Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 AM
The Eagle

The practical side of religious/spiritual beliefs

The practical side of religious/spiritual beliefs

The question of religion relies on one thing for me - "Why?' - and 'Where is that idea come from?' These questions are the bain of every religion stating it is the one true belief - because why and the 'where did that idea come from?' is explained by saying "god". That to me is a lack of explanation.

What I believe is important is to see the roots of a belief or religion - why have rules - or why is god is stating "you must do this" . The answer for me is simple - there is always a practical element to these beliefs not a spiritual one.

Taking god out of the rules - most religions have don't kill, don't steal, don't cheat on your missus. etc. These are not religious rules - they are rules for society to maintain order - not many would argue with them. Where did the idea come from- god? or people wanting to live in a settled society? - Rich people - kings, pharaohs etc wanting to maintain their rule by order. saying god made the rules - helps this king maintain order so he can stay rich and society can grow and give him ultimate justification for these rules.

An important part of many religions is ceremony. The roots of ceremony are to do with people not being able to read and write and having a way of passing down information to the next generation. This was not based on god telling people to act a certain way or burning some smelly things brings you closer to god - it was people living their lives in a routine for a practical reason. Routine becomes ceremony - ceremony becomes rules of a religion.

Many religious beliefs come from simple survival hints - i.e. eating certain foods. It is more practical to not eat meats that are difficult to cook to avoid food poisoning. The practical side of dietary laws are based on this idea - not that the animal is evil or dirty but just our ancestors found it difficult to survive on it.

Moreover there are several things that every religion has that can be linked to basic human survival - for example sacrifice. Getting to the root of the idea of sacrifice we look at the first sacrifice. Hunter gatherers - this can mean something as basic as putting back some eggs in a nest - not taking them all. Therefore guarantying the future food resource. That is sacrifice. You are sacrificing some food in order to be able to tap into the source at a later date - i.e. survival. The concept of sacrifice came from enabling survival. We can see further evidence of this - Is a cow revered because it is so special - or by killing it you remove the food source for a longer period of time? Its about respecting nature as the thing that lets you live.

It is managing the resources around you that enables survival - now that may seem stupid compared to sacrificing animals or humans to appease the gods, or indeed a sacrifice of a demi-god for peoples sins. But that's where we must remember what has happened - the personification of the universe. Religion and spiritual beliefs were founded on the basic human survival requirements. Sun, Water, Food, Family, Shelter. As religion and civilization grew these basic things grew into personifications - we then have the sun god, god of the sea, god of love, god of war etc etc humanisation of the different aspects of the world. Personification of the universe is exactly what happened to religions of Egypt - and the middle east and therefore the progression into christianity. I believe it is the ultimate egotistical act of mankind to humanise the world and universal processes - and even humanising god.

It is clear looking at every religion that there is a progression of beliefs. This is a normal thing to occur - we can say that there is a greater understanding of the world around us - or greater understanding of god. But that does an injustice to the people that lived before us - no religion sprung up and maintained the original beliefs. It is people living - building their beliefs on the previous generations beliefs that builds society - and builds the religion . If religion wasn't deemed so important by people then it is just another thing that we continually change and adapt to help society live its life . An idea or concept of god changing is no different to an idea of slavery or democracy changing. But there lies the problem - many people think that that beliefs and therefore god are constant. We just need to look at every religion and every generation to know that this is just not true.

In my opinion it is clear that religious beliefs have come from practical elements of survival. These beliefs have been built upon by every generation from hunter gatherers to modern day society, changing and adapting to the society , the people live in it and the political aspirations of the people making the rules. That in my opinion is a key thing to consider when considering religion and spiritual beliefs.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Master
Sounds reasonable enough Eagle, though a bit like calling an 800 lb Grizzly a cuddly little furball. Sure, that's what it was once upon a time, when it was young and just starting out. I'm not one for spiritual/religious doctrine and dogma as you can tell.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
The Eagle

Well i think we give power to things by believing in them - but seeing the root and the development unites all religions and all belief systems and all spirituality - and indeed all mankind.

in my opinion of course....... lol
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
moke64916

Religion was created by man.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle
seeing the root and the development unites all religions and all belief systems and all spirituality - and indeed all mankind.
That's a nice sentiment, but spiritual and religious belief systems are anathema when it comes to self-realization and inner development. IMO of course.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by moke64916
Religion was created by man.
As was spirituality and all the new-age doctrine people believe in.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 AM
The Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
That's a nice sentiment, but spiritual and religious belief systems are anathema when it comes to self-realization and inner development. IMO of course.

hmmm.... well i think it can be a useful tool but as they get people thinking - but sticking by set rules never changing - yes i agree.

i personally disagree with terms like inner development. i view more as directions of conciousness.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Maiya

The Eagle,

I think I understand what you are saying. I'm not a religious person but I like to think of myself as an intuitive and spiritual person.

Religion is very complex. I think there are religious people who would admit to the Bible, the Koran, whatever, being a sort of guide that they live by.

I also believe we are going through some amazing changes in our thinking. With all the information available to us today, we no longer have to depend on the information contained in a few books to know how to live a decent life. We can do our own research, come to our own conclusions and develop our own personal belief system. I think this is what spiritual types are doing.

It's not a case of religion verses spirituality. From where I'm sitting, it looks like religious types are in 'if it aint broke don't fix it' mode and spiritual types are in a 'there's more going on here than meets the eye' mode.

This kind of thought goes beyond practical. I don't suppose you could consider a monk sitting in meditation for hours very practical and yet that is just what some of the wisest men on this planet do every day.

I don't want to offend any religious people who may be reading this. These are just some thoughts I had while reading your post.

For me - and I could be wrong - religious types seem ... struggling for an appropriate word here ... stationery; satisfied with what they have read, been told, and believe.

I find spiritual types always seeking more information, somehow knowing that there is so much more to learn about themselves and the world they live in - and beyond.

If I’m way off what you posted about, sorry.

I will be happy to read more of your ideas and thoughts.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
The Eagle

i see wht you are saying although i think its doing a diservice to say that religious types are not spiritual types also.

where i stand on spirituality is that no matter how you approach your life - that it is spiritual.

i think we forget that spirituality is also in things like war - there is a spirituality involved with the physical life - whether its love or hate, peace or war - its all spiritual and the approach we take to these things is spirituality - because it involved us.

we tend to find a belief system that fits with out individual personalities - so religious types there is nothing wrong with that its no less spiritual than someone that doesnt believe in any god as the spirituality is directed towards other things.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle
i personally disagree with terms like inner development. i view more as directions of conciousness.
You disagree with the idea of developing and working on one's consciousness? I don't understand your comment.