Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
1 1/2 hours, that's fantastic. The candle is a cool meditation too, I reckon.

I think you can go forward intuitively, and let the meditation lead, like, relax, and see where it goes. (I guess that's what you did the first time).

Sounds awesome.

Thanks, but it was 85 minutes of nodding-off, feeling itchy, and fidgeting - rewarded by only 5 minutes of feeling very good. I don't know why meditation is so hard for me. Probably the regions of my brain used for meditation are very weak.

I'll try using intuition like you suggest. I hope it gets easier with practice.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:42 AM
Knower
Also, do things like fasting, exercising, sleepiness, and mood affect meditation? I have read that some monks believe eating and sleeping dull the mind. I've noticed that the runner's high from exercising makes me feel happier but it also makes me feel less introspective?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:43 AM
Master
....... double.........
Old 03-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-sky
Thanks, but it was 85 minutes of nodding-off, feeling itchy, and fidgeting - rewarded by only 5 minutes of feeling very good. I don't know why meditation is so hard for me. Probably the regions of my brain used for meditation are very weak.

I'll try using intuition like you suggest. I hope it gets easier with practice.

No worries, feeling good or feeling sleepy or itchy makes no difference, and it happens to everyone. Balanced mind is calm with all kinds of experiences. There is nothing weak about one who can practice for 85 minutes, that's strength right there.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Lots of cultures eat with their hands and their teeth are arranged the same as those who use chopsticks or cutlery. Very highly questionable theory, no evidence for it at all.
Interesting article on the subject here. I've also seen fossilised skulls that had the teeth aligned edge-to-edge, though I can't link it up (saw it on a programme called 'QI'). It would appear that the theory isn't entirely without foundation; either way, in my experience the alignment of the teeth does cause a subtle change in the breathing, with the mouth closed in its 'normal' position it causes some tightness in my stomach.

As I say - it's had some beneficial effects for me, I thought it was something worth sharing.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Interesting article on the subject here. I've also seen fossilised skulls that had the teeth aligned edge-to-edge, though I can't link it up (saw it on a programme called 'QI'). It would appear that the theory isn't entirely without foundation; either way, in my experience the alignment of the teeth does cause a subtle change in the breathing, with the mouth closed in its 'normal' position it causes some tightness in my stomach.

As I say - it's had some beneficial effects for me, I thought it was something worth sharing.

I remembering hearing of that before on IQ actually, now that you mention it. Could be right about the overbite. I question the theory because a lot of cultures eat with their hands and have the same teeth. When I visited tribal people who tear things with their teeth, they also have the same teeth with overbite. It would have to be evolutionary, because infant's teeth form that way genetically. There does seem to be quite a lot of things that don't fit the theory, so I don't believe it. Internet is full of crazy stuff too, so a pinch of salt with everything for me.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I remembering hearing of that before on IQ actually, now that you mention it. Could be right about the overbite. I question the theory because a lot of cultures eat with their hands and have the same teeth. When I visited tribal people who tear things with their teeth, they also have the same teeth with overbite. It would have to be evolutionary, because infant's teeth form that way genetically. There does seem to be quite a lot of things that don't fit the theory, so I don't believe it. Internet is full of crazy stuff too, so a pinch of salt with everything for me.
I'm not sure about other cultures, it may also be related to what we're eating, from what I've read - we eat smaller chunks of food, and our food is softer. What we're eating and how we're eating it has apparently caused our incisors to lengthen, which has had a knock-on effect on the alignment of our jaws.

From what I've read, anthropologists agree that the alignment of the teeth changed about 250 years ago in western society, which just happens to be when we started to use cutlery. In China it changed much earlier than that, because they started to eat with chopsticks.

Daft as it might sound, have you actually tried to put the theory to the test by putting your teeth edge-to-edge and seeing the effect it has on your tongue position and breathing?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Seeker
Just for those interested I tried a guided meditation that I found on YouTube about 5 minutes ago and had to come straight on here to tell you how it went... fabulous.

It's the first time after meditating that I really felt a change afterwards, I came out of it feeling positive and glowing. It might not have led me to completely lose myself in my own mind but I am so pleased with the start.

If anyone is struggling to get started just search on Youtube for the sort of meditation you want and give it a go.
I did a chakra based one that comes up when you first search guided meditation.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
I'm not sure about other cultures, it may also be related to what we're eating, from what I've read - we eat smaller chunks of food, and our food is softer. What we're eating and how we're eating it has apparently caused our incisors to lengthen, which has had a knock-on effect on the alignment of our jaws.

From what I've read, anthropologists agree that the alignment of the teeth changed about 250 years ago in western society, which just happens to be when we started to use cutlery. In China it changed much earlier than that, because they started to eat with chopsticks.

Daft as it might sound, have you actually tried to put the theory to the test by putting your teeth edge-to-edge and seeing the effect it has on your tongue position and breathing?

If I relax, my bottom jaw slackens loosly, and my teeth don't touch at all. My tongue sort of floats there in the middle of my mouth without touching anywhere. The breath operates just fine and I don't use any controlled breathing technique. I do practice the breath meditation that Buddhists call anapanasati.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
If I relax, my bottom jaw slackens loosly, and my teeth don't touch at all. My tongue sort of floats there in the middle of my mouth without touching anywhere. The breath operates just fine and I don't use any controlled breathing technique. I do practice the breath meditation that Buddhists call anapanasati.
That's probably a better way of doing it, tbf (though I find that my tongue doesn't float freely, it naturally sticks to the top of my mouth behind my teeth - don't know why). Either way, I try and avoid meditating with my mouth clamped shut in its 'normal' position, as for me that creates some tightness in my stomach.