Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Affirmations

Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Do affirmations work?

Hi everyone.
I was believer in affirmations, subliminal messages and I thought that they have power. Not any more.
Affirmation is a unit of information which is being installed into system by repetition. There are different ways and techniques. In the beginning they seem to work as our desire to see the results is the intent itself. The longer one uses the affirmation the more clear it becomes, that it does not work so well. Like I can repeat to myself that "I am the power of the universe" but I am not gonna become that ultimate power.

The problem with affirmations is that we are trying to change what is. We are looking at our situation and judging it as something needed to be improved.

The true way to change is not by installing "right" but uninstallung "wrong".
All the conflict in the head is there because of conflicting beliefs.

So my invitation here is to try out a new "affirmation", more like a question really:

Is it true?

By looking at a given problem see if it is really true.

Try that with everything, it will deffinitely bring more light!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Lostgirl

Sounds like a plan.

I always saw affirmations as something to boost confidence....my sister used to write hers down and then read them back every night. They said things like 'I am confident' and 'i am my own person' and 'i wont give in'......Thats how ive always imagined them and that they are they to give you a boost....

Who knows, ive never really tried them but i would happil do so for the purpose of your exercise...
Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Experiencer
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 315
So my invitation here is to try out a new "affirmation", more like a question really:

Is it true?

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean with "Is it true?". When I see that I am in doubt, I do know that it is true...Of course it is because otherwise I would not be afraid.

I work with affirmations from time to time and they DO definitely work with me. My only problem is the doubt which occures when I try some really "big" and life-changing affirmations.

Flora

-

E. A. Poe​

Old 03-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Master
315... Simply repeating an affirmation over and over usually doesn't work, because there's more to it than that.

Here's an article for more understanding and suggestions: Your Creative Powers of Mind - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3885

Xan

Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Ciqala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 315
Hi everyone.
I was believer in affirmations, subliminal messages and I thought that they have power. Not any more.
Affirmation is a unit of information which is being installed into system by repetition. There are different ways and techniques. In the beginning they seem to work as our desire to see the results is the intent itself. The longer one uses the affirmation the more clear it becomes, that it does not work so well. Like I can repeat to myself that "I am the power of the universe" but I am not gonna become that ultimate power.

The problem with affirmations is that we are trying to change what is. We are looking at our situation and judging it as something needed to be improved.

The true way to change is not by installing "right" but uninstallung "wrong".
All the conflict in the head is there because of conflicting beliefs.

Is it true?

that is the whole point of affirmations to begin with.
your idea is the way it IS supposed to be.
it obviously won't work if we are focused on how ungrateful we are.
Old 14-12-2010, 07:40 PM
moonlight2

I love affirmations

Yes I support affirmations.
Old 14-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Sangress

I've always looked at people doing affirmations and wondered whether it was just a way of repeating something so much that you "think" it has happened....sort of a controlled delusion.

Then again, the things I say are going to happen do happen, so that could be a kind of affirmation.

To be honest, I don't know whether affirmations work or not.

However, I do know that I don't need them because all things I gain in life come to me of it's own accord and I want nothing more than that.

Focusing and putting effort into getting some kind of effect seems like it is a lot of wasted effort to me.

So in short: I'm undecided. Overall answer is "Maybe."
Old 14-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Richinside

Cat Affirmations must make sense..

I believe in affirmations, however they must make sense and they must be specific.
If I say to myself I will be the strongest man in the world, that doesn't make sense. it isn't measurable and it is not specific. If I say I will bench press 50 pounds, ten times in succession within 10 weeks, that is an affirmation i can make come true.

They also don't just happen - you must work for ANYTHING to become reality. Only a dope relies solely on hope.

Keep affirming the positive!!
Old 23-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Bellasong

Well they didn't work for me. But then i always was thinking what i wanted to happen but also had many worries it wouldn't. So i dont know if the worries i couldn't shake messed it up or if the worries were a sign or my intuition saying it wasn't right, wasnt going to work? Like maybe i was trying to force something that wasn't suppose to be?

Love and Peace,
Bellasong
Old 24-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Master
315 - I see "affirmations" as a means of reactivating positive inner dialogue. Sometimes we need that positive inner dialogue silently to ourselves as a gentle reminder that things are not as bad as they may seem or that they are going to get better if we keep up our "affirmations." For example, whenever I am around a particular person he is extremely draining of my positive energy because of his negative outlook on life. The way I combat his negative chatter, sarcastic rants, and general complaints is to keep up an inner dialogue with myself that includes affirmations to myself that "life is good" or "he is sad and depressed so don't take it personally" and lastly I just try to affirm the ineffectiveness of his words by telling myself..."your words are going in one ear and out the other and are falling dead on the ground." So "affirmations" for me are a method of surviving. Thanks for bringing up this interesting question.

Blackraven