Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 18-04-2018, 06:07 AM
Master
Which is your favourite version of the New Testament?

I've decided to purchase the NT as a separate volume and do some serious reading. I have the whole Bible in the New International Version, but I wanted the NT on its own because it will be smaller and more manageable. Plus I want to focus on Christ for the time being.

There are lots of versions to choose from. So far I've settled on The New Testament For Everyone by Prof. Tom Wright (The ex Bishop of Durham). There are other versions that catch my eye. One of the most interesting is The New Testament: A Translation by David Bentley Hart which is a contemporary version.

Do you have a favourite version?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 18-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
I've decided to purchase the NT as a separate volume and do some serious reading. I have the whole Bible in the New International Version, but I wanted the NT on its own because it will be smaller and more manageable. Plus I want to focus on Christ for the time being.

There are lots of versions to choose from. So far I've settled on The New Testament For Everyone by Prof. Tom Wright (The ex Bishop of Durham). There are other versions that catch my eye. One of the most interesting is The New Testament: A Translation by David Bentley Hart which is a contemporary version.

Do you have a favourite version?

You would need to read all versions ( hundreds of them) to choose a favourite, so no I don't have one. I have never read the bible in any version from beginning to end, it has never interested me since I finished my education when you are forced to learn it like a parrot repeating verses but never having the choice to discuss what you are reading. Now I prefer Gnostic gospels.

To each his own. If it brings you comfort then it's all good, enjoy it Honza
Old 18-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Master
I've never had the Bible forced upon me, or Christianity either. Have only read snippets from either the OT or the NT. So now I find I'm curious.....

Old 18-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Master
Just to add a further note. I've been critical of I AM and the eastern influence, but that does not mean I'm rejecting it in favour of Christianity. Christianity gets scrutinised and so should I AM and the New Age. We are in a spiritual DISCUSSION forum where we can explore any spiritual issues. I don't see why the East should have it easy while the West gets hammered.

Old 18-04-2018, 09:19 AM
Master
New age and other spiritual beliefs as well as Christian beliefs are constantly questioned by me, every single last one.

In fact the only reason I refer to myself in a sense Christian, is because I feel this way simply about my God, feel he is closer to the Christian God more so than any other.

I am actually monotheistic pagan, I worship one God, but am pagan therefore do not adhere to the hate in the bible written most evidently by fallible human beings with their own perceptions.

Therefore I refer to myself as having faith in a "Christian- like God" meaning despite being pagan I do not worship Apollo, Anubis, Bast, Aphrodite, Hades or any other.

So do not be surprised if "She says she is Christian"! but you see me in the mediumship or divination forum, because granted you will.

I will not take the bible out of context I realize well enough by "Do not suffer a sorcerer to live" it was meant not to suffer a poisoner to live. And rightly so.

I do not really have a favorite version of the new testament. I have the one I currently read which is within the KJV.

This one suffices fine for me. It is legible.
Old 18-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Master

You made a good decision in buying a Bible you can carry with you and read regularly.

I have used several different versions over the years (and I am 77 years old so that is a lot of years) but now I use the English Standard Bible.
Old 19-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Master

For convenience, the Gideon NIV New Testament fits in a pocket
I think the NIV is very good all round

Funky new versions like the message one and others... are hit and miss
I don't like them but they are part of the scene now for better or worse
I really dislike them actually, but the younger Christians won't be convinced differently.. but it's probably the least of our worries as any Christian will always acquire the older more reliable ones sooner or later

The KJV has some beautiful poetic moments. The language is dated now so can be hard to relate to. Holy Ghost? A wise Christian knows to understand this as a living spirit but the connotations are a bit strange to modern ears and many other words too. That why the NIV is so likeable as a modern language update

The profusion of translations is a good thing as befits a living faith even if some are pretty wild and questionable, better that than a lifeless , boring faith any day!
Old 24-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Experiencer
Although I use the N.K.J.V. Study Bible. If I had to choose a N.T. Bible as a Catholic, I would choose the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament, Second Catholic Edition RSV.
Old 24-04-2018, 10:13 PM
kjw47

I have studied religions and bible content-- Trinity based translations were all done from Catholicism translating. They all teach 2 different gods. Gods personal name was removed in nearly 6800 places OT alone-Every spot-GOD or LORD all capitols in the OT. YHWH(Jehovah) belongs. That makes them altered right there, but there is proof of many errors to mislead. No originals were left when the protestants translated--No one was even aloud to read the bible until the 1300,s or so, they burned the men alive who tried to translate before the 1300,s or so- almost 1000 years after the councils were held. Does a religion that has Jesus stop mortals from reading Gods word= never. One puts there eternal life into Catholicism translating. Not a wise path to walk. They brought in statues, icons, graven images along with their translating. They as well turned 2 pagan false god worship celebrations into 2 celebrations to Jesus and brought the pagan practices off the table of demons in as well( 1Corinthians 10:21)--God said one cannot partake off that table. The lists can go on and on.
Old 25-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47
I have studied religions and bible content-- Trinity based translations were all done from Catholicism translating. They all teach 2 different gods. Gods personal name was removed in nearly 6800 places OT alone-Every spot-GOD or LORD all capitols in the OT. YHWH(Jehovah) belongs. That makes them altered right there, but there is proof of many errors to mislead. No originals were left when the protestants translated--No one was even aloud to read the bible until the 1300,s or so, they burned the men alive who tried to translate before the 1300,s or so- almost 1000 years after the councils were held. Does a religion that has Jesus stop mortals from reading Gods word= never. One puts there eternal life into Catholicism translating. Not a wise path to walk. They brought in statues, icons, graven images along with their translating. They as well turned 2 pagan false god worship celebrations into 2 celebrations to Jesus and brought the pagan practices off the table of demons in as well( 1Corinthians 10:21)--God said one cannot partake off that table. The lists can go on and on.

Modern translations are based on manuscripts that existed before the Catholic Church became powerful, so they can't have been influenced by the church. On the other hand there is a modern translation produced by a group that denies the Trinity that has been altered to support the beliefs of that group.

https://carm.org/bad-translations-je...ld-translation