clean air,water and unadulterated food,we've lost the basics in pursuit of a material gods.