Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 14-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Master
I think one has to balance honesty and trust together, so the most honest inspires the most trust, because we are really talking about being truthful, which entails both honesty and trust.

I don't think banal brutal honesty inspires trust where a little white lie is more appropriate so 100% honesty is actually less truthful than a fair discretion.
Old 14-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Master
Hello,

When being "honest" what is the honesty based on? Is one giving a true evaluation of the person or the situation or expressing a personal opinion?
If it is a personal opinion, then what determines whether that opinion or view point is the truth or not?

I feel it comes down to how much you trust the other person and whether what he/she expresses is reflecting what one observes or is willing to agree with.

Is 100% honesty really 100% honesty? Is honesty based on what ones belief, outlook, intent, or opinion?

Perhaps being discreet is being honest. One is truely respecting the others feelings and the group.
Old 14-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
Apparently most people value honesty yet we all lie everyday.

Could you handle people being 100% honest with you all the time and could you be honest to others 100% honest all the time?

No.........
Old 14-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Master
There is quite a difference between 'brutal' honesty... which is focused on what you think is true about someone else; and simple honesty... when one expresses what they think and feel, without projection or blame.

Xan

Old 14-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
...yet we all lie everyday.
Going against the flow here but...
I do not lie everyday and reject that sentence into my consciousness.
It's not the truth.
That's how I work - if something is an untruth - I bounce it off me.
What can I say. It's not true.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 14-11-2010, 11:37 PM
celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Then that wouldn't be honest would it ?.

It depends on the definition of 'honesty' from your personal dictionary
Old 15-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
There is quite a difference between 'brutal' honesty... which is focused on what you think is true about someone else; and simple honesty... when one expresses what they think and feel, without projection or blame.

That was nicely put Xan.

As a poker player, 50% honesty is out of the question, let alone 100%.

Old 15-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by celery
It depends on the definition of 'honesty' from your personal dictionary
Yes we all seem to use our personal dictionary to find the best words to cover up our dishonesty.
Old 15-11-2010, 10:26 AM
shepherd

Quote:
Going against the flow here but...
I do not lie everyday and reject that sentence into my consciousness.
It's not the truth.
That's how I work - if something is an untruth - I bounce it off me.
What can I say. It's not true.

I know some others who think this too and maybe its true but all psychology studies show that despite how honest people claim they are, when filmed having conversations and watching it back, they were asked to point out any inaccuracies and sure enough there were plenty. We are actually hardwired within to be deceptive to others as well as ourselves.
People are so engaged in managing how others perceive them that they are often unable to separate truth from fiction in their own minds.

Its just the way it is.
Old 15-11-2010, 10:55 AM
celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Yes we all seem to use our personal dictionary to find the best words to cover up our dishonesty.

I think we are speaking completely different languages here. I'm sorry. For me what people call brutally honest has nothing to do with honesty itself. For me it's nothing but a lack of tact and empathy toward others when talking.

From the harsh way you talk to me, I can guess what you are talking about, so no need to elaborate, I understand. Thank you for your time.
(By the way, this is an example of an honest reply and I'm sure you can find an example of a brutally honest one)